Within Edith Cowan University School of Education, you will be actively participating in a research community that focuses on Wellbeing and Education. In this field, you will collaborate with a team that is at the forefront of research related to wellbeing, self-care and resilience within a range of educational contexts. Our overarching goal is to emphasize proactive measures based on a wide range of evidence-based wellbeing science, aimed at promoting wellbeing at local, regional, national and global levels. From this perspective, we consider wellbeing education within and across various sectors, including initial teacher education, schools, higher education, vocational education, and its impact on teachers, students, leaders, as well as society and the broader community. Two positions (2 PhD stipends) are available to work with VC Professoriate Research Fellow Professor Narelle Lemon within the School of Education and the Wellbeing and Education research community.
Opens: 26-10-2023Closes: 8-12-2023
Teachers of tomorrow choose ECU’s School of Education because we are leaders in teacher education and education research. With over 5000 students and a proud history of teacher education since 1902, the School has consistently been recognised as one of the highest-ranking schools of education in Australia for student satisfaction. Our dedicated staff is committed to equipping aspiring and practicing teachers with the skills, knowledge and experiences to positively impact the lives of students and communities.
Our teaching and research addresses the most critical challenges in the field, including teaching and learning; educational leadership; sport, health, and wellness; language, literacy, and numeracy; higher education pedagogy and curricular development; interdisciplinary and innovative research approaches; and educational equity in local, national, and international contexts.
An opportunity has arisen for suitably experienced and motivated emerging researchers to join the School of Education.
The School of Education at Edith Cowan University has a research vision to transform lives through robust, engaged, and responsive research that positively impacts local and global education futures. We believe that knowledge, when harnessed creatively and ethically, has the power to bring about profound change. Our research is committed to addressing the most critical challenges in education and fostering innovation that directly improves the wellbeing of individuals and communities on both a local and global scale.
PhD students will focus on a project that is informed by wellbeing science and located in the context of wellbeing education with alignment to qualitative methods or mixed methods. PhD students will be supervised by the ECU Vice Chancellor’s Professorial Research Fellow Professor Narelle Lemon, and participate in the Higher Degree Research community while building capacity as a researcher. Contribution to Field of Research (FOR) 39 as well as other interdisciplinary areas as relevant is expected. Potential research topics could include:
- Flourishing with our wellbeing
- Growth and fixed mindset in wellbeing and self-care
- Indigenous community and educator relationships/partnerships
- Rural and regional teaching and wellbeing literacy
- Interactions of arts, wellbeing and education in indigenous communities
- Making, craft, and/or arts for/as wellbeing and self-care
- Wellbeing literacy in educational contexts
- Self-care and proactive ways of being
- Wellbeing education
- Initial teacher education wellbeing and self-care
- Teacher wellbeing and self-care
- Interdisciplinary approaches to wellbeing
- Systems thinking and approaches to wellbeing and self-care
- Positive education
- Positive psychology and education wellbeing and self-care
- Coaching education
- Resilience education
- Teacher resilience
- Wellbeing literacy in educational contexts
- School wellbeing
- Trauma-informed pedagogy
- Mental health
- Pedagogy of Belonging or Pedagogy of Care or Pedagogy of Kindness for systems approaches to wellbeing
- Strengths based education and wellbeing and self-care
- Educational leadership wellbeing
- Higher education wellbeing and self-care
- Community education wellbeing and self-care
Proposals are invited for a research project that aligns with the research community and work in the area of Wellbeing and Education and methodology that involves a one of or a combination of creative methods, qualitative methods, and/or mixed methods.
Research proposal/thesis topic in wellbeing and education
- Wellbeing and education research proposal that is clear, achievable, and has wide reaching impact
- Engagement with qualitative methodology with preference towards including or focusing on creative research methods
- Contextualization and drawing on relevant literature in the field
- Clarity in writing and flow of argument
- Citations in APA7
Evidence of research preparedness and capability relative to opportunity
- Previous experience within a research, and in a broad range of techniques, including approaches to qualitative data analysis
- Describe your previous research experience and explain how this makes you suitably qualified for the proposed project (context of experiences, length of time, seniority, how it relates to the proposed research project).
