About the Lab/PSB
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotech campus in Ghent. Belgium. Its mission is to integrate genetics, genomics, and bio-computing to unravel plant biological processes and to further translate this knowledge into value for society. Please visit us at www.psb.ugent.be for more information.
Within the framework of an ERC Starting Grant, the lab of Prof. Inge De Clercq aims to understand how plant cells perceive environmental signals (e.g. from attack by pathogens) and translate this into appropriate defense responses. We focus on studying the central role of intracellular organelles (mitochondria, chloroplasts, and the ER) in stress signal transduction, and uncover the mechanisms of how these organelles communicate with each other through stress-induced contact sites. To this end, we will use interdisciplinary approaches by combining high-end cell biology (confocal and super-resolution microscopy), proteomics, proximity labeling, molecular biology, genetics, (single-cell) transcriptomics, metabolomics and bioinformatics.
An ERC Starting grant-funded postdoc position is available in the group of Prof. Inge De Clercq at the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) and Ghent University, Belgium. You will study inter-organelle (between mitochondria, chloroplasts, and the ER) communication during the plant’s interaction with fungal and bacterial pathogens. Your project is embedded within the ERC-STG grant, entitled “COSI: Understanding organelle communication through COntact SItes in plant stress responses”, which will study the direct association between organelles through stress-induced contact sites by implementing state-of-the-art cell biology and proteomics approaches. With this exciting project, we seek to provide new mechanistic and functional insight into how stress signals are perceived and transduced between intracellular organelles and how they are translated into appropriate defense responses in the nucleus. You will design and implement tools to detect the dynamic (or reversible) association between organelles and characterize the dynamic proteome at their contact sites. You will also be involved in guiding Ph.D. projects focusing on this topic.
- You have a Ph.D. degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology, Bio-engineering, or equivalent.
- You can plan and conduct research independently and accurately.
- You have a keen interest in intracellular signal transduction, organelle/cell biology, proteomics, and plant-pathogen interactions.
- Excellent English communication skills are required.
Desirable but not required
- Experience from Ph.D. and/or postdoc in plant cell biology, confocal microscopy, and proteomics is a plus as well as a publication record in peer-reviewed journals showing clear expertise in these areas.
- Experience in supervising Ph.D. students is not required but also considered a plus.
Key personal characteristics
You should work well in a team as you will be integrated into the international research environment of the VIB-UGent Center of Plant Systems Biology and participate in international collaborations.
- A 2-year postdoc position with possibilities for prolongation.
- An exciting and innovative project embedded in the ERC-STG 2020 grant ‘COSI’, covering an interesting combination of state-of-the-art techniques including cell biology (confocal microscopy and high-resolution microscopy), proteomics, biochemistry (monitoring dynamic protein-protein interactions, proximity labeling), genetics, molecular biology, plant physiology and various omics approaches.
- A multidisciplinary and highly stimulating and supporting international research environment.
- Access to state-of-the-art tools and infrastructure.
- Various training opportunities are organized at VIB to broaden your expertise and skills (training.vib.be).
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online.
- A 1 –page motivation letter expressing interest in and suitability for the project
- A 1-page summary of past research activities and how they are in line with the research topic
- Detailed CV including publication list
- Contact information of 2-3 referees
in one pdf document.
The first review of applications will start immediately. A shortlist of applicants will be selected and invited for interviews.
The position remains open until a suitable candidate is found.
Interdisciplinary Ph D Position In Quantitative Cell Biology And Biochemistry, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic PhD candidate with a strong background in cell biology, (bio)chemistry, (bio)physics or closely related fields to join the Cell Cycle Dynamic...
Ph D Student In Computational Systems Biology At Cic Bio Gune, Asociación Centro de Investigación Cooperativa en Biociencias - CIC bioGUNE, Spain, 20 days ago
The Computational Biology Group at CIC bioGUNE seeks a highly skilled and motivated PhD student to work on an exciting project that aims at developing a computational framework for modeling stem c...
Ph D Position In Developmental Biology (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student who will join our research efforts to understand how epithelial cells become polarized, functionally specialize, and function. Cell polarity – the...
Postdoc Position (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 18 hours ago
The research group Meiosis is interested in the process of plant meiosis that generates genetic variation through homologous recombination that is harnessed in plant breeding. To support our team...
Ph D Student In Plant Physiology, Stockholm University, Sweden, about 7 hours ago
at the Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences . Closing date: 21 May 2021. Research and education at Stockholm University at the Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Science...
Postdoctoral Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 18 hours ago
The Leibniz-Institut für Analytische Wissenschaften - ISAS - e.V. is a research institute dedicated to the development and improvement of analytical methods and tools for health research and relat...