Department: Cell Biology and Histology
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Antwerp is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Laboratory of Cell Biology and Histology & Laboratory of Medical Microbiology/Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute for a
Doctoral Grant in the area of Inflammation and Infection.
The Molecular Pathology group of Cell Biology & Histology (link) at the University of Antwerp is a highly dynamic team focusing on human clinical trial samples as well as preclinical animal models and
related to infection and inflammation. Together with Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute (link) , the team is investigating host factors in pneumonia following a multidisciplinary and multi-omics approach. This doctoral project is part of a larger European H2020 project entitled ORCHESTRA (Connecting European Cohorts to Increase Common and Effective Response to SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic, call: Pan-European COVID-19 cohorts [SC1-PHE-CORONAVIRUS-2020-2D]) aiming to build a network utilizing pan-European cohorts of SARS-CoV-2 patients to
- Assess SARS-CoV-2 risk factors for infection
- Identify epigenetic, immunological, microbial, and viral markers for SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Homogenize data sharing for increased surveillance
- Homogenize sampling, storage, and analyses
- Estimate the COVID-19 burden
In this doctoral project, we intend to comprehensively profile cellular immunity and serology of the host antibody response to SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viral infections with the aim of identifying markers indicative of disease severity and long-term immunity in COVID-19 patients as well as in vaccinated individuals.
- You contribute to the multidisciplinary research and publish scientific articles related to your research project
- You interact and efficiently collaborate with other members of this highly multidisciplinary team
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of molecular pathology of pneumonia
- You coordinate biobanking activities pertinent to management of patient samples collected during this trial together with laboratory technicians and the biobank manager
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Bioengineering, or equivalent degrees
- You have outstanding academic results
- You have a strong background and experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, and biology.
- Certification to work with laboratory animals holding at least a FELASA-B or equivalent certification (link) is a plus
- You are fluent in written and spoken English and have excellent communication skills
- You can work both independently as well as in an international team
- You are an excellent planner to meet milestone and deliverable deadlines
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, and creative
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy .
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after a positive evaluation
- The start date of the scholarship will be July 1st 2021 or sooner
- A gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.373,36 to € 2.516,73
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online , until the closing date April 21st 2021 and should include a copy of your CV, transcript, and a motivation letter
- A pre-selection will be made from the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between April 25th and April 30th 2021
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from email@example.com
- For questions about the profile and the description of project, please contact Prof. Samir Kumar-Singh (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Interdisciplinary Ph D Position In Quantitative Cell Biology And Biochemistry, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic PhD candidate with a strong background in cell biology, (bio)chemistry, (bio)physics or closely related fields to join the Cell Cycle Dynamic...
Ph D / Post Doc In Biophysics , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 3 hours ago
03.05.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal Living cells rely on the ability of the cytoskeleton to continuously form and destroy diverse structures, which is strongly coupled to the adhesion processe...
Ph D On Electrokinetically Driven Microchips For Immuno Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
At the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), we currently have a vacancy for a postdoc in the field of microfluidics. To investigate the crosstalk betw...
Ph D Position In Developmental Biology (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student who will join our research efforts to understand how epithelial cells become polarized, functionally specialize, and function. Cell polarity – the...
Open Ph D Position In Active Biomaterials , Technical University of Munich, Germany, 2 days ago
29.04.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Nano- and Microrobotics lab is looking for an exceptional PhD candidate to further the development active biomaterials for stem cell research. About us ...
Postdoctoral Position – The Role Of The Actin Cytoskeleton In Peripheral Nerve Degeneration, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 15 hours ago
Department: Center for Molecular Neurology Regime Full-time Postdoctoral Position – The role of the actin cytoskeleton in peripheral nerve degeneration The Jordanova team at the VIB-UAntwerp Cen...