Department: Department of Biology
The Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Enhanced Weathering for Climate Change Mitigation
- You will work actively on the preparation of a PhD thesis on the PhD project ‘Biotic controls of the potential of enhanced silicate weathering for land-based climate change mitigation.’ This project aims to quantify the CO2 sequestration through enhanced weathering of basalt rock powder and the role of important biota (plants, mycorrhizal fungi and earthworms) on these processes. Potential side-effects of basalt application on plants and soil will also be determined.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will conduct field work in Belgium to evaluate the land-based climate change mitigation potential of enhanced weathering and how this is affected by biota.
- You hold a Master degree in (Bio-) Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or related sciences or you will have obtained it by the time you start. Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You should demonstrate English language proficiency.
- You have a great interest in climate change mitigation, soil chemistry and experimentation.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 April 2020 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 20 January 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV. A reference letter from your master thesis advisor would be welcomed.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Sara Vicca (email@example.com )
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In Gravitational Wave Instrumentation, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 7 hours ago
Department: Department of Physics Regime Full-time The Department of Physics in the Faculty of Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of gravitational ...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In Evolutionary Computational Genomics, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 21 days ago
Department: Department of Biology Regime Full-time The Department of Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of e...
Ph D Student Positions In Phase Contrast X Ray Imaging, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 25 days ago
Department: Department of Physics Regime Full-time PhD student positions in Phase Contrast X-ray Imaging (f/m) Description: The microstructure of an object determines its properties. It tells you ...
Ph D Vacancy In Artificial Intelligence For An Automated Lab, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 21 days ago
IMEC imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound soft...
Postdoc Position In Modelling Ocean Alkalinity Enhancement Strategies And Ocean Resilience Patterns From Biodiversity Data , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 11 hours ago
A postdoc position, initially for two years, with start from 1 May 2021 or as soon as possible after that, is offered at the Department of Biology , University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark...
Ph D Position On Supporting Climate Change Deliberations Via Artificial Intelligence, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 3 days ago
Collective action by all stakeholders (e.g., public administrators, scientists, and citizens) is necessary to tackle a global societal challenge such as climate change. Collective action requires ...