Department: Faculty of Law
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, university. We offer innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Law is looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder for the project “Taming ecosystem power of platforms through contract and competition law”.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis on the channelling of ecosystem power of platforms through (consumer) contract and competition law. You will analyse the triple role of platforms (i) as gatekeeper to the platform, (ii) as legislator of the relationships within the ecosystem and (iii) as contractual actor with rights and responsibilities within the ecosystem. This research aims to come to a power balancing mechanism in the triangular relationship between platform and the participating firms and consumers, whereby excesses of platform power are curtailed in favour of other market participants, without eliminating platform strengths and the platforms' welfare benefits. To do so, the three aspects of platform power need to be integrated in one legal model that is tailored to the specific ecosystem and the problems need to be tackled through a holistic approach combining consumer law, contract law and competition law solutions.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Faculty of Law.
- You hold a Master degree in law or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are interested in the application of the law, and in particular (consumer) contract and competition law, in the digital economy.
- Specific knowledge of or experience with technology law, economic analysis of law, consumer law, competition law and/or (qualitative) empirical legal analysis is considered an advantage.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years (maximum four years). Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at the Stadscampus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV and your study results.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please already note that the interview will probably take place in the week of 30 August.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact email@example.com .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Ph D Position Professional Responsibility In Artificial Intelligence Health Decision Making, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 7 days ago
Faculty of Law – Department of Public Law The Amsterdam Law School prides itself on its international orientation and strong social commitment. This is reflected by both its research and educatio...
Research Scholarship, Instituto Nacional de Investigação Agrária e Veterinária, Germany, 15 days ago
Position for one Research Scholarship for a Graduate, within the scope of the Horticultural Genetic Resources Conservation Project, PDR2020-784-042736 ANÚNCIO Nº 12/2021/BI Instituto Nacional de I...
Ph D Position Professional Responsibility In Artificial Intelligence Health Decision Making , Universiteit van Amsterdam ;, Netherlands, 12 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated and well-organized PhD researcher, who has preferably graduated in a research Master, specialized in health law or with comparable health law expertis...
Ph D Student In Law, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland, about 7 hours ago
Institution: Department of Insurance Law and Medical Law (Faculty of Law and Administration) Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (Poland) Project PhD@NCU : (Protection of patient’s dignity in ...
Ph D Candidate/Junior Lecturer In Marketing And Responsible Innovation (0.8 1.0 Fte), Radboud University, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary: € 2,836 - € 4,474 Nijmegen School of Management Required background: Research University Degree Application deadline: 12 September 2021 The Departme...
Faculty Of Law Student Support Award The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1 day ago
About the scholarship Application status: Not currently open for applications Applicable study: Undergraduate or Postgraduate study in the Faculty of Law Opening date: 3 February and 4 July Closi...