Applications open: 27/07/2023
Applications close: 17/11/2023
About this scholarship
The Michael Jones Memorial Scholarship has been established to support a student from one of the Kalgoorlie-Boulder local high schools who enrols at the university to study a course in the WA School of Mines (WASM). The Jones family (Don Jones Retravision) established the scholarship in memory of Michael who was killed in a mining accident at the Hunt decline in Kambalda.
Michael Jones completed his Mining Engineering degree at the WA School of Mines (WASM) graduating with a distinction grade and was a gold medal winner in 1982 as dux of his school.
- Future Students
Faculty of Science & Engineering
- Western Australian School of Mines (WASM)
- Students from regional or remote areas
- Australian Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident
- Merit Based
The Michael Jones Memorial Scholarship will provide the following support for up to a maximum of four years (based on a full-time study load of 100 credits per semester):
- Total value of up to $12,000 paid as a cash stipend of $1,500 per semester. The amount can be used at the recipient's discretion to contribute towards educational related expenses.
All undergraduate courses within the WA School of Mines
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered eligible for the Michael Jones Memorial Scholarship:
- Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident
- ATAR of 75 or above
- Receive an offer of a place to commence an eligible undergraduate WASM course in semester 1, 2024
- Attended a Kalgoorlie-Boulder local high school
Step 1: Access online application form
- Applications are to be submitted using the online application form. Access the form by clicking on the ‘Apply Online’ button on the top right-hand side of this page
- Please note that this link will direct you to the general "Equity Scholarship Program " application form. Once you submit your application, you will then be considered for all equity scholarships that you are eligible for in this round
- If you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student and would like to be considered for all other scholarships (both equity as well as merit scholarships) available in this round, we recommend that you apply for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship Program here . Once you submit your application, you will then be considered for all other scholarships that you are eligible for in this round
Step 2: Complete
- Complete the application form online
- Application form can be saved at any point of the process
- Multiple scholarships can be applied for at one time
- Tips on how to complete your application can be found under the Applying for scholarships link on the scholarships website
Step 3: Submit
- Closing date is listed at the top of the page
- Incomplete applications will not be assessed
- Once submitted, application status will change to submitted
Step 4: Receipt
- Application receipt will be sent to the email address provided when you created your Curtin account, once your application has been submitted
Step 5: Assessment
- Applications will be assessed by an assessment panel using the following criteria:
- Responses to questions in application form
- Demonstrated academic potential
Step 6: Outcome
- Outcome will be sent via the email address listed through TISC after main round course offers (all successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified)
Step 7: Acceptance
- Successful applicants (including those who wish to defer their studies) must return acceptance documents by the deadline stipulated in the terms and conditions
- Deferral of this scholarship is not permitted
- Scholarship will be awarded if there are applicants of sufficient merit
- Scholarship will commence from first semester of study
- Scholarship is not transferable to another university
Recipients must meet all of the following:
- Remain enrolled in their initial course of study
- Maintain a full-time study load of at least 75 credit each semester at Curtin University
- Maintain a course weighted average (CWA) of at least 60
- Pass all enrolled units each semester
T: 1300 222 888
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions
For further information about applying for scholarships including important dates and tips for preparing your application, utilise the resources available on the Applying for Scholarships webpage.
Scholarships Email Alert
Sign up now
The Hanrine Foundation Aboriginal And/Or Torres Strait Islander Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Through the generous support of the Hanrine Foundation, The Hanrine Foundation Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Scholarship will be available for the first time in 2024. The Scholarship is...
The Fiona Lavelle And Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
The Fiona Lavelle and Tinesh Tamilkodi Memorial Scholarships, generously supported by St John Ambulance Australia will be offered for the first time in 2024. Two scholarships valued at $20,000 eac...
Corporeal Health Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: have attended a remote or reg...
Baidam Solutions And Tenable Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Stem Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
At a glance This scholarship is open to current ECU students. For more information, contact AskUs Eligibility guidelines To be eligible for this scholarship you must: be Aboriginal and/or Torres S...
The Murdoch University Indo Pacific Ph D Scholarship, Murdoch University, Australia, 1 day ago
The Murdoch University Indo-Pacific PhD Scholarship Murdoch University is proud of its deep engagement with countries in the Indo-Pacific region, and of our extensive regional alumni networks. In ...
Up To 5 Ph D Scholarships In Astrophysics At The University Of Western Australia, University of Western Australia, Australia, 4 days ago
The University of Western Australia (UWA) node of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) invites applications for up-to five fully-funded PhD scholarships to start in mid-...