Department: Department of Physics
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Physics in the Faculty of Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Experimental Nanophysics.
- You will work actively on the preparation of a PhD thesis in the field of functionalisation of carbon nanotubes through endohedral filling. This PhD project is part of a European Pathfinder project, 3D Bricks, which aims for the 3D bio-fabrication of high-performance DNA-carbon nanotube digital electronics. Within this PhD thesis, your goal will be to fill carbon nanotubes with electron donor or acceptor molecules, that can result in n- or p-type doping of the host carbon nanotubes. It is expected that the doping can be finely tuned by the specific choice of the encapsulating molecules. After filling the carbon nanotubes, you will investigate this doping by a range of spectroscopic techniques, including absorption spectroscopy, wavelength-dependent resonant Raman spectroscopy, infrared fluorescence-excitation spectroscopy and hyperspectral imaging as well as electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. These doped carbon nanotubes will then be further processed by the other partners of the European consortium, and integrated into bio-fabricated 3D electronic devices. This project thus lies on the borders of physics and chemistry, and you will also be able to collaborate with the 9 other European research teams and companies that are united within the Pathfinder project.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project, and write reports for the other consortium partners.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the physics department.
- You hold a Master degree in Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science or you will have obtained it by the start date (preferably July 1st 2023)
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Experience in experimental research, in particular spectroscopy, is highly appreciated. Knowledge of scientific software such as Matlab (or similar) is essential for the detailed data analysis of your experimental results.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 1 year. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for 2 more years. Within the 3D Bricks project funding is already available for 3 years, but additional funding for a fourth year can be applied for if needed.
- The planned start date is July 1st 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including June 15th 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button and complete the online application form. Be sure to include the following attachments:
- a motivation letter
- your academic CV including the scores for the Master courses you followed
- a summary of your master thesis
- the contact details of two references.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Sofie Cambré or Wim Wenseleers (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Doctoral Scholarship Holders Chemistry, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 12 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field Chemistry » Analytical chemistry Chemistry » Biochemistry Chemistry » Computational chemistry Chemistry » Inor...
Doctoral Scholarship To Perform Research On (Area Specific) Social Impact Of The Use Of Geological Resources, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 20 hours ago
28 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field Environmental science » Other Sociology » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium...
Joint Ph D Project “Measuring Ethics And Integrity In Sport Organisations” At Ku Leuven And Norwegian School Of Sport Sciences, KU Leuven, Belgium, about 1 month ago
29 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KU Leuven Research Field Economics » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium Application Deadline 11 Sep 2023 - 00:00 ...
Ph D Student: Resolving Surface Reactions In Plasma Catalysis (Surplas) , ARCNL, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Surface reactions on metal model catalysts in plasma environment This PhD position connects the two active research fields of surface science and plasma chemistry. The project aims to understand t...
Ph D Student Statistics And Infectious Disease Modeling, UHasselt, Belgium, 28 days ago
1 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UHasselt Department HR Department Research Field Mathematics » Statistics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium Application...
Ph D Position In Femtosecond Study Of Molecular Cages And Photocatalytic Water Splitting , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Molecular cages are self-organizing supramolecular systems that act as molecular sieves, allowing specific molecules/ions to enter the cage while blocking most other molecules and ions. This selec...