Conducts daily rounds to monitor health and provide surgical support and medical treatment for multiple species of laboratory animals. Documents and communicates findings about animal health. Prepares animals for surgery and monitors anesthesia during surgery. Collects biological samples from animals and administer treatments under the supervision of veterinary staff. Performs weekend rounds to triage health issues in multiple species. Conducts work according to departmental SOPs, IACUC policies, and the regulations of the Animal Welfare Act and the Public Health Service.
Rotational work on weekends and holidays is required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently conducts daily rounds (including weekends) and examines, evaluates, treats, and documents health issues and their related service charges in research animals.
- Prepares animals for surgery, including calculating and administering doses of drugs, anesthetizing, intubating, preparing and draping, and monitoring vital signs.
- Monitors and documents the psychological well-being of animals and provides environmental enrichment.
- Prepares, maintains and cleans surgical suite and anesthesia equipment in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Under the direction of the Training Coordinator, provides hands-on training to other veterinary and husbandry technicians and to research staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- LVT, associate degree and two years of experience plus LAT.
- Ability to handle animals.
- Proficiency in veterinary techniques, including animal anesthesia, surgical preparation, blood collection, and dosing.
- Ability to comprehend written and spoken English terms used in a biomedical research environment.
- Ability to comprehend and follow SOPs and written instructions from veterinary, supervisory, and research staff.
- Ability to communicate medical issues in written animal medical records, verbally, and via email.
- Conscientious attitude and concern for quality and animal welfare.
- Associate degree in veterinary or animal science.
- LVT (licensed veterinary technician).
$16.24 - $27.63 / Hourly
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University’s policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two “Quick Apply” options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the “Quick Apply” page by clicking “Next” at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a Linkedin feature, which allows you to apply by using your Linkedin profile to populate some of the job application fields.
Research Intern Krueger Lab, Washington State University, United States, about 20 hours ago
Title: 1457-YN - Research Intern Business Title: Research Intern-Krueger Lab Additional Titles: Location: INNOVATE WASHINGTON BUILDING Employee Type: Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term) Job Famil...
Graphic Designer, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Graphic Designer Posting Number 2022074CP Position Information Classification Title Graphic Designer Classification Code 198F RCW Exemption Criteria N...
Senior University Budget Financial Analyst, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Title Senior University Budget Financial Analyst Posting Number 2022092EP Position Information Classification Title Sr Budget Financial Analyst Working Tit...
It Business Analyst Journey, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title IT Business Analyst - Journey Posting Number 2022072CP Position Information Classification Title IT Business Analyst - Journey Classification Code 483...
Assistant Professor Computer Science, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Assistant Professor - Computer Science Posting Number 2022043FP Position Information Classification Title Assistant Professor Classification Code 8003...
Program Coordinator School Of Education, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Program Coordinator - School of Education Posting Number 2022077CP Position Information Classification Title Program Coordinator Classification Code 1...