Apply now Job no:508039
Work type:On-Campus Undergraduate
Pay Grade/Pay Range: $7.25/hour
Department/Organization: 820623 - UREC Facility Operations
Normal Work Schedule: Must be available to work flexible schedule, to include some early mornings, evenings, weekends, and/or holiday hours as needed.
Note to Applicants: To be considered, applicants MUST include the following items with online application:
• Hours of Availability for Summer/Fall 2019
Application Deadline is Friday, February 1 at 5:00pm. Selected candidates will be invited to interview for open positions February 25-March 8; applicants must be available to interview during this time frame to be considered.
Anticipated start date for this is April 2019; candidates selected for hire must be available to attend training starting during this month.
Job Summary: UREC Facility Operations Associates provide administrative and customer service support for all University Recreation facilities as part of the Facility Operations team. Responsibilities include providing excellent customer service, monitoring weight room/cardio areas, surveying program areas for patron safety, patron check-in, equipment checkout, and problem solving.
This position serves as the first contact for patrons at all UREC facilities. Specific responsibilities include utilizing University Recreation software for member check-in and membership confirmation, providing excellent customer service, problem solving, and monitoring program areas for patron safety. This position also performs cleaning duties throughout their shift to ensure a healthy and safe facility environment, as well as other duties as assigned.
• Provide excellent customer service to all users
• Provide a safe, healthy environment for users of University Recreation facilities and programs
• Respond to patron issues, complaints, and inquiries and initiate action for resolution
• Enforce all University Recreation policies and procedures
• Actively participate in all meetings and in-service training sessions
• Perform cleaning and maintenance tasks during shift
• Competently act in designated role in Emergency Action Plan
• Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Must be enrolled and continuing as a full-time or part-time undergraduate student at The University of Alabama for the 2019-2020 academic year
• Current American Red Cross certification in CPR/First Aid (Infant, Child, and Adult); OR, ability obtain certification prior to first scheduled shift (course is offered upon hire)
• Must be available to work at least 10 hours per week
• Must be able to work flexible hours, to include some early mornings, nights, weekends and/or holidays hours as needed
• Must be available to work during UA breaks (Fall Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, etc.)
Application Deadline is Friday, February 1 at 5:00pm. Selected candidates will be invited to interview for open positions February 25-March 8; applicants must be available to interview during this time frame to be considered. Anticipated start date for this is April 2019; candidates selected for hire must be available to attend training starting during this month.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Self-motivation and ability to work cooperatively as part of a team
• Willingness to learn and accept direction/feedback from peers and supervisors
• An understanding of facility characteristics, rules, policies, and procedures Leadership and public relations skills
• Decision-making skills
About UREC: University Recreation employs over 500 students each year in customer service, programming, and operational support positions across all UREC facilities, including the Student Recreation Center, R.E.Witt Student Activity Center, Outdoor Pool Complex and Aquatic Center. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to work in a dynamic, fun and rewarding environment where students gain valuable training, leadership experience, and workplace skills that will that will serve them well in future employment opportunities.
• Previous experience in a fitness facility environment preferred
• Major in Operations Management, Kinesiology, Health Exercise Science, or related field of study preferred
• Applicants available to work during Summer Break 2019 strongly preferred
Enrollment Requirements: Applicants must meet enrollment requirements to be eligible for on-campus student employment. Applicants must be enrolled in a UA degree program and meet minimum credit hour requirements during the academic year: Undergraduate Students must be registered for at least 6 credit hours during fall/spring semesters; Graduate Students must be registered for at least 4.5 credit hours during fall/spring semesters; International Students must be registered full-time (Undergraduate = 12 credit hours, Graduate = 9 credit hours) during fall/spring semesters. Enrollment requirements must be maintained for the duration of on-campus employment. Individual hiring departments and programs may also have additional eligibility requirements for employment.
Background Investigation Statement: Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and information obtained from social media and other internet sources. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags before a hiring decision is made.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment or volunteer status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, genetic or family medical history information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" Poster
Advertised:08 Jan 2019 Central Standard Time
Applications close:01 Feb 2019 Central Standard Time