The Garth Barnett Scholarship is offered in memory of Garth Barnett, a self-taught designer, who understood the value of education. The scholarship aims to support students who would otherwise not have the opportunity for university study, but have a passion and talent (or potential talent) for design, specifically in Interior & Spatial Design and Architecture.
Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship.
Value and duration
The Scholarship will be awarded to a maximum of six (6) Recipients each year - three (3) from each discipline.
The maximum value of the Scholarship is $19,500 to each Recipient, paid over three (3) years.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Full time enrolment in one of the eligible UTS undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; or
- One of the above degrees combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies or Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; and
- Be commencing their first year of an eligible undergraduate degree at UTS in the Autumn session of the Scholarship selection; and
- Achieved an ATAR or equivalent of 69 or above, excluding bonus points; or
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant who has accepted an offer through the Jumbunna Direct Entry Program; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible.
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
As demonstrated in the Scholarship application and interview:
- Passion and talent for design, specifically in interiors.
- Motivation to pursue a career in interiors using innovative thinking and exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative to seek opportunities to continually advance their professional and personal lives.
- Academic merit.
- Equity circumstances or educational disadvantages/barriers as assessed by the UAC Equity Scholarship or Educational Access Scheme application.
- Part of an underrepresented group in higher education as detailed in the Eligibility Criteria.
In addition to the Eligibility Criteria, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria as evidenced by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship, Educational Access Scheme, or Schools Recommendation Scheme supplied with the scholarship application:
- Have a low socio-economic status background (low SES); and/or
- Have a non-English speaking background (NESB); and/or
- Have a long term medical condition; and/or
- Have a disability; and/or
- Are from a regional or remote area; and/or
- Are an Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian; and/or
- Experiencing educational barriers and/or personal hardship, including but not limited to being a carer, a sole parent or a refugee.
- Be part of and underrepresented group in higher education, including but not limited to people transitioning out of foster care, new migrant, first in family student as demonstrated with a Statutory Declaration
How to apply
To apply for the Garth Barnett Scholarship, please submit the online application form by midnight on Monday 29 January 2018.
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Opening date: 02 November 2017
Closing date: 29 January 2018
For further information contact
Ph D Position On Rf And Mmwave Ic Design For 5 G, High Capacity Wireless And Radio Over Fiber..., IMEC, Belgium, 26 days ago
What you will do The Design group of the Ghent University-imec IDLab research group is currently looking for several new PhD and post-doc researchers. The Design team is internationally recognized...
Ph D In Entrepreneurship And Design, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
The Department of Entrepreneurship and Relationship Management invites applications for a 3-year PhD Scholarship in the crossfield of Entrepreneurship and Design. The position is open from 01.06.2...
Ph D In 3 D Intra Cardiac Echography, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 5 days ago
The recruited PhD will work on the acoustical aspects of a project called “3D intra-cardiac echography” (3D-ICE). In this project we will develop a new generation of ultrasound probes for real-tim...
Ph D Student On Architectures For Embedded Machine Learning And Self Adaptation In Reconfigurable..., Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain, 27 days ago
At the Centre on Software Technologies and Multimedia Systems (CITSEM), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM), Spain, we are opening a 3-year position for a PhD student in the area of efficient ...
Ph D Student, In The Joint Industrial Ph D Program With Xinhuanet, On The Subject Of Social Internet..., Centrum Wiskunde en Informatica (CWI), Netherlands, 29 days ago
Candidates are required to have a master degree in computer science, telecommunications, biomedical engineering, communication engineering or related field. In particular, the candidate should hav...
Ph D Scholarships, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 5 days ago
Apply no later than 13 April 2018 Apply for the job at DTU Compute by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Compute invites talented candidates who have obtained remarkable results durin...