- Developing large-scale seed propagation treatments for species-rich mining environments
Rehabilitation of mined landscapes in the Jarrah Forest ecosystems of south-west Western Australia involves large-scale application of species-rich seed mixes. To improve seed use efficiency for species with problematic propagation requirements this project aims to develop a range of ecologically informed dormancy and seed enhancement technology applications. Within a PhD program there is the potential to study a number of areas focused on seed recruitment ecology of problematic species:
- Intra- and inter-specific variation between populations or collections years. This could include laboratory-based measures of depth of initial seed dormancy amongst populations, defined through response to smoke (including focus on plasticity in smoke response), and wet/dry and stratification treatments to characterise species or population differences and to refine procedures to increase the germination response.
- Dormancy status/cycling in the soil seed bank (and role of smoke in this) through burial and retrieval studies, to examine dormancy loss in soil, including timing of onset and rate of embryo-growth, timing and rate of emergence, seed persistence in soil. These types of burial experiments have not been conducted in detail for Jarrah forest ecosystems, and they could include comparisons of seeds in forest vs rehab sites.
- The efficacy of the lab-based dormancy pre-treatments in promoting seedling emergence of seeds sown in rehabilitation, overlayed with timing of seed sowing, or other treatments including priming in smoke/KAR
- Along with the ecophysiology work, experiments would encompass approaches to develop reliable and practical germination promoting pre-treatments. Based on previous work, this would focus at least initially on variations of wet/dry cycling treatments, including efforts to simplify the number of steps whilst maximising the benefit and repeatability (through considering timing/duration of exposure to different temperatures or watering treatments, the role of light/dark at different stages, timing of application of smoke).
Available in Round 2 2021 for Domestic and International Students in Australia
- Payment type
- Fortnightly Stipend
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Experience in undertaking field work in remote environments
- Preferred knowledge of seed ecology and dormancy mechanisms
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, International
- Study area
- Plant Biology
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- UWA Only
- Currently available
- Application status
Announcement About Recruitment To The Poznań Doctoral School Of Institutes Of The Polish Academy Of..., Institute of Dendrology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 1 day ago
Position type: doctoral student Number of vacancies: 1 Discipline: biological sciences Application deadline: 25/10/2021 Detailed information about recruitment process can be found on the website: ...
Joint Ph D Scholarship In Forest Ecology At Uc Louvain – Ku Leuven (Belgium), Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL), Laos, 4 days ago
Candidate profile - a master degree in forest science, forest ecology, soil science, environmental science, or related fields; - experience in and motivation for field work; - skills in statistics...
Ph D Position In Forest Ecology , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Professorship ...
Ph D Student In Earth & Environmental Science: "The Climate Potential Of Gardens", Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 4 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-649) Laatst aangepast : 26/08/2021 A 4-year PhD position (advisor: Prof. Ben Somers) focused on “Unlocking the climate change mitigation and adaptation potential of domestic gardens...
Ph D Student For Integrated And Organic Nectarine Orchards, IRTA, Spain, 2 days ago
The Thematic Research Line of the project is Integrated Arthropod Pest Management Programs, included in the Spanish State Plan for Scientific and Technical Research and Innovation (2017-2020) Chal...
Ph D Position In Forest Ecology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 22 days ago
PhD position in Forest Ecology The Professorship of Forest Ecology at ETH Zurich is a dynamic interdisciplinary research team that examines both theoretical and applied questions in forest ecology...