- Tailored training program focused on collaboration, innovation and research translation
- Full time, fixed term position with a stipend of $30,000 p.a for 3.5 years
- Located onsite at Swinburne University, Hawthorn
About AIR Hub
The Aerostructures Innovation Research Hub (AIR Hub) will be a world-class, collaboration between Swinburne University of Technology, CSIRO, industry and research partners. AIRHub has been designed with industry and research leaders at the forefront of Australia’s Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing industries to reinforce the Australia’s pre-eminent position in advanced composites manufacturing for civil aerospace projects and accelerate development of composites manufacturing for integrated structures and airframes in eVTOL urban passenger, cargo and aeromedical air vehicles.
About the Position
The research program consists of several industry projects that include Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) scholarships for inspired students. Students will have individual projects, working within a collaborative team to deliver impactful outcomes for next generation aerospace technology. Projects are industry focused and students will share knowledge, gain experience and utilise cross-functional design methods. A key theme of the projects is the realisation of the benefits of digitalisation in aerospace engineering and advanced composite manufacturing. Students will have the chance to be at the forefront in the next generation of digital engineering and augmented design using the latest tools.
Students will partake in Australia’s leading higher degree research training programs at Swinburne University of Technology supported by CSIRO and ARENA2036 in Germany. This research is focused on collaboration, innovation and research translation and includes an industry placement working on site with the students’ project industry partner.
Successful applicants will work on projects related to the following themes:
• Digital engineering and manufacturing, including model-based engineering
• Digital-physical systems validation - digital twins to qualification
• Innovative design and manufacturing of aerostructures for advanced air mobility (AAM)
• Aerodynamics; computational fluid dynamics for novel airframe design
• Automated composite materials manufacturing;
• Functional composite materials; including resin and polymer chemistries, fibres and nanomaterial technology
• Aerostructure lifecycle challenges and solutions including maintenance, repair, overhaul, In-flight tracking and diagnostics, telemetry and communications
• Machine learning for smart manufacturing, predictive design for manufacture and IoT processes
• Augmented design and manufacturing using machine learning
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne is a multi-sector university of science, technology and innovation with more than 54,000 students and 5,000 staff globally. We offer postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online education to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. Our mission is to be a world-class university, creating economic and social impact through science, technology and innovation. We aim to deliver future-ready learners, research with impact and innovative enterprise.
• A 4 year Bachelor/Honours degree or a coursework Masters degree with a minimum average of 70% in the final year of study (H1 or H2A) or a Research Masters in any field related to one or more of the themes or a Bachelor’s degree with relevant work experience.
• The ideal candidates are expected to be enthusiastic, self-motivated with a demonstrable aptitude for research and development
• Research and/ or work experience relevant to one of the themes
• Good team-working, observational and communication skills
• A valid working with children’s check card (or ability to obtain prior to or upon commencement).
• Undertake a detailed review of the literature in the field and develop an understanding of the existing literature and opportunities for new research activities
• Develop a research plan in collaboration with the supervisory team
• Experimental work and/or data collection
• Work independently to undertake research activities
• Prepare written and oral research reports throughout the program to explain your research activities and outcomes
• Prepare and submit publications from your research activities to peer reviewed journals and conferences
• Prepare and submit milestone reports and thesis to meet the requirements of the University’s HDR Training Policy
• Work within a wider multidisciplinary research team that will include end users and carers, industry and clinical partners and researchers and collaborators from across the University.
• Be prepared to participate in group development and research activities and contribute to other projects within the team where it is deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
A full list of selection criteria is available within the position description.
To find out more about the extensive range of benefits offered to Swinburne employees please visit Careers at Swinburne.
How to apply and further information
To view the position description or to start an application please click on 'apply' or ‘begin’ and submit a resume, cover letter and a response to the Key Selection Criteria, as listed in the position description.
For further information about this position, contact Mark Redmond (Senior Recruitment Consultant) via email at: email@example.com
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity and Inclusion
Equity and diversity are integral to achieving our 2025 vision of bringing people and technology together to build a better world. Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity and inclusion through key initiatives such as:
• Reconciliation Action Plan
• Charter of Cultural Diversity
• Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Action Plan
• Swinburne LGBTIQA+ Pride, Gender Equality, Accessibility and Intergenerational inclusion strategies
For further information on all our initiatives visit our equity and diversity website. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Assistance and Support
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact Maree Norden, Diversity & Inclusion Manager at email@example.com. For support or queries related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, please contact Timothy Werner at DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 14th January 2022
This position is open to candidates that are currently located within Australia and are an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold an appropriate student visa.
Directions from Victoria’s Chief Health Officer require all Swinburne workers to have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by 22 October 2021 and to be fully vaccinated by 26 November 2021, unless they are an Excepted Person as defined by the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions. All applicants must therefore be able to comply with this requirement.
Click here for Position Description Opens in new window
Ph D Scholarship, Superhydrophobic Coating Materials (Aerospace), SWINBURNE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, Australia, 6 days ago
Aerospace - Superhydrophobic Coating Materials Full time, fixed term position at our Hawthorn campus $30,000 p.a for 3.5 years About the Scholarship The Scholarship is offered by the Aerostructure...
Csiro Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Scholarships, CSIRO, Australia, about 12 hours ago
We want you to be part of CSIRO’s impact! Are you an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate STEM Student? Be part of the next generation of world-class scientists and engineers Join...
Csiro Engineering Fellowship In Automation Of Porous Materials Science For Energy Applications, CSIRO, Australia, about 12 hours ago
Acknowledgement of Country CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection ...
Ph D Scholarship In Developing Miniaturised Peripheral Nerve Interface Technology , RMIT University, Australia, about 6 hours ago
Stimulating the vagus nerve is used clinically for treatment of numerous human diseases (epilepsy, heart failure, obesity etc). As such, the effects of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) are diverse an...
Ph D Scholarship In Indoor Air Quality In Schools , RMIT University, Australia, about 6 hours ago
Children are vulnerable to poor air quality as pollutant exposure during developmental stages may produce lifelong issues, some of which may become apparent only later in life. The Covid -19 pande...
Airport Pavement Scholarships 2022, University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia, about 10 hours ago
Accepting expressions of interest until midnight 27 May 2022. Scholarship Code USCRS2211-WHITE Open to Domestic and International Students HDR Program Doctor of Philosophy Study area Engineering, ...