Theatre and Dance
The Department of Theatre & Dance at the University of Kansas invites applications for a Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre & Dance (https://theatredance.ku.edu/) in the area of Contemporary/Modern Dance Technique, to begin as early as August 18, 2020. This appointment is limited term for two years, with the possibility to apply for a third year, based on need and availability of funding. This is a full-time visiting assistant professor position with a 2:2 teaching load as well as choreographic obligations (see below). Applicants are expected to have an MFA or PhD in Dance or an allied field, and should be able to teach a selection of required and elective courses in areas such as Contemporary/Modern Dance (all levels), Jazz Dance, African Dance, or Musical Theatre Dance. The successful candidate will be an accomplished and active artist who maintains a creative practice in public dance performance. The successful candidate will also demonstrate a commitment to training students and engaging with current developments in dance pedagogy. The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include 40% research, 40% teaching, 20% service.
Teaching Responsibilities, 40%
• Teach four courses per academic year in the Department of Theatre and Dance.
• Choreograph for the University Dance Company each semester.
• Expected to take teaching responsibilities seriously and to strive for excellence in the classroom. Prepare for and attend all class meetings. In case of absence, the VAP must arrange for a substitute to teach class. Classes should not be canceled.
• Develop assignments, administer tests, evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign grades.
• Hold regular office hours for students involved in classes taught. A minimum of three posted office hours each week is required. These office hours should be divided over at least two and preferable three different days. The VAP should be available for reasonable appointments if a student cannot meet during scheduled office hours.
• Adhere to departmental, college and university policies.
• Treat students with courtesy and with respect for their rights, including, but not limited to, academic freedom and those rights as outlined in the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities.
Research Responsibilities, 40%
• Conduct research that engages the applicant’s approach as a practitioner and/or scholar. This must result in performances, choreographic presentations, scholarly presentations, or publications.
• Visiting faculty members are expected and encouraged to remain current in the research and scholarly literature in their field. The Department of Theatre and Dance is committed to ensuring that visiting faculty have the opportunity to achieve this goal. Evidence of such currency is found in an active and productive research program, including choreographic presentations, scholarly publications, presentations at research conferences, and up-to-date course syllabi.
Service Responsibilities, 20%
• Participate in appropriate professional activities, such as serving on committees, panels, co-organizing workshops/conferences, and refereeing or reviewing manuscripts for research journals.
• Visiting faculty members must share in the work of the department, which includes attending departmental meetings and participating in departmental committees.
• Visiting faculty members must treat colleagues with courtesy and with respect for their rights, including, but not limited to, academic freedom.
All faculty members are expected to act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows respect toward students, staff, and colleagues. Faculty members are expected to meet satisfactory standards of performance in all three areas of responsibility and to carry out those responsibilities in accordance with the Faculty Code of Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (a) descriptions of teaching philosophy in letter of application, (b) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in curriculum vitae and, (c) information provided from professional references:
1. MFA or PhD in Dance or an allied field, with significant experience in one or more areas of dance by the start date of the appointment.
2. Ability to create and/or stage dances for concert presentation; and
3. Demonstrated commitment to teaching courses a liberal arts setting.
Contact Information to Applicants
Dr. James Moreno
Dance Studies Coordinator
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application package includes a description of teaching philosophy in letter of application; record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in curriculum vitae; and information provided from professional references.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following questions at the time of application. Each response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Conditions of Employment
University of Kansas - Lawrence
Limited Term End Date
Advertised Salary Range
Commensurate with experience
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Assistant/Associate Professor Of , Fort Hays State University, United States, 35 minutes ago
Department Health & Human Performance Job Posting Title Assistant/Associate Professor of HHP-Pedagogy/Physical Education Teacher Education Job Description Position Description: Fort Hays State Uni...
Assistant Professor Of Hhp Of Health And Human Performance (Health Science/Health Promotion), Fort Hays State University, United States, 35 minutes ago
Department Health & Human Performance Job Posting Title Assistant Professor of HHP -of Health and Human Performance (Health Science/Health Promotion) Job Description Position Description: Fort Hay...
Business Analyst, Grantham University, United States, 1 day ago
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Lead and facilitate the design, development, and implementation of robust dashboards and visualizations to drive key business decisions and operational excellence. Mainta...
Assistant Professor Of Music (Upper Strings/Orchestra) Department Of Music And Theatre, Tenure Track Position, Fort Hays State University, United States, 36 minutes ago
Department Music & Theatre Job Posting Title Assistant Professor of Music (Upper Strings/Orchestra) Department of Music and Theatre, Tenure-Track Position Job Description Assistant Professor of Mu...
Custodian Academic Buildings, Fort Hays State University, United States, 20 days ago
Department Academic Custodial PM Job Posting Title Custodian - Academic Buildings Job Description Position Description: Custodian, Fort Hays State University, Academic Buildings, full-time positi...
Assistant Professor A&S Earth And Environmental Sciences, American Geophysical Union, United States, 6 days ago
The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor in environmental sustainability and ...