Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The research group Antwerp Cultural Heritage Sciences (ARCHES) of the Faculty of Design Sciences of the University of Antwerp and the Ghent Centre for Digital Humanities (Ghent CDH) of Ghent University are looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Digital Heritage.
- You actively work on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of Digital Heritage, more specifically data reuse in archaeology. Your PhD research will focus on developing a metadata modelling strategy to maximize archaeological data reuse. You will be employed as part of the Transforming data rEuse in ARCHaeology (TEtrARCHs) project funded by the CHANSE programme (https://www.era-learn.eu/network-information/networks/chanse/transformations-social-and-cultural-dynamics-in-the-digital-age/transforming-data-re-use-in-archaeology). The project brings together a European network of archaeological specialists, data scientists, and museum practitioners and aims to develop innovative workflows for archaeological field, post-excavation and archival practices and producing the world’s first controlled vocabulary for cultural heritage storytelling. It also aims to provide the first assessments of the effectiveness of data reuse in archaeology and the first best practice recommendations for trusted digital repositories to optimise archaeological data for reuse in the context of cultural heritage storytelling.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You perform a limited number of educational and research-supporting tasks for the master’s degree in heritage studies at the University of Antwerp.
- You will carry out a joint doctorate in the Heritage Studies doctoral program at the University of Antwerp and the Digital Humanities doctoral program at Ghent University, with your main institution being the first. You will be embedded in the interdisciplinary ARCHES research group and work closely with Ghent CDH.
- You have (or obtained on the start date of your PhD) a master's degree in heritage studies or archaeology, or a relevant related field within the humanities (e.g. Digital Humanities).
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- You preferably have (practical) experience with digital applications in archaeology and/or heritage, in particular those related to metadata models and standards.
- You are familiar with theory and critical approaches to digital archaeology and/or digital heritage.
- You are familiar with the challenges and opportunities related to the digital heritage data infrastructures across Europe and the forthcoming collaborative cloud for Europe's cultural heritage.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Experience with Omeka S or comparable web-publishing platforms is a surplus.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 2 January 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Stadscampus Mutsaard in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 24 November 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV with all details that are relevant for the position and a two page research plan for a four year PhD research.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: 08 December 2022 for the interview of the selected candidates.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Dr. Hélène Verreyke (firstname.lastname@example.org ), Dr. Piraye Hac?güzeller (email@example.com ) and/or Dr. Christophe Verbruggen (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Ph D Fellow In Genomics And Archaeology Of Reindeer Domestication And Its Impact On The Northern Human Diets And Ecosystems Of The Past , UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway, 10 days ago
Adnan Icagic 28th February 2023 Languages English English English The Arctic University Museum of Norway and Academy of Fine Arts PhD Fellow in Genomics and archaeology of reindeer domestication a...
Ph D Fellowship In Digital Religion And/Or Didactics Of Religion , University of Stavanger, Norway, 10 days ago
30th January 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Fellowship in digital religion and/or didactics of religion Apply for this job See advertisement Job description The University...
Ph D Fellowship In Offshore Wind Energy , University of Stavanger, Norway, 11 days ago
12th February 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Fellowship in Offshore Wind Energy Apply for this job See advertisement Job description The University of Stavanger invites ap...
Ph D Position On Coastal Heritage And Climate Change, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Built Environment Reference number V38.6257 Job description Are you passionate about cultural heritage and eager to learn more about the impacts of climate ...
Ph D Fellowship In Computational Fluid Dynamics And Drill String Mechanics , University of Stavanger, Norway, 9 days ago
9th March 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Fellowship in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Drill String Mechanics Apply for this job See advertisement Job description PhD Fel...
Ph D Fellowship In Computational Statistics , University of Stavanger, Norway, 11 days ago
26th January 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Fellowship in Computational Statistics Apply for this job See advertisement Job description The University of Stavanger invites...