The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is the primary department charged with creating a safe and secure environment at Princeton University . DPS operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is comprised of 117 staff members. The department consists of professional university police, non-sworn security officers, dispatchers and administrators dedicated to providing best-in-class service to the community. DPS was awarded Law Enforcement Accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) in July 2015. CALEA serves as the “International Gold Standard for Public Safety Agencies” and oversees a rigorous accreditation process.
DPS sworn University Police Officers have the authority of commissioned police officers with full power of arrest deriving their law enforcement authority from New Jersey statutes (Title 18A, Sections 6-4.2 and 6-4.5) and the Trustees of Princeton University. Title 18A, Section 6-4.5 provides that sworn University Police Officers “shall possess all the powers of policemen and constables in criminal cases and offenses against the law anywhere in the State of New Jersey [including the powers of arrest], pursuant to any limitations as may be imposed by the governing body of the institution which appointed and commissioned the person.”
University Police Officers are required to complete the same police academies and annual training as their municipal counterparts. This training has been approved and authorized by the State of New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice Police Training Commission. Our University police officers who are unarmed on a daily basis have access to a rifle in two limited situations, an active shooter incident or when there is someone brandishing a firearm on campus. All police officers have qualified with a firearm while at the police academy and are required to attend mandatory in-service firearms training throughout the year to enable them to perform more efficiently and more safely. DPS has 39 sworn officers including the director of operations, the patrol captain, 3 lieutenants, 8 sergeants, 6 corporals, 2 detectives, and 18 University police officers.
To read the Princeton University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report click here .
As part of an assigned team, University Police Officers provide campus safety, security, and law enforcement services to the University community. The individual provides a wide range of services, including both traditional and non-traditional police services. Officers are required to participate in crime prevention and community-oriented public safety programming. The successful candidate must project a positive image. Individuals enforce University regulations, local ordinances, and state laws. The individual is a first responder to incidents, accidents, and other emergency situations and is responsible for conducting initial and follow-up investigations into significant and criminal incidents. The individual will work under the direction of a sergeant.
The Department of Public Safety is a 24/7, 365 day operation. The successful candidate must be able to work ALL shifts, including weekends, holidays, and overtime shifts, as required. Overtime is mandatory.
This is an entry level, sworn University Police Officer position.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have current New Jersey Police Officer Certification; approval of New Jersey Training Commission (NJPTC) for police commission or be a Special Officer Class II (SLEO II).
- Officer must demonstrate proficiency with assigned firearms and qualify per Attorney General (AG) guidelines and annually thereafter per policy.
- Officer must maintain ability to operate assigned firearms under all applicable law and University Policy.
- Current valid vehicle operator's license
- Candidate must successfully complete various fitness for duty assessments, including:
- online testing with Wonderlic
- a comprehensive background investigation
- a psychological evaluation
- a post offer, pre-employment (POPES) medical examination
- previous Department and/or firearms instructor must certify officer has qualified with firearm in the last year
- Must be able to meet Post Offer Pre-Employment Screening (POPES) requirements and found capable of performing the essential functions and physical requirements of the position, both before commencing employment and any time required thereafter under University policy.
- Experience: At least two years of work and/or life experience directly relating to a minimum of two of the following areas:
- Community service/involvement
- Interviewing, public speaking, and conflict resolution skills
- Problem solving, using creative method to resolve issues
- Multi-cultural work and life experiences
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures and loud noises.
- Work environment involves moderate exposure to hazards and physical risks to personal safety
- Must be physically fit and able to defend one's self from attack or physical assault.
- Must have 20-20 or 20-30 vision either naturally or with corrective lenses.
- Must be able to wear required uniform including, but not limited to a protective vest.
- This position requires providing evidence of medical immunity to certain diseases that may pose risk to animals within labs/vivarium and is meant to ensure the safety of the employee, co-workers and animals. All testing information is treated in a confidential manner by University Health Services and is part of the animal worker surveillance program medical protocols.
- This is a unionized position within the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP).
- Per the FOP contract the starting salary for an officer with their PTC is $55,000/year.
- Per the FOP contract this position has a 12 month probationary period.
- Associate or Bachelor's degree
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
FOP-Fraternal Order of Police
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy .
Go to our careers site.
Dispatcher 911, Rutgers University, United States, 18 days ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Dispatcher 911 Job Category AFSCME 1761 (COLT) Department IPO-Rutgers Police-New Bruns. Overview Rutgers, The State University of Ne...
Director Of Student Legal Services: Ix, Rutgers University, United States, 4 days ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Director of Student Legal Services: IX Job Category Staff & Executive - Administrative & Support Department SA-Student Legal Service...
Staff Nurse Per Diem, Rutgers University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Staff Nurse - Per Diem Job Category Staff & Executive - Healthcare - Nursing Department UBHC-Acute-Nursing Admin Overview Rutgers Un...
Assistant Nurse Manager (Per Diem), Rutgers University, United States, 11 days ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Assistant Nurse Manager (Per Diem) Job Category Staff & Executive - Medical (Clinical) - Nursing Department UBHC-Acute Treatment-PIS...
Uchc Licensed Practical Nurse Njsp, Rutgers University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title UCHC Licensed Practical Nurse NJSP Job Category Staff & Executive - Medical (Clinical) - Nursing Department UCHC-Ph-New Jersey State...
Uchc Department Nurse Manager Nsp, Rutgers University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title UCHC Department Nurse Manager NSP Job Category Staff & Executive - Medical (Clinical) - Nursing Department UCHC-Ph-Northern State Pr...