Last application date Jan 15, 2021 00:00
Department WE12 - Department of Geography
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master Degree (MA or MSc) in a relevant field of study (e.g., psychology, social sciences, geography with expertise in social sciences)
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
The Landscape Research Unit of the Department of Geography (Ghent University - Prof. Van Eetvelde) invites applications for a fully-funded PhD position (4 years). The PhD researcher will work in an interdisciplinary and international research project, funded by the FWO and led by Ghent University in collaboration with the University of Lisbon (Prof. Isabel Loupa-Ramos) and the University of Évora (Prof. Fátima Bernardo). The project aim is to analyse the impact of migration on landscape identity in an urban and rural context. The interactions with their surroundings play an important role in the construction of people’s identities. Feeling at home in our surroundings plays an important role in our quality of life. People sometimes struggle severely with being displaced when for example peoples’ landscape is being turned into a nature area or when people have to flee their home due to war. Even when people voluntarily migrate, it often proves a struggle to settle in their new surroundings. The places in which people have lived previously, shape how they are connected to the landscape they live in. Migrants often value features in the landscape which remind them of their home. Also, people's cultural background and values shared with the local community have an impact on how they perceive and value their surroundings. Major differences between how migrants and natives view their landscape can contribute to segregation. This research will, therefore, address these issues, investigating differences in how migrants and natives identify with the local landscape and trying to uncover underlying factors that influence the effects of migration on people's landscape identity.
We are looking for an excellent PhD candidate and offer an intellectually challenging environment, high-quality training to develop hard and soft skills, opportunities to participate in field work, research stays in Portugal and international scientific conferences. Ghent University is among the top global universities according to several international rankings. The PhD fellow will be able to design and develop his/her own research ideas within the general aim of the project and will collaborate with the other PhD fellow appointed in this project. The main job duties will be to perform scientific research, including writing of scientific publications, participating in international conferences as well as assisting in some practical courses and supervising BSc and MSc students in Geography. You will work together with the other colleagues in the Landscape Research Unit on mutual topics and duties.
What we can offer you?
- You will be hired by Ghent University and your principal physical working place will be the Geography Department in Ghent.
- We offer an initial contract of 1 year, which will be extended up to a maximum of 4 years after positive evaluation. For more about PhD studies at Ghent University, please see https://www.ugent.be/phd/en and https://www.ugent.be/en/work/phd/bursaryabc.htm .
- Your appointment will have to start 1 March 2021.
- You will receive a PhD scholarship according to the general conditions at Ghent University. The tax free scholarship includes full social security coverage.
- You will work in a dynamic, international research group. All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as 37 days of paid leave, a wide range of training and education opportunities, bicycle commuting reimbursement, etc.
- A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on the UGent website.
- You hold a Master Degree in Social Sciences, or Master Degree in Psychology or Master Degree in Geography (with an explicit expertise in social sciences).
- You obtained excellent grades in your BSc and MSc Degree.
- You have a strong interest in the relation between people and their environment and are interested in and motivated by the research topic.
- You have experience or affinity for skills in interviews and surveys (abilities in conducting online surveys, in participatory, interactive communication with people), expertise in data collection by surveys, interviews and face-to-face interviews.
- You have social and good communication skills and have an excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of the Portuguese language (speaking) is a positive aspect however not required.
- You are self-critical, you work with rigor and attention for detail, and you work accurately and critically in the data collection and statistical and qualitative analysis.
- You combine being a team player with a strong sense of autonomy and responsibility, have an open mind and an interdisciplinary attitude.
- You are willing to work and live in Belgium for 4 years, with intermediate research stays in Portugal.
- You are willing to participate in short research stays abroad and apply for additional funding when eligible.
How to apply
All applications must be received no later than 15 January 2021 and sent via email to email@example.com with the following documents attached as a single file:
- Short personal motivation letter mainly elaborating on your interest and experience in the specific domains mentioned above (max. 2 pages)
- A curriculum vitae including your scientist resume and diplomas
- Academic degree and transcripts (both bachelor and master)
- Names and contact details of at least two reference persons
Attention: Late applications are not accepted. As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
After the first screening, suitable candidates will be invited for an interview (also possible via Skype or MS Teams).
For more information about this vacancy please contact Prof. Veerle Van Eetvelde (firstname.lastname@example.org , +32 9 264 47 07) or Dr. Nathalie Van Nuffel (Nathalie.email@example.com , + 32 9 264 46 91).
Ph D Student For Linking Dietary Exposome & Microbiome Inflammation Axis With Metabolic Disorders, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 21 hours ago
Department: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Regime Full-time The Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences of the University of Antwerp and the Department of Veterinary P...
Ph D 'Migration, Seasonal Labour And (R)Urban Arrival Infrastructures In The Netherlands And Belgium' (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
PhD 'Migration, seasonal labour and (r)urban arrival infrastructures in the Netherlands and Belgium' (1.0 FTE) Job description You will develop your own PhD project within the framework of the H20...
Ph D Position In Ecological Modelling, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
The Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED) has a PhD position in ecological modelling. FRAMEwork aims at establishing biodiversity-friendly farming practices based on the collec...
Ph D Position In Landscape Architecture, Especially Landscape Planning: Landscapes For Transit Oriented Development, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Department or Urban and Rural Development The Department of Urban and Rural Development is located at the main campus of SLU in Uppsala. It has a unique profile with its four main divisions, Lands...
Ph D Scholarship In Spatial Sciences (7.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Scholarship opportunities The PhD positions are PhD Scholarship positions. PhD Scholarships provide candidates with a unique opportunity to propose their own interdisciplinary research project. Th...
Ph D Student: Land System Scenarios Of Transformations To Plant Based Diets, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to sustainable land use? Do you want to study the impacts on European land use upon dietary change with simulation models and scenarios? Please apply at Vrije Universitei...