About this scholarship
The purpose of the Humanities Rob Riley Memorial Scholarship is to honour the memory of Rob Riley by supporting and encouraging Indigenous students in postgraduate course studies within the Faculty of Humanities.
Rob Riley was a prominent Aboriginal activist and community leader who tirelessly advocated for social justice for Aboriginal people in Australia. Over his life, Rob held many influential roles such as CEO of the WA Aboriginal Legal Service, Chairperson of the National Aboriginal Council and was a senior advisor to the Federal Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.
Rob Riley established Curtin's Centre for Aboriginal Studies and was awarded the Human Rights Medal in 1996.
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Students
Maximum number awarded
The Humanities Rob Riley Memorial Scholarship will provide the following support for the normal remaining duration of the postgraduate degree for up to a maximum of 2 years (based on a full-time study load of 100 credits per semester):
- $10,000 per annum paid as a cash stipend of $5,000 per semester for the remaining duration of the degree (potential value up to $20,000). The amount can be used at the recipient’s discretion to contribute towards payment of their course fees, or other education-related expenses such as text books and/or general living expenses.
Payments occur post census date each semester. Payments will be made approximately April/May and September. First payment will be made aproximately end September/early October.
Any Humanities coursework Masters degree that is also an HDR pathway course (that is, it will have a research training component that is equivalent to Honours as per the AQF)
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria to be eligible for the Humanities Rob Riley Memorial Scholarship:
- Be an Indigenous Australian
- Commencing the 1st year of your course in semester 2, 2018
- Enrolled full-time (100 credits) in an eligible course
- Not currently hold a non-Curtin funded scholarship (Commonwealth Education Costs and Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships are excepted)
Conditions that need to be met to keep your scholarship
Recipients must meet ALL of the following:
- Remain enrolled in initial course of study
- Maintain a full time study load of at least 100 credit points each semester at Curtin University
- Maintain a course weighted average (CWA) of at least 55 each semester
- Pass all units attempted each semester
Scholarship continuity is subject to meeting satisfactory academic progress as outlined above. Progress will be assessed at the end of each study period. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, a recipient with unsatisfactory progress or who breaches the scholarship conditions shall be ineligible to retain the scholarship. Exceptional circumstances must be forwarded to and shall be at the discretion of the Scholarships Office.
Changes to enrolment
If a recipient intends to do any of the following they must also apply in writing to the Scholarships Office (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for approval BEFORE the change. The Scholarships Office will advise how the change will affect their scholarship.
- Change from full time enrolment
- Change of course
Leave of Absence is not permitted.
Withdrawal or Terminated from units or course: A recipient who withdraws from their units or course of study, or has been terminated from studies will become ineligible for continuation of the scholarship, will not receive any further payments and will be required to repay to Curtin University the stipend awarded for that study period if applicable.
Need more information?
For more information about what scholarships you can apply for please visit our application profiles.
For advice on how to complete your application, please download the Application Guide.
Students may apply for as many scholarships as they are eligible for however, will only be awarded up to one Curtin funded continuing scholarship. A continuing scholarship is defined as a scholarship that has more than two payments. A Curtin funded scholarship is a scholarship that is solely funded by Curtin.
For further information about holding more than one scholarship contact email@example.com
Beijing University Of Agriculture (Bua) Postgraduate Science Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 9 hours ago
At a glance The scholarship is open to students who have completed a program at an articulated partner institution off-shore and apply to study an undergraduate course at ECU. Scholarship recipien...