In the framework of a recently started VIB-Grand Challenges project Soja in Vlaanderen the Group of Anne Willems at the Lab. of Microbiology has a position for a PhD student. The main objective of the project is to select bacterial symbionts for optimal cultivation of soybean in Flanders. This requires strains that are adapted to our local soil and climatic conditions. These will be obtained by a large scale screening of garden soils in Flanders. A large part of your work will be the isolation and characterization of root nodule bacteria from soybean plants grown by over 1000 gardeners. This will involve MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and sequencing of 16S rRNA and gyrB genes and total genome analysis of bacteria. You will also be involved in inoculation experiments to assess the performance of various bacteria-soybean combination under greenhouse and field conditions in collaboration with partners at VIB and ILVO.
- You have obtained your Master degree in Biochemistry and Biotechnology or Biology before the start date of the position (1 Sept. 2021).
- You do not yet hold a PhD degree and are motivated to perform high quality research towards obtaining a PhD degree.
- You have a strong interest in working in the microbiology wet lab as well as in bioinformatics and genome analysis.
- Experience in bacteriology and molecular biology laboratory techniques is an asset.
- You combine being a team player with a strong sense of autonomy, responsibility and initiative.
- You are very organized and able to plan your work efficiently and with an eye for quality and precision.
- You have good oral and written communication skills and have a very good knowledge of written and spoken English.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please mail to firstname.lastname@example.org the following by 7 July 2021 at the latest:
1. Cover Letter. The cover letter should include the position reference, your contact address and telephone number and point out the main reasons why you should be considered for this position.
2. Curriculum Vitae. Your CV should provide an overview of your education, employment and previous professional experience, including a list of papers published if available. It can also provide details on your research interest and any additional skills that may be useful for the position.
Please include the names and contact details (address, telephone, e-mail) of two referees that are able to comment on your work experience, skills and performance with respect to the selection criteria.
3. Copies of your diplomas and details of obtained grades.
Ph D Student In Earth & Environmental Science: "The Climate Potential Of Gardens", Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 7 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-649) Laatst aangepast : 26/08/2021 A 4-year PhD position (advisor: Prof. Ben Somers) focused on “Unlocking the climate change mitigation and adaptation potential of domestic gardens...
12 16 Ph D Positions For Medical Doctors In The International Ph D Programme Emerald, VIB, Belgium, about 5 hours ago
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS The “International PhD Programme for Medical Doctors”, Emerald Application deadline November 14th, 5 pm Central European Time ARE YOU: A medical doctor with up to four years ...
Position For A Researcher In Aquatic/Marine Genomics & Bioinformatics At The Ku, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 20 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2021-691) Laatst aangepast : 14/09/2021 The newly funded project ENZYMARES aims at leveraging the unique functional characteristics of biological resources from (marine) habitats to disc...
Ph D Student In Earth & Environmental Science: "The Climate Potential Of Gardens", KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Doctoral Fellow Department Of Biomolecular Medicine, Ghent University, Belgium, 13 minutes ago
Last application date Oct 15, 2021 00:00 Department GE31 - Department of Biomolecular Medicine Contract Limited duration Degree PhD Occupancy rate 100% Vacancy type Research staff Job description ...
Ph D / Postdoc Position At The Bio Energy And Bio Aromatics Group Of Prof. Wout Boerjan, VIB, Belgium, about 5 hours ago
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology is a world-leading plant science institute situated in the Tech Lane Campus in Ghent, Belgium, with access to the newest technology and equipment thr...