Department: Epidemiology and Medical Statistics
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) position for a
Doctoral Grant by the Chair Reinier de Graaf – Jongeren & Alcohol in the area of Alcohol prevention in young people in Belgium
Increasing numbers of adolescents end up at the emergency department (ED) due to alcohol intoxication. Binge drinking (i.e. consumption of a given amount of alcohol units on a single occasion) is not without consequences as it can lead to acute and more lasting problems (both physical and emotional). It can also indicate negative coping style as stress, anxiety, traumatic events and depressive episodes are related to binge drinking. Research indicate also a strong link with parenting variables such as parenting style and parent-child interactions. Adolescents who end up at the emergency department after alcohol intoxication don't automatically change their drinking behavior. However, implementation of brief interventions into routine ED care is lacking. This research project aims to identify the altitude of the problem of underage binge drinking in Flanders, to investigate potential effects of an online brief intervention for adolescents and their parents and to investigate the treatment effects over time. The ultimate goal of the project is to prevent relapse of underage binge drinking and to prevent future mental health problems by improving clinical practice.
The Department of Social Epidemiology and Health Policy (UAntwerpen), the Department of Pediatric Intensive Care (UZA) and the Department of Pediatrics (UAntwerpen/UZA) lead this doctoral research project.
- You prepare, coordinate and implement the doctoral research project.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of medical sciences.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the faculty of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Medicine and are specializing in child and adolescent psychiatry; paediatrics or youth health care, or a related relevant discipline.
- You are familiar with qualitative and quantitative research methods, or you are willing to invest in developing these competences.
- Knowledge of the Belgium health system is a strong asset.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- You speak and write fluently in Dutch and English.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy .
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of three years;
- The planned start date is January 1st 2020;
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including November 16, 2020 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a cover letter and your CV;
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Van Hal (email@example.com )
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Joint Ph D In Random Matrix Theory: “Critical Phenomena In Complex And Real Spectra”@Ku Leuven/University Of Melbourne, Aust MS, Australia, about 2 hours ago
KU Leuven / University of Melbourne The Universities of Melbourne and KU Leuven have created a new, international joint PhD. Graduate researchers spend a minimum of 12 months at each university an...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Prospecting And Mining Resources In Pavements, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 24 hours ago
Department: Faculty of Applied Engineering Regime Full-time The Faculty of Applied Engineering is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Energy and Materials in Infrastruc...
Ph D Candidate In Digital Media Effects, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 5 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2020-887) Laatst aangepast : 30/11/2020 KU Leuven is a leading academic institution in Europe. Owing to KU Leuven’s cutting-edge research, KU Leuven is a charter member of LERU, has been...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Air Purification Technologies And Strategies , University of Antwerp, Belgium, 17 days ago
Department : Department of Bioengineering Regime : Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 stu...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Noncommutative Algebraic Geometry And Algebraic Topology , University of Antwerp, Belgium, 10 days ago
Department : Department of Mathematics Regime : Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 ...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Noncommutative Algebraic Geometry And Algebraic Topology, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Mathematics Regime Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000...