Department: Department of Biomedical Sciences
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Biomedical Sciences and the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time
doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Neuroimmunology
The Mancuso lab uses CRISPR tools, iPSC and humanized mouse technology to unravel the role of microglia in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis Neuroimmunology. You will investigate the role of microglia, the immune cells of the brain, in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. You will use iPSC-microglia, in vivo xenotransplantation models as well as CRISPR technology and molecular biology techniques to unravel the molecular mechanisms by which microglia interact with neurons and other brain cells in health and disease.
- You will be part of the MIND lab, at the VIB-Center for Molecular Neurology.
- You will be expected to publish scientific articles and present in conferences the data related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks.
- You hold a Master degree in Neuroscience, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry or related topics, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- You have background in cellular and molecular biology.
- Experience with iPSC, mouse work or bioinformatics will be considered as additional strengths.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have good oral and written communication skills in English
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 January 2024 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 14 December 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button and complete the online application form. Be sure to include the following attachments:
- a detailed academic CV
- a letter of motivation explaining why you are interested in our work and aspire this position
- the names and contact details of 2 references
- The selection committee reviews all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision is made, we will notify you. If you are still eligible after the pre-selection, you will be informed about the possible next step(s) in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to [email protected] . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact [email protected] . For more information about the research center and the lab, visit Mancuso lab
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Doctoral Scholarship Holder European Competition Law, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 9 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field Juridical sciences » European law Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium Application D...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder Digital Archaeology, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 9 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field History » Archaeology Mathematics » Statistics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium ...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder Dynamics Of Climate Extreme Events, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 33 minutes ago
2 Mar 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field Computer science » Other Engineering » Other Environmental science » Earth science Mathematics » Computational ...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Applied Immunology & Immunotherapy, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 3 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to improving human health? To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual...
Ph D: Linking Neurodevelopment And Mitochondria In Human Neurons Using I Psc And Xenotransplantation, VIB, Belgium, about 17 hours ago
PhD position: Linking neurodevelopmental disorders and mitochondria in human neurons, using iPSC and xenotransplantation We are looking for an ambitious PhD student with a broad interest in interd...
Ph D In Deep Learning, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 3 days ago
1 Mar 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Department Electronics - ICT Engineering Research Field Computer science » Programming Geosciences » Hydrology Environmental s...