The Garth Barnett Scholarship is offered in memory of Garth Barnett, a self-taught designer, who understood the value of education. The scholarship aims to support students who would otherwise not have the opportunity for university study, but have a passion and talent (or potential talent) for design, specifically in Interior & Spatial Design and Architecture.
Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship.
Value and duration
The Scholarship will be awarded to a maximum of six (6) Recipients each year - three (3) from each discipline.
The maximum value of the Scholarship is $19,500 to each Recipient, paid over three (3) years.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Full time enrolment in one of the eligible UTS undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; or
- One of the above degrees combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies or Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; and
- Be commencing their first year of an eligible undergraduate degree at UTS in the Autumn session of the Scholarship selection; and
- Achieved an ATAR or equivalent of 69 or above, excluding bonus points; or
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant who has accepted an offer through the Jumbunna Direct Entry Program; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible.
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
As demonstrated in the Scholarship application and interview:
- Passion and talent for design, specifically in interiors.
- Motivation to pursue a career in interiors using innovative thinking and exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative to seek opportunities to continually advance their professional and personal lives.
- Academic merit.
- Equity circumstances or educational disadvantages/barriers as assessed by the UAC Equity Scholarship or Educational Access Scheme application.
- Part of an underrepresented group in higher education as detailed in the Eligibility Criteria.
In addition to the Eligibility Criteria, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria as evidenced by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship, Educational Access Scheme, or Schools Recommendation Scheme supplied with the scholarship application:
- Have a low socio-economic status background (low SES); and/or
- Have a non-English speaking background (NESB); and/or
- Have a long term medical condition; and/or
- Have a disability; and/or
- Are from a regional or remote area; and/or
- Are an Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian; and/or
- Experiencing educational barriers and/or personal hardship, including but not limited to being a carer, a sole parent or a refugee.
- Be part of and underrepresented group in higher education, including but not limited to people transitioning out of foster care, new migrant, first in family student as demonstrated with a Statutory Declaration
How to apply
To apply for the Garth Barnett Scholarship, please submit the online application form by midnight on Monday 29 January 2018.
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Opening date: 02 November 2017
Closing date: 29 January 2018
For further information contact
Ph D Position: Development Of Graphene Biocatalysts For Enzymatic Biofuel Cells, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
Apply no later than 5 January 2018 Apply for the job at DTU Chemistry by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD position is open in the group NanoChemistry at Department of Chemistry, T...
Ph D Scholarship In Application Of Machine Learning Techniques To Optical Fibre Sensing, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 14 days ago
Apply no later than 8 November 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Fotonik by completing the following form. Apply online Applications are invited for a 3-year PhD position within the field of optical f...
Ph D Fellow In Organic Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in organic chemistry commencing 01.01.2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. Description of t...
Ph D Scholarship In Microcontainers For Oral Drug Delivery, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
Apply no later than 3 December 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Nanotech by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Nanotech conducts cross-disciplinary research where micro- and nanotechnolo...
Ph D Scholarship In Supramolecular And Bioorganic Chemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
Apply no later than 31 December 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Chemistry by completing the following form. Apply online A 3-year PhD scholarship in supramolecular and bioorganic chemistry is availa...
Postdoc And Ph D Positions In The Area Of Microbial Enzyme Production, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 6 days ago
Apply no later than 16 November 2017 Apply for the job at Center for Biosustainability by completing the following form. Apply online We are seeking outstanding candidates for a 2,5 year postdoc ...