Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of high- energy-density (HED) and Inertial-Confinement-Fusion (ICF) physics, plasma physics and high intensity laser-matter interactions. We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and dedicated person to develop, test and implement improvements for our existing and planned ultra-fast x-ray diagnostics for energies between 10-50keV. The work also involves finding and implementing new techniques as well as sources for calibration measurements. This position is in the X-ray Measurement & Diagnostic Science (Detection) group in the High Energy Density Science Section of the Physics Division.
- Develop, test and implement improvements for existing and planned x-ray diagnostics and implement techniques and sources for calibration measurements.
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at the NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of x-ray diagnostics.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Coordinate with engineers, technicians and people from different groups to plan and execute experimental campaigns for the HED and/or ICF programs
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, related field or discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, high energy density physics, x-ray instrumentation, applied physics, plasma diagnostics, x-ray spectroscopy or similar area.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Experience with electron optics and/or pulsed electronics
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulations
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Iii, University of Carlifornia, United States, 3 months ago
Requisition Number: 32260 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT III Working Title: Finance and Administrative Coordinator Salary: $24.00 - $34.38 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 2155-INST OF ENVIRONM...
Uc Research Initiatives Intern (4919), University of California Office of the President, United States, about 2 months ago
Requisition Number 20200071 Working Title UC Research Initiatives Intern (4919) Appointment Type Staff - Casual Restricted Personnel Program PSS-Uncovered Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm P...
Post Doctorate Fellow, Psychology, Emeryville, Alliant International University, United States, about 13 hours ago
About Alliant International University: Alliant International University's mission is to provide students with the highest quality of education through innovation in scholarship, applied training ...
Child Development Center Assistant, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 1 month ago
Requisition Number: 32368 Job Title: CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER ASSISTANT Working Title: Child Development Assistant Salary: $17.32 - $19.73 hourly Job Type: Limited Department Name: 0875-PSYCHOLOGY...