The Garth Barnett Scholarship is offered in memory of Garth Barnett, a self-taught designer, who understood the value of education. The scholarship aims to support students who would otherwise not have the opportunity for university study, but have a passion and talent (or potential talent) for design, specifically in Interior & Spatial Design and Architecture.
Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship.
Value and duration
The Scholarship will be awarded to a maximum of six (6) Recipients each year - three (3) from each discipline.
The maximum value of the Scholarship is $19,500 to each Recipient, paid over three (3) years.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Full time enrolment in one of the eligible UTS undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; or
- One of the above degrees combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies or Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; and
- Be commencing their first year of an eligible undergraduate degree at UTS in the Autumn session of the Scholarship selection; and
- Achieved an ATAR or equivalent of 69 or above, excluding bonus points; or
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant who has accepted an offer through the Jumbunna Direct Entry Program; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible.
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
As demonstrated in the Scholarship application and interview:
- Passion and talent for design, specifically in interiors.
- Motivation to pursue a career in interiors using innovative thinking and exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative to seek opportunities to continually advance their professional and personal lives.
- Academic merit.
- Equity circumstances or educational disadvantages/barriers as assessed by the UAC Equity Scholarship or Educational Access Scheme application.
- Part of an underrepresented group in higher education as detailed in the Eligibility Criteria.
In addition to the Eligibility Criteria, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria as evidenced by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship, Educational Access Scheme, or Schools Recommendation Scheme supplied with the scholarship application:
- Have a low socio-economic status background (low SES); and/or
- Have a non-English speaking background (NESB); and/or
- Have a long term medical condition; and/or
- Have a disability; and/or
- Are from a regional or remote area; and/or
- Are an Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian; and/or
- Experiencing educational barriers and/or personal hardship, including but not limited to being a carer, a sole parent or a refugee.
- Be part of and underrepresented group in higher education, including but not limited to people transitioning out of foster care, new migrant, first in family student as demonstrated with a Statutory Declaration .
Applications for the Garth Barnett Scholarship are currently closed.
Applications for this Scholarship open progressively from the 1st of November each year. Information on How to Apply will be available during the application period.
Opening date: 23 March 2017
Closing date: 20 April 2017
For further information contact
2008 Design And Fine Arts Scholarship, Massey University, New Zealand, 5 days ago
2008 Design and Fine Arts Scholarship Closing date: to be announced Not for posting on the website Scholarship application Current students Log in to the student portal. Select the scholarships t...
Wellington City Council Award For Creativity And Innovation, Massey University, New Zealand, 14 days ago
Closing date: to be announced Wellington City Council Scholarships for Creativity and Innovation Title The Scholarships will be known as the Wellington City Council Scholarships for Creativity and...
Scottish International Scholarship, Massey University, New Zealand, 13 days ago
Closing date: to be announced The Scottish Executive is offering a scholarship to a New Zealand resident for the 2007/8 academic year. The scholarship is administered by the British Council. The s...
2008 Affect M Des Scholarship, Massey University, New Zealand, 5 days ago
Closing date: to be announced This is a one off scholarship, awarded in 2008 only from monies received from the Tertiary Education Commission for the Growth and Innovation Pilot Initiative project...
Ph D Scholarships, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 18 hours ago
Apply no later than 13 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Compute by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Compute invites talented candidates who have obtained remarkable results dur...
Innovation Funding Administrator 0.5 Fte, University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
£21,585 to £24,983 per annum, pro rata The Innovation Funding Administrator will work as part of the Innovation Funding Team to provide high quality administrative support across all areas of the ...