Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology, Belgium , in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder to work on microglia biology and neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative diseases using bioinformatic tools and integration of multi-omics datasets. The Mancuso lab uses CRISPR tools, iPSC and humanized mouse technology to unravel the role of microglia in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis on microglia biology in the context of frontotemporal dementia (FTD).
- Microglia and neuroinflammation play a central role in FTD and other neurodegenerative disorders. You will investigate disease causing genetic mutations alter microglia function in vitro and in vivo. You will work with unique datasets from a variety of omics platforms, from diverse in vitro and in vivo human microglia xenotransplantation systems, with the final goal of elucidating the molecular and cellular mechanisms by which disease genetic risks manifests.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and critical candidate with a strong background in bioinformatics and data analysis, particularly transcriptomics and/or proteomics data.
- You hold a master’s degree in bioinformatics, related disciplines or equivalent through experience.
- Prior experience with programming in R or Python, and with data analysis of –omics data is considered an advantage.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Proficient in verbal and written English.
- Ability to summarize data extracted from literature and to define research objectives.
- Passion for science, self-motivation, flexibility, and team spirit.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will work at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology in a world-class research environment with state of the art research facilities.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time).
- Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- a letter of motivation explaining why you are interested in our work and aspire this PhD position
- your academic CV incl. a list of publications
- the names and contact details of 3 references
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Renzo Mancuso (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Sofie Meulenbergs (email@example.com )
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Doctoral Scholarship Holder Primary Care, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 3 days ago
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp The Department of Family Medicine and Population Health of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of the Universiteit Antwerpen is looking for a...
Ph D In Performance Modeling And Optimization Of Future Wi Fi Networks For Real Time Low Latency..., University of Antwerp, Belgium, 23 days ago
Job description Imec imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology ...
Ph D Candidate In Cancer Systems Biology: Understanding Metabolic Reprogramming In Triple Negative..., Radboud University, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Metabolic reprogramming allows cancer cells to rapidly consume nutrients and produce biomass. Targeting this altered metabolism can be a very effective treatment strategy, but development in this ...
Ph D Candidate Parkinson’s Disease, Erasmus MC (University Medical Center Rotterdam), Netherlands, 14 days ago
PhD candidate Parkinson’s disease PhD candidate Parkinson’s disease Published Deadline Location yesterday 17 Oct Rotterdam Job description This project will study how genetic variants in the DJ-1 ...
Ph D Candidate Parkinson’s Disease, Erasmus MC (University Medical Center Rotterdam), Netherlands, 13 days ago
This project will study how genetic variants in the DJ-1 and MPAN genes lead to neurodegenerative disease. To address the research questions, the candidate will use a multi-omics approach to study...
Postdoc Or Ph D Student In Unfolded Protein Response In Gut Homeostasis, VIB, Belgium, 2 days ago
About the lab and the project The VIB Center for Inflammation Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences institute and is connected to Ghent University. Our center focuses on the mechanisms driving...