- Research Publications (include impact factor full citation, DOI link to each publication, weight of authorship)
- Evidence of creative works (if applicable) (include weight of authorship)
- Research Presentations/Conferences (include weight of authorship)
- Research Internship/volunteering experience (if applicable)
- Research partnerships as relevant to experience and proposal
- Evidence of creative works if applicable
- Evidence of research output must be provided in English
- Publications must be accepted for publication prior to the HDR Scholarship Application submission
- If the applicant does not provide enough information the publication will not be assessed
Alignment with strategic priority
- School of Education priority in wellbeing and education alignment and how does this proposed research program build on existing research, support external/interval grants, and contribute to partnerships
- Edith Cowan University Strategic Research focus and how does this proposed research program build on existing research
- A highly developed understanding of wellbeing science
Assess the quality of the candidate's academic performance.
- Details of undergraduate and relevant postgraduate degrees. If applicable, specify the class of
Honours and research topic.
- Details of Post Graduate Degrees specifically evidence of research components
- Specify the cumulative/final grade point average for all degrees listed
- List any academic awards and/or prizes, particularly those related to research courses/and or activities.
Collaboration, communication and digital literacy skills
- Capabilities in working both independently and as part of a team of researchers, to identify opportunities, and to contribute and lead to the development of papers for publication
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills and the ability to conduct high quality research with increasing independence and to present that work in an engaging way
- Highly developed communication skills across a variety of formats
- A high level of digital literacy with a good knowledge of relevant computer programs, and ability to work across and connect these as needed.
Terms and conditions
- On campus is preferred option of study.
- Completion of an education degree and/or school psychology/positive psychology degree, Master by Research, or a Master by Coursework plus research publications.
- To be eligible for an stipend an applicant must not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth designed to offset HDR fees
- Completed at least four years of tertiary education studies
- Meet all other minimum entry requirements according Edith Cowan PhD applications process
How to apply
Please send the documents below to Narelle Lemon
- Statement of research preparedness and capability relative to opportunity
- Qualifications and academic transcripts
- Research proposal/thesis topic
- Curriculum Vitae
- Any publications
- If you are an international student send IELT score
Only complete applications addressing all criteria will be considered. Due to the high volume of interest, no one on one meetings are possible, and future applicants are encouraged to refer to all the detail provided in the advert.
Applications are open to Australian and New Zealand citizens, and Australian permanent residents. ECU will not support sponsoring visas.
For more information
Questions about this scholarship can be directed to Narelle Lemon
2024 Bob Hawke Aboriginal Teacher Scholarship, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Status: Open Applications open: 18/01/2024 Applications close: 14/03/2024 View printable version [.pdf] About this scholarship Description/Applicant information Disclaimer - This scholarship is ma...
Advanced Indonesian Language Travel Bursary, Murdoch University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Advanced Indonesian Language Travel Bursary Are you looking to extend professionally as a Teacher? The Advanced Indonesian Language Travel Bursary can assist you to gain fluency and experience abr...
2024 Charlie Perkins Scholarships To Study At Oxford Or Cambridge, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Status: Closed Applications open: 1/10/2023 Applications close: 31/01/2024 View printable version [.pdf] About this scholarship Description/Applicant information Disclaimer - This Charlie Perkins ...
2024 Scholarship. Exploring Faunal Ancient Dna In South Western Australia, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Status: Open Applications open: 13/02/2024 Applications close: 31/03/2024 View printable version [.pdf] About this scholarship Description/Applicant information South-western Australia (SWA) is on...
Hdr 2024 Scholarship In Geotechnology And Microbiology, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Status: Open Applications open: 8/02/2024 Applications close: 7/03/2024 View printable version [.pdf] About this scholarship Description/Applicant information The students will work in a project t...
2024 Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Status: Closed Applications open: 5/07/2023 Applications close: 6/09/2023 View printable version [.pdf] About this scholarship Description/Applicant information The Westpac Future Leaders Scholars...