Applications open: 1/10/2023
Applications close: 31/01/2024
About this scholarship
Disclaimer - This Roberta Sykes Scholarship is made available and administered by Aurora Foundation and is not affiliated with Curtin. You should contact Aurora Foundation for up to date information about this scholarship program, and to apply.
The Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation provides supplementary financial assistance to Indigenous Postgraduate students who wish to undertake studies at any recognised overseas university. The scholarship is offered for one year, but recipients may reapply for a subsequent year of the same program of study. Roberta Sykes Scholarships are jointly funded by the Australian Government (National Indigenous Australians Agency), the British High Commission (Chevening), Cambridge Australia Scholarships Ltd, Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, and the University of Cambridge.
- Current Students
- Centre for Aboriginal Studies
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Science & Engineering
- Science courses
- Engineering courses
- Western Australian School of Mines (WASM)
- Postgraduate coursework
- Higher Degree by Research
- Curtin students wanting to study overseas
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Students
- Australian Citizen
- Merit Based
Total up to: $30,000 approximately for the duration of the program
For more information, please visit Aurora Foundation website
- Postgraduate coursework
- Postgraduate research
Area of study:
- Any area of study
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and be accepted as such by the community in which they live or have lived;
- Hold an Undergraduate degree with strong performance;
- Be accepted into a Postgraduate coursework or research degree at an overseas university;
- Be able to demonstrate that they have or will have sufficient funds to support themselves during the course of their Postgraduate study, such as through another scholarship, private sponsorship or personal funds;
- Be able to demonstrate that their studies will be of benefit to their community upon their return to Australia.
Please complete an online application form via Aurora Foundation website.
You will need the following documents:
- Your personal statement should address the following:
- Why you want to study your chosen course, how you identify with the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community in which you live/have lived and past contributions you have made within your community and ways in which understanding your chosen course will benefit the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community (and wider community) following the completion of your course.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV);
- Academic transcripts: official transcripts of your university results (including mid-year if possible);
- Offer letter – offer letter or proof of application to selected institution. This will need to be sent directly to [email protected];
- Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Descent: through a signed statement, including a common seal.
- A high resolution headshot;
- Four references: 2 Academic and/or Professional, 1 Personal and 1 Community – for more explanation on this please see the “further information” tab via Aurora Foundation website.
Application documents explained:
- A Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Descent is a signed statement, including a common seal that is typically administered by an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Heritage Association, Corporation or Land Council.
Aurora understands that the process to obtain a Confirmation of Aboriginality with a common seal is complex, but it is required for your application to the Scholarship, any applications without this document will be marked as incomplete and will not be assessed.
- Academic: academic staff such as Lecturers, Tutors and Course Coordinators – someone who can speak to how you have undertaken your studies. Professional staff members, such as Student Success Officers, will not be accepted.
- Personal: someone who you hold a long-standing relationship with and can speak to your character and aspirations.
- Professional: someone who is/was your reporting manager.
- Community: a recognised Leader or Elder in your community.
For more information, please visit Aurora Foundation website.
- 2020-Study-Tour-Symposium-Reflections (1).pdf
- Study Tour 2021 Round 2 Information Sheet.pdf
Scholarships Email Alert
Sign up now
The Fiona Lavelle And Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, Edith Cowan University, Australia, 5 days ago
The Fiona Lavelle and Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, generously supported by St John Ambulance Australia will be offered for the first time in 2024. Two scholarships valued at $20,000 eac...
Baidam Solutions And Tenable Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Stem Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, 5 days ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: be Aboriginal and/or Torres S...
Corporeal Health Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, 5 days ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: have attended a remote or reg...
Up To 5 Ph D Scholarships In Astrophysics At The University Of Western Australia, University of Western Australia, Australia, about 10 hours ago
The University of Western Australia (UWA) node of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) invites applications for up-to five fully-funded PhD scholarships to start in mid-...
The Murdoch University Indo Pacific Ph D Scholarship, Murdoch University, Australia, 1 day ago
The Murdoch University Indo-Pacific PhD Scholarship Murdoch University is proud of its deep engagement with countries in the Indo-Pacific region, and of our extensive regional alumni networks. In ...
The Murdoch University Indonesia Ph D Scholarship, Murdoch University, Australia, 1 day ago
The Murdoch University Indonesia PhD Scholarship Murdoch University is proud of its deep engagement with Indonesia, and of our extensive Indonesian alumni networks. In recognition of this importan...