- Are you passionate about a career in research?
- Want to access CSIRO's world-class facilities and staff?
- Apply for a CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship now!
CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships provide enhanced opportunities in science and engineering for outstanding graduates enrolling in a PhD each year at Australian tertiary institutions as postgraduates. CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are now being offered in over 30 CSIRO research areas, for funding commencing in financial year 2021-22.
CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are available to postgraduate students who have gained (or expect to gain), first or upper second class honours or equivalent, in relevant research areas. Students must also be in receipt of, or expect to receive, a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or an equivalent primary scholarship commencing in 2021 or early 2022. Joint supervision of students by a university and a CSIRO supervisor is required and such joint supervisory arrangements must be consistent with the Higher Degree by Research Regulations of the host university. The students’ research will be co-supervised by CSIRO and university researchers.
A CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship is a supplementary award, which adds to the student’s support from a principal scholarship awarded by another body, e.g. RTP scholarship. In all respects recipients of awards will be regarded as students of the University at which they are registered, and all rules relating to degree candidature and the primary award will apply. In particular, recipients will undertake research at CSIRO as a student of the university concerned and will not be employees of CSIRO.
Recipients of CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are generally required to be Australian citizens or permanent residents. However, in fields in which there is a national skill shortage, awards may be awarded to overseas candidates.
CSIRO Health & Biosecurity’s research programs focus on health and biosecurity preparedness and responsiveness, digital health, and health and wellbeing. For more information please see our website at Health & Biosecurity (link).
Research areas: for details of research areas and how to apply please see document CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships - Health and Biosecurity (link to Excel document)
Location: Various locations across Australia
Scholarship: Top-Up Scholarship of $10,000 per annum, plus a learning and development budget of $5,000 over the term of the studentship
To be eligible to apply you must have (or expect to gain):
- first or upper second-class honours or equivalent in a relevant research area;
- admission to an Australian University as a PhD student;
- hold an appropriate visa to study in Australia (if international)*
- be no further than one year (FTE) into a PhD on commencing at CSIRO
- hold a primary scholarship; for example, a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or other primary scholarship of similar value
- not be in receipt of any other Top-Up Scholarship
- be available to commence with CSIRO no later than 30 June 2022
- a university supervisor who is willing and able to supervise you.
* International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship. The successful student must be residing in Australia in order to commence their PhD and take up the CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship by no later than 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Applications will be assessed on:
How to apply:
You will be required to:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements;
- the names and contact details of two academic referees; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
1 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
Bertalli Family Foundation Indigenous Nursing Scholarship, Deakin University, Australia, 1 day ago
Important dates Applications for Trimester 1 2022 open 18 October 2021. Applications for Trimester 1 2022 close 24 January 2022 at 5pm. Benefits This scholarship offers cash payments of up to $12,...
Bertalli Family Foundation Rural Doctor Scholarships , Deakin University, Australia, 1 day ago
Important dates Applications for Trimester 1 2022 open 18 October 2021. Applications for Trimester 1 2022 close 6 December 2021 at 5pm. Benefits This scholarship offers cash payments of up to $12,...
Ph D Scholarship Investigating The Molecular Basis Of Mr1 Metabolite Processing And Presentation, Monash University, Australia, about 19 hours ago
PhD Scholarship - Investigating the molecular basis of MR1-metabolite processing and presentation Job No.: 626663 Employment Type: Full-time Duration: 3-year fixed-term appointment Location: Clayt...
Ph D Research Scholarship In Ai And Energy, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Collaborative project between Swinburne University of Technology and CSIRO Energy Full time, 3 year scholarship at our Hawthorn campus $28,597 per annum (2021 SUPRA rate) About the Scholarship Thi...
Ph D Scholarship Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, Monash University, Australia, about 19 hours ago
PhD Scholarship - Melbourne Sexual Health Centre Job No.: 625130 Location: Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, 580 Swanston Street, Carlton Employment Type: Full-time Duration: 3-year fixed-term appoi...
Ph D Scholarship In Social Science Social Media Analysis Of Diaspora Humanitarians, Monash University, Australia, about 19 hours ago
PhD Scholarship in Social Science - Social Media Analysis of Diaspora Humanitarians Job No: 626409 Location: Clayton campus Employment Type: Full-time Duration: 3-year and 3-month fixed-term appoi...