About this position
EMBL is seeking a Data Steward to join Dr. Jan Korbel's group in the Genome Biology Unit and to actively participate in a portfolio of exciting projects, including the EU 1+ Million Genomes Initiative (1+MG), EUCANCan and the German Human Genome Phenome Archive (GHGA, http://www.ghga.de) – Germany’s site of the Federated EGA (European Genome Phenome Archive). GHGA is one of currently 9 funded National data infrastructure consortia in Germany (NFDI, https://www.nfdi.de/), and is currently establishing infrastructure and cloud-based frameworks for the archival, analysis and the dissemination of human omics data in Germany. With its 16 partners the GHGA network spans all major omics centers in Germany. The EMBL Heidelberg has (in collaboration with local regional partners) recently become Germany’s main national contact point for SARS-CoV-2 infection-related human omics data, which we will distribute and share with our international colleagues in Europe and world-wide.
You want to actively take advantage of your experience and participate in national and international research and service projects, to provide and unlock FAIR datasets in the field of Life Science and Medicine? The successful candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research, development and data management team and will support establishing and maintaining sustainable and comprehensive datasets of the federated EGA according to FAIR principles. This will be done in close cooperation with the GHGA partners and the EGA host institutions as well as the Data Science team at EMBL.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Management of large datasets including on clouds & data access in clouds • Curation of community-specific reference data collections
- Make data collections available within national EGA nodes, such as the German Genome-Phenome Archive, the European +1 Million Genomes Initiative, and the EU’s COVID-19 Data Portal
- Quality control and unified processing of submissions
- In close collaboration with data scientists, software engineers and postdocs of the group to contribute to best practice omics processing workflows
- Enable cross-functional linking of data concepts, vocabularies and ensure connection of data from different sources
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics statistics, Mathematics, Physics, and/or Engineering, or a degree in biological science with demonstrated experience in Computational Biology/Bioinformatics
- Profound understanding of data integration and management concepts e.g. FAIR principles
- Familiarity with IT data infrastructure concepts
- Proficiency with relevant programming languages such as Python, R or Java
- Experience in designing REST APIs and data portals
- Broad knowledge of data management architectures and relevant tools
- Ability to work on parallel tasks
- Excellent moderation, intercultural, and communication skills, i.e. being able to convince an audience of a desired strategy
- Ability to work independently and creatively while also interacting in a team environment
- Attitude to contribute to a larger scientific cause.
We encourage candidates with all levels of expertise to apply.
You might also have
- Interest in computational biology and/or data science
- Expertise in informatics
- Expertise in (agile) software development
- Expertise in system architecture
- Expertise in cloud computing
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus. You will be involved in many ongoing cutting-edge projects and activities and will collaborate with experts from the scientific community and have the possibility to acquire new state-of-the-art skills.
What else you need to know
The Korbel group at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is a ‘hybrid’ laboratory in which computational biologists and experimentalist collaborate tightly to obtain new insights into human disease and molecular mechanisms. By combining experimental and computational approaches, including single-cell sequencing technology, we aim to unravel determinants and consequences of germline and somatic genetic variation. Our group is using bulk as well as single cell-based omics approaches for investigating mechanisms behind complex phenotypes in humans, ranging from common diseases including cancer to ageing. An over-arching theme centers on the formation and selection of germline and somatic genetic variation in health and disease states, in particular genomic structural variation (SV).
Senior Data Scientist For The Single Cell Omics Platform, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 2 hours ago
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences University of Copenhagen We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated senior data scientist ...
Single Cell Genomics Lab Technician, Centre For Genomic Regulation, Spain, 18 days ago
The Institute The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiat...
Bioinformatician / Data Scientist, Institute for Research in Biomedicine (Bellinzona), USI, Switzerland, 23 days ago
About the IRB The Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB; www.irb.usi.ch ) in Bellinzona, Switzerland, is an internationally recognized research center. The activities of its 13 research group...
Project Scientist To Join The Superti Furga Lab (M/F/D), Research Center for Molecular Medicine, Austria, about 3 hours ago
Project Scientist to join the Superti-Furga Lab (m/f/d) Are you interested in evaluating the impact of genetic variations in human transporters? Do you want to join a great international team of s...
Technical Specialist Makerspace/Workshop , European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) ;, Spain, 6 days ago
About the team/job The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The newest EMBL site in Barcelona, with its focus o...
Bioinformatician (M/F/D) In Bioinformatics Core Unit (# Of Pos: 7), St. Anna Kinderkrebsforschung GmbH / St. Anna Children´s Cancer Research Institute, Austria, 3 days ago
We are extending our bioinformatics team and are seeking for an enthusiastic bioinformatician who would like to build and advance their career in translational cancer genomics. You will conduct an...