University of Oklahoma Norman Campus: College of Arts and Sciences: Philosophy
Nov 1, 2019
The Department of Philosophy invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position or early associate professor position with tenure, beginning fall 2020.
We seek an assistant (tenure-track) or early associate (tenured) professor specializing in virtue theory, broadly conceived. Area of competence is open.
Our department has a well-established interest and track record in virtue theory, with faculty and graduate students working in both virtue ethics and virtue epistemology, and in both western and Chinese traditions. OU is also home to the Institute of for the Study of Human Flourishing, an interdisciplinary research and outreach unit directed by Dr. Nancy Snow. The successful candidate will contribute both to the Philosophy Department and to the Institute, in ways that will be negotiated with the successful candidate. The teaching load will not exceed 2 courses per semester, but it may be less if the candidate is devoting a significant part of their effort to the work of the Institute.
The successful candidate will be a central member of a vibrant intellectual community that prizes the ability to converse across philosophical traditions and sub-disciplines and values interdisciplinary engagement. We are especially interested in applications from qualified candidates who are committed to practicing philosophy in an inclusive and cooperative mode, while achieving rigor and excellence in their research and teaching. For more information about our department and the position, please see http://www.ou.edu/cas/philosophy/events/faculty-search .
- The candidate must be ABD in philosophy or a closely related discipline at the time of application, with evidence that the PhD will have been defended prior to the fall 2020 start date. (If you do not already have your PhD in hand, please specifically discuss how you meet this qualification in your letter of interest. Describe how much of your dissertation is already complete, and explain your plan for completion by August 15, 2020 deadline.)
- A record of research in virtue theory.
Preferred qualifications and desiderata
We prefer candidates with the following qualifications:
- demonstrated excellence of research in virtue theory
- an ability to complement the existing strengths of the department and Institute
- having served as the instructor of record in courses at the university level
- demonstrated commitment to pedagogical approaches that foster the success of students from diverse backgrounds and levels of preparation
- The department welcomes applicants with experience and interest in teaching traditions not yet covered by our faculty (e.g., Africana philosophy, Islamic philosophy, Latino/-a/-x philosophy, or South Asian philosophy) and encourages applicants with relevant experience and interest to describe any contributions they could make to this area.
- The department has teaching needs in business ethics, metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of science. We encourage applicants with relevant experience and interest to describe any contributions they could make to these areas.
All applicants should submit their materials (specified below) at https://apply.interfolio.com/70432 via online at Interfolio/ByCommittee. Review of applications will begin November 25, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Please begin your application as soon as possible in order for our system to generate letter requests to your recommendation writers.
All candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and writing sample. **We request that, if possible, candidates upload an anonymized version of their writing sample(s), with the candidate’s name and affiliation removed.** If the paper has been published, it is fine to submit an anonymized penultimate draft.
Three letters of recommendation will be required for all candidates. During the application process you will be prompted for the contact information for references. Each letter writer will receive an e-mail with instructions about how to upload the letter.
If you have questions, please contact the search committee chair, Professor Amy Olberding at email@example.com .
Geophysics Professor, American Geophysical Union, United States, 2 months ago
Geophysics Professor Location: Norman, Ok. Open Date: Aug 23, 2019 Description The School of Geosciences at the University of Oklahoma (OU) invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured posit...