- Centre for Transformative Innovation
- Full time, fixed term
About the Opportunity
The purpose of the position is to advance the research performance of the Centre for Transformative Innovation in priority areas, while providing research training to high quality candidates who will make a forward contribution to engaged research in the economics of innovation.
We are seeking candidates who will take on priority projects detailed below. Candidates are also welcomed to submit a project proposal for consideration in the Centre for Transformative Innovation’s key research areas.
The PhD candidates are expected to develop their own independent research agenda focused on issues related to in all areas of innovation studies and innovation economics under the supervision of Professors Elizabeth Webster and Dean Lusher, Associate Professors Alfons Palangkaraya, Peng Wang, Russell Thomson and Amir Aryani, and/or Dr Trevor Kollmann.
The position is available for PhD research in all areas of innovation studies and innovation economics, but preference will be given for outstanding PhD research proposals which are aligned with Swinburne’s Research Strategy and ecosystem, which focuses on the following key areas:
- Space and Aerospace
- Innovative Planet
- Med Tech and Health Innovation
- Innovative Society
- Manufacturing Futures
- Digital Capability
Therefore, preference will be given for outstanding PhD proposals which:
- Apply advanced econometrics and data science and analytics techniques such as machine learning and natural language processing.
- Use large scale microdata.
- Focus on any of the following areas:
- The link between science, innovation, and economic performance
- Intellectual property rights protection and innovation
- Mobility of scientists, researchers, and inventors
- The role of public policy and research institutions
- International trade and investment and global value chains
Potential Scholarship Options
If successful in applying for a PhD place at Swinburne and receiving an offer, students may be eligible to apply for a scholarship when a scholarship round is open.
Who Can Apply?
The scholarships are open to local and international students who fall into one of the following categories:
- new PhD or Professional Doctorate candidates;
- students currently enrolled in a Swinburne PhD program, who have been enrolled for less than two years as at the closing date of the round; and
- students who have received an offer for candidature in a Swinburne PhD program, but and have not yet enrolled or applied for a scholarship.
Applicants must meet candidature requirements as set out in their proposed program.
Further information can be found here
Please review the Scholarships entitlements easy guide 2023 for additional information
PhD Position Key Responsibility and Eligibility
The successful candidates would be expected to have a completed Master’s degree in economics with a thesis component and 80% or higher overall mark or first-class honours undergraduate degree in economics/statistics/data science with courses taken in microeconomics and applied econometrics at an advanced Master’s level.
Candidates should be highly motivated to conduct independent research and are should be fluent in English (equivalent to IELTS test scores of 7.0 or higher in each component). Applications are open to domestic and international students.
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- Master’s degree in economics or an honours undergraduate degree with knowledge in microeconomics and applied econometrics at an advanced Master’s level
- Comply with Swinburne’s English Language requirements. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent (e.g. Pearson Test of English (PTE) examination certificate with a minimum overall score of 7.0
- TOEFL/IELTS scores if from non-English speaking countries or if previous degree qualifications are not from institutions in English speaking countries
- Willingness to undertake research
- Data analysis skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a collaborative manner
- Enthusiasm for learning new research and data analysis skills and systems
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
- Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
- Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
- Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
- Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
How to apply and further information
To apply please submit the following:
- One-page cover letter summarising your academic background, research interests, and motivation for applying.
- Detailed curriculum vita, including the names and addresses of two references.
- 2-page research proposal.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on email@example.com
Applications Close: Monday 16 October 2023, 11pm
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Equity and Diversity
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our Equity & Diversity website.
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For any support please contact DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au or for more information on our Indigenous strategies please follow the link to our RAP Reconciliation Action Plan
(Agency enquiries will not be accepted for this position) (#LI-SW)
Click here for Position Description Opens in new window
Ph D Scholarship A Novel Approach Integrating Genomics Into The Health Economic Modelling Of Therapeutics, Monash University, Australia, 2 days ago
PhD Scholarship - A novel approach integrating genomics into the health economic modelling of therapeutics Job No.: 658241 Location: Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Parkville campus E...
Scholarships In Csiro Next Generation Graduate Program Quantum Information Technology: Industry Readiness And Applications, Monash University, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Scholarships in CSIRO Next Generation Graduate Program - Quantum Information Technology: Industry Readiness and Applications Job No.: 658918 Location: Clayton campus Employment Type: Full-time Dur...
Ph D Research Scholarship The Bouverie Centre, La Trobe University, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Scholarship code: SRS-23006 Building the capability of mental health services to provide family-based practices: Impact and Implementation This scholarship has been made available with funding fro...
Doctor Of Philosophy (Ph D) Scholarship Opportunities Safe Sustainable Accessible Railway (S2 A Rail) Graduate Research Industry Partnerships (Grip) Program, Monash University, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Scholarship Opportunities - Safe Sustainable Accessible Railway (S2ARail) Graduate Research Industry Partnerships (GRIP) program Job No.: 659116 Location: Clayton campus...
Ph D Scholarship Project: Planning For Effective Parent School Partnerships For Students With A Disability , RMIT University, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Fully Funded PhD Opportunity in Educational Research – Inclusive education. This is a unique opportunity to undertake a fully funded PhD (fees + living stipend) in educational research. The succes...