- Enhance your PhD studies and kickstart your research career with a Data61 PhD scholarship at Australia’s premier research organisation for digital science and technology.
- Work alongside leading data scientists and engineers in real life projects aimed at solving Australia’s biggest challenges.
- Our scholarship students are the next generation research leaders in data science who progress to a diverse range of careers in industry, research and academia
Data61 is the data and digital specialist arm of CSIRO. We are creating Australia's data-driven challenges through innovative science and technology.
We are inviting applications for the Data61 PhD scholarship program. We are looking for diverse and creative scholars, who can demonstrate academic and research excellence, and are capable of driving our impactful research projects that help shape Australia’s digital future.
Our previous scholarship recipients are successfully employed in the industry, tech companies and SMEs, universities and leading research institutes in Australia and around the globe. Our graduates complete the program with a lifelong connection to CSIRO through our alumni network.
Research projects: For details of the research projects that may be undertaken, please view the research projects lis t (link). You can apply for a maximum of two projects (2 preferences). Note: Some projects listed may not proceed.
Location: Various locations across Australia, in a CSIRO facility.
Tenure: Maximum term of 3.5 years (less any time lapsed in PhD if you are already enrolled and commenced studies at the university)
- Includes the Research Training Program (RTP) base rate (2022 rate $28,854 pa) and/or Top-up scholarship of $10,000 per annum.
- Benefits of up to $5,000 learning and development funding over the term of the scholarship to support your research and future career.
- Access to world-class research facilities and excellent tools, support and resources to bring your research to life.
- Connect into an inclusive culture where the diversity of people, experiences and views are valued, and where you will use your skills to help solve complex national and global problems.
Applications are only open to domestic and international students who are currently residing in Australia.
To be eligible you must have:
- A first-class honours Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the relevant research area;
- Applied for admission or already enrolled in an Australian University as a PhD student;
- A university supervisor who is willing and able to supervise you;
- Minimum of 2 referees willing to provide reference for your academic and research skills/experience; and
- Not already hold a PhD degree.
If you have already commenced your PhD studies, you must be less than 12 months into your PhD at 01 February 2022.
- Will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
- International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship.
- Must currently be residing in Australia in order to commence their PhD and take up the scholarship between 1 February – 31 March 2022.
Applications will be assessed on:
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
You will be required to submit your application in the following order:
1. In the ‘Resume/CV’ field attach your Cover Letter, Resume/CV as one document.
2. In the ‘Cover Letter’ field attach your Academic Transcripts
3. In the ‘Education’ section select your university from the Educational Institute list.
Applications must be supported by two referee reports using the Data61 referee report template (link). These should be completed by the referee and sent from the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application closing date.
Additional Information for preparing your application
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Your CV provides an overview of your educational and employment history and your skills. You should include:
List all degrees studied in your educational history, indicating the name of the degree, university, years studied and GPA if known. If you completed a thesis as part of your degree, provide its title, the mark and list your supervisor/s.
List your employer, your role, duration of employment, duties and achievements.
List any awards received throughout your tertiary study or employment. Do not provide/attach evidence of awards, for example certificates.
Provide a list of publications that have been accepted or published. Do not list publications that are submitted. Do not attach publications/papers to your application. Do not attach your Masters or Honours theses.
You may provide other information in the CV that you think is relevant to your assessment, for example, information about research interests, research project experience, or key skills such as coding.
Provide official transcripts for all university studies as pdf documents, including degrees not completed or abandoned. Provide translated documents where transcripts are in a language other than English. Ensure scans are legible. Do not provide transcripts from high school, testamurs/degree certificates or award certificates.
5 November 2021,11.00pm AEDT
Applications may close for projects as suitable candidates are found, therefore early applications are strongly encouraged.
Ph D Scholarships Aerostructures, Composite Materials, Additive Manufacturing Or Digital Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Tailored training program focused on collaboration, innovation and research translation Full time, fixed term position with a stipend of $30,000 p.a for 3.5 years Located onsite at Swinburne Unive...
Masters Scholarships – Aerostructures, Composite Materials, Additive Manufacturing Or Digital Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Tailored training program focused on collaboration, innovation and research translation Full time, fixed term position with a stipend of $30,000 p.a for 2 years Located onsite at Swinburne Univers...
Ph D Scholarship In Lunar Based Casting Technologies, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia, 3 days ago
School of Engineering Full time, 3 year scholarship (with possible 6 month extension) at our Hawthorn Campus $28,597 (indexed) (2021 rate) for three years Fantastic opportunity to take part in a P...
Ph D Scholarship In Indigenous Urban Water Design, Monash University, Australia, about 7 hours ago
PhD Scholarship in Indigenous Urban Water Design Job No.: 628678 Location: Caufield campus Employment Type: Full-time Duration: 3-year and 3-month fixed-term appointment Remuneration: The successf...
Ph D Scholarship Assistive Technology For Aged Care And Disabilities, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia, about 15 hours ago
School of Engineering Full time, fixed term position (3.5 years) at our Hawthorn campus Scholarship amount (SUPRA Rate $28,597 pa) About the Scholarship The new exciting PhD position has become av...
Ph D Scholarship Transfusion And Health Economics, Monash University, Australia, about 6 hours ago
PhD Scholarship - Transfusion and Health Economics Job No.: 628238 Location: 553 St Kilda Road, Melbourne Employment Type: Full-time (part-time by negotiation) Duration: 3-year fixed-term appointm...