Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship
The Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship assists regional and remote Indigenous students from low income backgrounds with expenses associated with relocating for the purpose of undertaking internal studies at CQUniversity. Scholarships are available for students living at CQUniversity Student Residential Colleges in Mackay or Rockhampton or in private accommodation near any CQUniversity regional campus.
Scholarship Value: $4,000-$5,000
Length of Scholarship: Term 2, 2021
Number Available: 4
Opening Date: 04 May 2021
Closing Date: 11 June 2021
|Study Level||STEPS; Undergraduate|
|Year of Study||Any|
|Ethnicity||Aboriginal; Torres Strait Islander|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
An Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship will be awarded on the basis that the applicant meets the Indigenous Student Assistance Grants (Special Grants) Notifiable Instrument 2018 .
To be eligible for an Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship applicants must:
- Be enrolled or intending to enrol at CQUniversity in Term 2, 2021
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person and provide Confirmation of Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Identity document
- Be enrolled in any of the following courses:
- Higher Education Diploma
- Associate degree
- Bachelor (with or without Honours)
- Postgraduate course in an area of National Priority (currently Nursing and Education) or as required for initial registration to practice in the chosen field
- a Commonwealth supported student at CQUniversity
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
- Preference is given to students from a remote or regional areas
Students will be ineligible if they:
- have already completed the requirements of a course of study (with any provider) regarded to be equivalent to or higher than a bachelor's award, unless such award is a prerequisite to your current undergraduate course of study
- are in receipt of a Centrelink Start-Up Loan
More detailed eligibility information can be found via the above guidelines.
Applicants will be assessed on the application form and a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Career goals and how the Scholarship will help
- Extracurricular activities – (can be sports, school, community, workplace initiatives or volunteering)
- Life experiences
Applicants who have received a Commonwealth Scholarship or Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship at another institution must declare this at the time of application.
Applicants who are receiving Centrelink Relocation Scholarship or Residential Costs Option must declare this at the time of application. Failure to declare this may result in your scholarship being withdrawn and any paid monies being reclaimed.
Eligible applicants may receive both a Commonwealth Indigenous Education Costs Scholarship and Commonwealth Indigenous Accommodation Scholarship at the same time where they meet the criteria for both.
For students living at a CQUniversity Student Residential College:
Payment of accommodation (plus food in Rockhampton) will be made directly to the CQUniversity Student Residential College on behalf of the successful applicant. This scholarship cannot be amended, transferred or redeemed for cash. This scholarship does not include linen or any other fees or charges issued by the Capricornia or Canefield Colleges.
The scholarship will include:
- Application Fee = $100 new students or $50 returning students per term
- Facilities Levy = $295 per term
- 15 weeks accommodation per term (Term 1 only – does not include vacation weeks)
- Mackay Canefield College = $266 pw x 15 weeks = $3,990
- Rockhampton Capricornia College = $350 pw x 15 weeks = $5,250
- Meals at Rockhampton Capricornia College only
For students living in private rental accommodation:
Applicants must ensure they have entered current banking details into MyCQU for payment to occur. Scholarship payments will be made to successful applicants after final post Census date eligibility checks.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account. When payment has been made into the nominated bank account, a remittance advice will be sent to your official CQUniversity student email address. Payments in advance cannot be made.
Applications must include all necessary supporting documents. Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants will need to supply the following supporting documentation:
- Confirmation of Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Identity Documents:
- Provide a letter signed by the Chairperson and with the seal of an Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander organisation in the community in which the student lives or has previously lived; or
- A student may submit a Statutory Declaration stating that they are in the process of obtaining a Confirmation of Identity, along with the expected date they will be able to submit it. The expected date should be prior to Census date in that term, as actual payment cannot be made without the Confirmation of Identity document.
- Personal statement addressing the Selection Criteria (see Selection Criteria tab)
- Documents demonstrating previous academic success or University Unofficial Transcript
- Income documents which generally include payslips or Centrelink Income Statements
To apply for the Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship:
Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
- For Current students (applicants who have already have a Student ID number) apply through MyCQU . You will need to log in with your student details.
- For Future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer) MyCQU .
Complete Applications must be received at the Student Scholarships Office by 5 pm AEST on the closing date. Please ensure all supporting documents are attached to the application as incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Student Scholarships Team will assess Commonwealth Scholarship applications. Academic progress will be taken into consideration for those applicants who are continuing CQUniversity students. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application via their CQUniversity student email as soon as possible after the selection panel meets. Decisions are final.
Commonwealth Government Indigenous Student Success Program
Position As Student Assistant (Hilfsassistenz) , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 8 days ago
Institute for International and Comparative Constitutional Law Position as Student Assistant (Hilfsassistenz) 20-30 % The Chair for Public Law with a focus on International and Comparative Law at t...
Ph D Candidate In Political Science, Radboud University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
The Department of Political Science at the Nijmegen School of Management (Radboud University) invites applications for a PhD Candidate position on the research project REDRESS: Revitalised Democra...
Bc Neihr Indigenous Graduate And Postdoctoral Funding, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 3 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline Likely January 2022 Annual Value Master's: $17,500, Doctoral: $35,000, Postdoctoral: $59,398 Citizenship Canadian Permanent Resident Degree Level Masters Doctoral To devel...
Queen Elizabeth Scholars, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 3 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline Likely October 2021 Citizenship Canadian Permanent Resident International Degree Level Masters Doctoral This funding opportunity is for faculty members, rather than studen...
Iode War Memorial Scholarship, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 3 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline Letter of intent: likely October 2021; Full Application: likely November 2021 Annual Value $15,000 Citizenship Canadian Degree Level Doctoral The National Chapter of Canad...
International Tuition Award, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 2 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline International students are automatically considered for this award. No application is required. Annual Value Up to $3,200 per year Citizenship International Degree Level M...