The Garth Barnett Scholarship is offered in memory of Garth Barnett, a self-taught designer, who understood the value of education. The scholarship aims to support students who would otherwise not have the opportunity for university study, but have a passion and talent (or potential talent) for design, specifically in Interior & Spatial Design and Architecture.
Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship.
Value and duration
The Scholarship will be awarded to a maximum of six (6) Recipients each year - three (3) from each discipline.
The maximum value of the Scholarship is $19,500 to each Recipient, paid over three (3) years.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Full time enrolment in one of the eligible UTS undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; or
- One of the above degrees combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies or Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; and
- Be commencing their first year of an eligible undergraduate degree at UTS in the Autumn session of the Scholarship selection; and
- Achieved an ATAR or equivalent of 69 or above, excluding bonus points; or
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant who has accepted an offer through the Jumbunna Direct Entry Program; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible.
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
As demonstrated in the Scholarship application and interview:
- Passion and talent for design, specifically in interiors.
- Motivation to pursue a career in interiors using innovative thinking and exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative to seek opportunities to continually advance their professional and personal lives.
- Academic merit.
- Equity circumstances or educational disadvantages/barriers as assessed by the UAC Equity Scholarship or Educational Access Scheme application.
- Part of an underrepresented group in higher education as detailed in the Eligibility Criteria.
In addition to the Eligibility Criteria, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria as evidenced by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship, Educational Access Scheme, or Schools Recommendation Scheme supplied with the scholarship application:
- Have a low socio-economic status background (low SES); and/or
- Have a non-English speaking background (NESB); and/or
- Have a long term medical condition; and/or
- Have a disability; and/or
- Are from a regional or remote area; and/or
- Are an Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian; and/or
- Experiencing educational barriers and/or personal hardship, including but not limited to being a carer, a sole parent or a refugee.
- Be part of and underrepresented group in higher education, including but not limited to people transitioning out of foster care, new migrant, first in family student as demonstrated with a Statutory Declaration
How to apply
To apply for the Garth Barnett Scholarship, please submit the online application form by midnight on Monday 29 January 2018.
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Opening date: 02 November 2017
Closing date: 29 January 2018
For further information contact
Penny Morris Research Scholarship, University of Melbourne, Australia, about 13 hours ago
Penny Morris Research Scholarship This scholarship provides a stipend worth $30,000 a year to support a domestic student through a Master of Philosophy or PhD in the Faculty of Architecture, Busin...
Postdoc: Design Literacy For K12 Students In The Field Of Computational Empowerment , jobs.ac.uk, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
The Department of Digital Design and Information Studies at Aarhus University, in collaboration with the Center for Computational Thinking and Design, invites applications for a fully funded 2-yea...
Ph D Studentship: Multi Disciplinary Design Optimisation Of Cellular Heat Exchangers , jobs.ac.uk, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Research group: Computational Engineering and Design, Faculty of Engineering and the Environment Heat exchangers are used widely throughout the automotive, marine and aerospace sectors and are tra...
Doctoral Candidate, Aalto University, Finland, 13 days ago
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovativ...
Doctoral Fee Scholarships (Art & Design), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 17 days ago
Closing date: 01/12/2018 1 June & 1 December Value of Award: Tuition fee + learner services levy No. of awards: Determined annually Tenure: · The tenure of this scholarship is for up to fo...
Doctoral Fee Scholarships (Art & Design), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, about 17 hours ago
Closing date: 26/06/2018 1 June & 1 DecemberRe-opened to 26 June 2018 Value of Award: Tuition fee + learner services levy No. of awards: Determined annually Tenure: · The tenure of this sc...