Applications open: 15/01/2024
Applications close: 6/03/2024
About this scholarship
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program is funded by the Australian Federal Government. It aims to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students experiencing financial hardship, particularly those from remote and regional areas.
The Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship is available to students who have relocated from a rural or remote area to study and are experiencing financial hardship. It assists with the costs of relocating and housing.
- Current Students
- Centre for Aboriginal Studies
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Science & Engineering
- Science courses
- Engineering courses
- Western Australian School of Mines (WASM)
- Pathways to undergraduate
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Students
- Australian Citizen
- Need Based
The Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships will provide the following support for the normal expected remaining duration of the course.
- A cash stipend of up to $3,000 per semester
The scholarship will assist with relocation and accommodation costs.
- Enabling courses
- Associate Degree courses
- Bachelor Degree courses
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for the Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (ICAS):
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- Enrolled full-time (at least 75 credits per semester) or part-time (at least 50 credits per semester) in one of the eligible courses at Curtin University in semester 1, 2024
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Demonstrated low socio-economic status
- Not already have completed a course of study that is equivalent to a bachelor degree at any university, unless such degree is a prerequisite to a current course of study
- Not in receipt of any Commonwealth Scholarship(s) that was awarded prior to 2024
- Relocated from a regional or remote area of Australia to study
- Enrolled as an internal student (e.g., attending units on campus) unless exceptional circumstances prevent this
- Not already in receipt of an Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship
- Not in receipt of a Relocation Scholarship through Services Australia
- Not in receipt of ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option through Services Australia
- Not in receipt of any accommodation scholarship
- If you are already in receipt of a Relocation Scholarship through Services Australia, you must contact Services Australia and cancel your Relocation Scholarship first.
- If you are in receipt of ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option through Services Australia, you should consider which option is better for your circumstances (ABSTUDY RCO vs ICAS) before you apply for this scholarship.
- This scholarship is not deferrable.
Step 1: Access application form
- Application form can be accessed via the ‘My Studies’ tab in OASIS or via the ‘Apply Online’ button on the top right-hand side of this page
- Please note that this link will direct you to the general "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship Program " application form. Once you submit your application, you will then be considered for all scholarships that you are eligible for in this round.
Step 2: Complete
- Complete the application form online
- Application form can be saved at any point of the process
- Tips on how to complete your application can be found on the ‘Applying for scholarships’ link on the scholarships website
- For any assistance with the application process or your application, please contact us on 1300 222 888 or email us at [email protected] . Please note: appointments can be made to speak to an advisor in person.
Step 3: Submit
- Closing date is listed at the top of the page and within the Scholarships Channel on OASIS
- Incomplete applications will not be assessed
- Once submitted, application status will change to submitted
Step 4: Receipt
- Application receipt will be sent to student email once application has been submitted
Step 5: Assessment
- Applications will be assessed by an assessment panel using the following criteria:
- Responses to questions in application form
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Low socio-economic background
- Priority will be given to students from a regional or remote area of Australia (E.g. A student's permanent address is regional or remote). Proof of residency in regional or remote area of Australia is required (either current or previous address immediately prior to commencement of university study).
Step 6: Outcome
- All successful and unsuccessful applicants notified of their outcome via the Scholarships Channel (Student OASIS) within 6-8 weeks of the scholarship closing date
Step 7: Acceptance
- Successful applicants must accept the terms and conditions via the Scholarship Channel (Student OASIS) by the deadline
- Scholarship will be awarded if there are applicants of sufficient need
Recipients must meet all of the following:
- Remain enrolled in an eligible course of study
- Maintain a full-time enrolment (at least 75 credits each semester) or part-time (at least 50 credits each semester) at Curtin University
- Maintain a course weighted average (CWA) of at least 50 each semester
- Fail no more than one unit per study period
T: 1300 222 888
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions
For further information about applying for scholarships including important dates and tips for preparing your application, utilise the resources available on the Applying for Scholarships webpage.
Scholarships Email Alert
Sign up now
The Fiona Lavelle And Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
The Fiona Lavelle and Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, generously supported by St John Ambulance Australia will be offered for the first time in 2024. Two scholarships valued at $20,000 eac...
Baidam Solutions And Tenable Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Stem Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: be Aboriginal and/or Torres S...
Corporeal Health Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: have attended a remote or reg...