Department: Department of Physics
The EMAT research group from the Department of Physics in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of electron crystallography on scanning electron microscopes.
The holder will work under the supervision of Prof Jo Verbeeck (University of Antwerp).
EMAT (Electron Microscopy for Materials Science) has an open position for a PhD student that will be part of a team developing the possibility to determine crystal structures using diffraction data obtained through an adapted scanning electron microscope. Structure determination from electron diffraction data is a recent and rapidly progressing field providing an alternative to standard X-ray diffraction techniques. Up till now this has been done on transmission electron microscopes, but in this project we will explore the possibility to make the technique more widely available and easily applicable by using an SEM (scanning electron microscope) instead. The PhD student will contribute to this goal by developing the experimental setup, including smart data acquisition strategies for electron diffraction on SEM instruments, gaining optimal control over the sample movement, improving signal processing routes, dealing with large amounts of data and designing and testing creative new ways to hold the samples in place.
EMAT is one of the leading electron microscopy centers in the world and has a vast expertise in both fundamental and applied electron microscopy. EMAT has several state of the art electron microscopes including two aberration corrected, high end FEI-Titan instruments, a dual beam FIB, an environmental SEM,... More about us at our webpage .
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You present your work at national and international workshops and conferences.
- You hold Master degree in Physics, (Electronic) Engineering, Materials Science or Materials Engineering or you will have obtained it by the time you start working.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You like to think of creative solutions, and are eager to create new instruments hands-on and to develop and maintain the code that drives them.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 1 year. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another 3 years.
- Exciting research on a path towards a PhD with possible future into a spin off venture
- You will have the opportunity to be immersed in a world-class, dynamic and stimulating work environment with state-of-the-art instrumentation and computing facilities.
- You will do most of your work at campus Groenenborger in a dynamic and stimulating working environment, with frequent visits and interactions with the group
- The start date is as soon as possible.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including January 14, 2021(by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- a motivation letter,
- your academic CV (including followed courses, honours, previous work, programming skills, publications, …),
- a weblink to a short video introducing yourself,
- a list and grades of the courses from that you took during your studies (Bachelor and Master),
- contact info of 2 professional referees.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. Additional information about job itself can be obtained from: Prof. Jo Verbeeck, Jo.firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Doctoral Scholarship Holder To Work On An Impact Evaluation Study In Eastern Dr Congo, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 16 days ago
Department: Institute of Development Policy (IOB) Regime Full-time The Institute of Development Policy (IOB) of the University of Antwerp is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship ho...
Ph D | Uranium Speciation And Corrosion Mechanisms In Nuclear Fuel Materials, The Belgian Nuclear Research Centre, Belgium, 11 days ago
The principal type of nuclear fuel material, which remains widely used today, is uranium dioxide (UO2 ). It’s main constituent, the element uranium, has the highest atomic weight occurring natural...
Ph D Scholarship In Diffraction Based Energy Resolved Neutron Imaging Of Li Ion Batteries Under Operation, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 5 hours ago
Join our team to develop new advanced diffraction-based energy-resolved neutron imaging methods to visualize the microstructure evolution and transport of Li in rechargeable Li-ion batteries in or...
Ph.D. Position In Microbiology And 3 D Printing Of Biofilms, BOKU Wien - Department of Nanobiotechnology, Austria, 12 days ago
The project Bacteria within a biofilm are up to 1,000-fold more resistant to antibiotics and are inherently insensitive to the host immune response. This is particularly relevant for patients affe...
Ph D Student “In Depth Study Of Chalcogenide Materials For Photo Electrocatalytic Reduction Of Co2... (# Of Pos: 2), Hasselt University (UHasselt), Belgium, 16 days ago
Background http://www.uhasselt.be/IMO;%20https://www.energyville.be/ rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.uhasselt.be/IMO; Job">https://www.energyville.be/ Job content Within the ...
Ph D Candidate (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology (Leibniz-IPHT) offers the following position (50%) in the Research Group “Silicon Nanostructures”starting April 1st, 2021 PhD candidate (f/m/d) The pos...