Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- Great Basin Institute & the US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, NV
- Job Category
- Full time Positions
- $18.00 per hour plus benefits
- Last Date to Apply
- Description: The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), is recruiting a Visitor Services Specialist at Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge (Nye County, NV). The specialist will work collaboratively with Refuge staff to manage the Visitor Center and the Visitor Services volunteer program as well as implement a variety of visitor service programs. Visitor service programs will focus mainly on interpretation, environmental education and volunteer management. Job duties will include, but are not limited to: • Supervising and coordinating the Visitor Services’ volunteer program through recruitment, training, project coordination, engagement, recognition, and other tasks as needed; • Coordinating day-to-day Visitor Center operations and regularly staffing its information desk; • Performing outreach, organizing outreach events, and developing and conducting special events; • Providing informal and roving interpretation on Refuge trails; • Developing and presenting a variety of formal interpretive and recreational programs; • Developing interpretive materials such as brochures, pamphlets, exhibits, website updates, and signs; • Developing and presenting environmental education programs; • Preparing and conducting teacher training and orientation programs; • Performing light custodial maintenance to maintain clean and safe visitor facilities. Compensation: • Rate of pay: $18.00 per hour • Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you • Housing may be available for rent in a shared bunkhouse. Timeline: • May 2021 for a 1-year duration; potential for extension pending available funding and positive performance review • Full time, 40 hours per week; weekend hours will be required • Minimal overtime may be required for events and/or special projects Location: Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, one of the first wetlands in the United States to be designated a Ramsar Wetland of International Importance, comprises over 23,000 acres of spring-fed wetlands and alkaline desert in the Mojave Desert of Southern Nevada near Death Valley National Park. The Refuge was established in 1984 to protect threatened and endangered species and more than two dozen endemic plant and animal species. The Refuge also provides habitat for over 100 species of plants and animals that are considered sensitive, or are state protected or priority species. The Research Associate must provide his/her own reliable transportation for non-work-related trips since the closest personal amenities and grocery stores are located approximately 30 miles from the Refuge in Pahrump, Nevada. The city of Las Vegas is located approximately 90 miles southeast of the Refuge. In addition to the scenic desert beauty at the Refuge, there are several other recreation and natural setting opportunities to explore close by. Death Valley National Park, Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree National Park, Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Lake Mead National Recreation Area and more are within a few hours driving distance and afford a variety of outdoor activities ranging from hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing to fishing, boating and skiing/snowboarding.
- Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree in education or related coursework and commensurate field experience; • Experience recruiting, training and/or managing volunteers (required); • Experience in Visitor Center operations (required) with leadership experience preferred; • Experience conducting interpretation, highly desirable; • Experience living or working in, and/or knowledge of the Mojave Desert (preferable) or desert ecosystems and natural/cultural resources, desirable; • Experience developing and implementing environmental education and outreach programs and curricula; • Experience creating interpretive materials (e.g.: pamphlets, posters) or displays; • Knowledge of and/or experience developing multi-media and virtual programs, desirable; • Motivated, self-starter who is detail oriented and capable of working with little direct supervision; • Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities; • Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums; • Ability to speak Spanish conversationally, desirable but not required; • Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments; and • Possess valid, clean, state-issued driver’s license.
- Contact Person
- Alissa Gardner
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Aquarium Technician, University of California, United States, about 20 hours ago
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 06/17/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Special Selection Applicants: Ap...
Animal Technician, University of California, United States, about 21 hours ago
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 6/23/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Special Selection Applicants: App...
Biology Section Fiscal Officer, University of California, United States, 24 days ago
The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have impacted UC San Diego Campus hiring. UCSD Campus will continue to recruit for essential positions and we ask for your understanding and patience with our ...
Sr. Building Maintenance Worker, University of California, United States, 4 days ago
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 06/10/2021 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Special Selection Applicants: ...
Principal Contract & Grant Officer, University of California, United States, about 21 hours ago
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 06/25/21 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor. Special Selection Applicants: Ap...
Biosafety Specialist, The California State University, United States, 16 days ago
Campus: San Diego Job ID: 501006 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 7, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: http...