The Centre for Forensic Science (CFS) at UTS, a formal University Research Strength, has an excellent national and international reputation CFS has a strong ethos of fostering collaboration: it was established as a multidisciplinary centre and has developed sustained relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies. It hosts a vibrant and world-leading research group in fingerprint detection, and has very good connections with fingerprint researcher teams all around the world.
Project Description: Recent research identified significant challenges in quality assurance with respect to fingerprints. This project focusses on the implementation of a modified inkjet printer to produce artificial latent fingermarks. Obtaining fingermarks with a controlled composition would not only improve research efficiency and allow for fundamental researches, but would also impact practitioners. Specifically designed test strips could indeed be used to verify and document the efficiency fingermark detection techniques. Artificial fingermarks could also be used for education, training and proficiency testing. The project outcomes will significantly contribute to address current challenges in the fingerprint discipline through improved training, research and quality assurance.
Value and duration
The successful candidate will be awarded $26,682 per annum (2017) over three (3) years.
Please note, all scholarships at UTS are dependent upon satisfactory progress.
Who is eligible?
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division 1), or be regarded by the University as having an equivalent level of attainment; and
- Be undertaking a higher degree by research at UTS in the year of the scholarship; and
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Their degree in chemistry or forensic science, or in a field relevant to the project, and/or have research experience (including research publications) in a field such as analytical chemistry or forensic science.
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Experience with and a thorough understanding of latent fingermark detection. Experience working with industry and/or government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to translate research results into published research outcomes.
- Excellent time management skills to reach research deadlines.
- Overseas applications are welcomed (with current IELTS assessments), but the successful applicant must commence their studies no later than 31 August 2017 (visa approved).
Applications for this Scholarship are currently closed.
Instructions on how to apply will be available here during the application period.
Opening date: 15 February 2017
Closing date: 24 March 2017
For further information contact
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Ph D Scholarship In The Lifetrack Project, Department Of Sociology, University Of Copenhagen (Ucph), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
Applications are invited for a PhD scholarship at the Department of Sociology, University of Copenhagen, with a focus on inequalities in education and the life course. Employment is expected to st...
Ph D Scholarships, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 13 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Compute by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Compute invites talented candidates who have obtained remarkable results dur...
Ph D Scholarship In Microbiome Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 2 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioinformatics by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD position is available at the Department of Bio and Health Informatic...
Ph D Scholarships At Center For Economic Behaviour And Inequality (Cebi) And The Department Of Economics, University Of Copenhagen (Ucph), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
CEBI and the Department of Economics invites for applications for 1-2 PhD scholarships. The chosen candidates will enrol at the Faculty of Social Sciences under the Copenhagen Graduate School of S...
Ph D Position On Eu Funded Programmatic Advertising Decision System Project, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Departments Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences Reference number V39.3045 Job description The School of Industrial Engineering of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) h...
Ph D Scholarship: Sustainable Energy Transitions In Developing Countries, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 7 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Management Engineering by completing the following form. Apply online The Centre on Energy, Climate and Sustainable Development, part of...