Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
Internal Number: 63462BR
Reporting to the Executive Director of PBHA, the Vehicle and Building Operations Technician is the sole staff member who ensures that the PBHA van fleet is maintained and safely operated. The position trains and supports student and staff van drivers including crisis and accident response, oversees regular vehicle maintenance and repairs, manages all relationships with outside vendors related to the van fleet including vehicle purchases, monitors van usage and schedules, and develops vehicle systems, policies and strategy. The position also plays a key support role for building maintenance before, during and after PBHA events and serves as a liaison for program space use with the rest of the building operations team.
Coaching, Training and Driver Accountability:
- Train eligible students and staff how to operate PBHA vans and van policies and monitor corresponding van certification
- Coach and mentor the PBHA Vehicles and Spaces student officer
- Develop policies and procedures consistent with updated trends in the field
- Ensure policies and procedures are being followed by drivers & create accountability systems
Fleet Management and Safety:
- Maintain vehicles on an annual schedule as well as address and repair major and minor damage in a timely manner
- Coordinate with Harvard Risk Strategies and Insurance to ensure updated driver coverage and insurance reporing
- Act as primary contact and liaison to all vendors to the PBHA vans in relation to their upkeep.
- Organize logistics around driver & student safety, van towing and repair work in the case of an accident
- Keep records of all maintenance and repair work as well as accident reports
- Monitor and establish secure van key access
- Monitor and organize the buying/selling/ leasing/ depreciation of Vans in accordance with PBHA policy
- Manage relationship with Harvard parking office regarding garage use and access
- Ensure proper allocation and scheduling of van resources with programs and drivers
- Coordinates external transportation services as needed including van and bus rentals
- Remain on call for any urgent van needs or crisis response
Building Maintenance Support:
- Support in monitoring building traffic and safety policies and procedures during coverage hours
- Support in setup/ breakdown and resetting of rooms after use during coverage hours
Special Projects and Events
- Support PBHA in executing events, specifically with space management & set up
- Support projects and initiatives as needed and assigned
High School Diploma; either higher education or work experience relating managing systems and supporting young adults
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Preferred Experience/ Attributes
- You have a Customer Service Orientation You understand the critical need to keep the ultimate goals of staff and student success in mind while performing your day-to-day work, going out of your way to meet and anticipate future needs.
- You Reinforce our Culture You reflect, reinforce, and promote our culture of trust and personal integrity. You maintain confidence, admit mistakes, represent yourself honestly, and build trust with your team. You also positively represent the department across the university and externally.
- You have the Self Confidence to Execute You're not intimidated by complex undertakings, and believe in your ability to succeed. You take initiative to address problems you become aware of, are willing to make mistakes, take responsibility, and learn.
- You are Approachable You promote an atmosphere where people feel comfortable sharing their feedback, and you follow up appropriately, whether that means addressing the root issue, coaching the people involved, or when necessary, just listening.
- You have Consultative Skills You frame and break down challenges by listening to those directly affected, creative and probing questions, identify root causes, and provide advice or specific recommendations for improvement.
- You Understand Vehicles You have a basic understanding of vehicle mechanics, the risks associated with operating a vehicle, and can confidently bring this knowledge and experience to ensuring PBHA's fleet remains operational and that drivers are trained and supported as needed.
- You are a Coach and Mentor You demonstrate a sincere interest in the well-being of others and provide developmental feedback and training. You set the tone for non-defensive behavior in the face of constructive feedback, and you have knowledge of effective coaching and training techniques and models.
- You have Functionally Related Experience & Abilities
- You have at least 2 years of building maintenance experience and you're able to lift 75 pounds
Certificates and Licenses
Driver's License required.
Must be able to climb stairs
Must able to lift 75 pounds
This position performs all duties inperson.
Office setting with trips to the garage where the vans are stored.
BenefitsWe invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.
Connections working at Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Tenured Professor In Theoretical Quantum Science, Harvard University, United States, 1 day ago
Details Title Tenured Professor in Theoretical Quantum Science School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard Quan...
Assistant Coach, Women's Soccer, Brandeis University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Brandeis University is delighted to announce a career opportunity as the Assistant Coach – Women’s Soccer in the Athletics Department. At Brandeis, we offer a competitive benefits and compensation...
Preceptor In Expository Writing, Harvard University, United States, 1 day ago
Details Title Preceptor in Expository Writing School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Harvard College Writing Program Position Description The Harvard College Writing Program at Harva...
Tenure Track Professor In Computer Science, Harvard University, United States, 1 day ago
Details Title Tenure-Track Professor in Computer Science School Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department/Area Computer Science Position Description The Harvard...
Assistant Professor Of Astronomy, Harvard University, United States, about 24 hours ago
Details Title Assistant Professor of Astronomy School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Astronomy Position Description The Department of Astronomy seeks to appoint a tenure-track profes...
Lecturer On Social Studies , Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, United States, 1 day ago
Lecturer on Social Studies Faculty of Arts and Sciences Committee on Degrees in Social Studies Position Description: The Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, an interdisciplinary honors progra...