We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites applications for a:
PhD Thesis “Online Path Generation of Robotic Inspection Tasks via Reinforcement Learning”
- Our AIT-PhD Programme , conducted in cooperation with national or international universities, offers you the opportunity to write your PhD thesis in collaboration with our highly specialized researchers and our national and international partners from the industrial and robotic industry or other research organizations. At AIT you have the chance to become an expert in your field and make a positive impact on several industrial applications around the world. We are proud to make a difference together!
- During this PhD project, you will be supervised by Univ.-Prof. Dr.techn. Andreas Kugi, Head of the Automation and Control Institute (ACIN) and full professor for complex dynamical systems at Technische Universität Wien, Austria and by scientists and engineers of the Center and you will interact with experts in the industrial and machinery domain.
- You will be part of a multidisciplinary team with a research focus on high-performance embedded vision systems, computational imaging, machine learning and robotics.
- A main challenge in quality surface inspection is the variety of objects and surface appearance, textures, and shapes. In this context, automatic anomaly detection is difficult because detailed domain-specific knowledge about typical failure cases is necessary.
- In this PhD project, you will investigate how computational imaging and path planning can be combined to improve robot-based inspection tasks.
- You will focus your research on exploring innovative path planning algorithms.
- You will design machine learning models (e.g. reinforcement learning) that include intermediate layers of abstraction with semantic descriptions of the components.
- You will combine methods from robotics and vision to develop novel inspection applications.
- You will develop an AI system that can learn from an experienced human quality manager where and how to check critical parts and anomalies.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
- You will publish your research results at conferences and in international journals.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Master studies in the field of electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics, computer science or similar
- Excellent programming skills (C++, Python, Matlab or other languages)
- Experience with machine learning applications (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow), motion planning (e.g. A*, RRT) and image-processing (e.g. stereo matching, light field, OpenCV) would be an advantage.
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of English in word and writing is mandatory
What to expect:
EUR 41.601 gross per year. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates online: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/152867
Ph D On Soft Robotics, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
Department(s) Mechanical Engineering Reference number V35.5129 Job description Soft robotic systems and/or actuators is a rapidly developing field of engineering. It is booming now due to recent a...
Ph D Scholarships In Planning For Multi Robot Cooperation, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 24 hours ago
Do you also envision a future where robots are part of our society and work force, performing tasks with humans and cooperatively with other robots? The Technical University of Denmark is looking ...
Ph D Position Multi Robot Coordination Under Uncertainty, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 9 days ago
Autonomous robots (such as cars and UAVs) will be widespread in our daily lives. These robots will operate near humans in complex dynamic environments. To safely coordinate, these robots will bene...
Ph D Position Multi Modal Self Supervised Deep Learning For Self Driving Vehicles, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
In this project, you will develop novel multi-modal deep learning techniques to detect the dynamic and static obstacles in the urban environment in self-driving applications. Existing approaches o...
Ph D Position On Verifiable Estimation And Control For Autonomous Systems, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
The aim of this project is to develop missing theory and tools towards the goal of having verifiable autonomous control systems that can learn from data. Department(s) Electrical Engineering Refer...
Doctoral Student In Computer Science, Örebro University, Sweden, about 8 hours ago
Ref no: ORU 2.1.1- 04232/2021 Örebro University and the School of Science and Technology are looking for a doctoral student for the doctoral programme in computer science, concluding with a doctor...