The Undergraduate Teaching Lab Manager will become part of ABE's world leading laboratory based instructional team as we scale to meet increasing enrollment. This position will develop and administer project and laboratory based instruction, support and aid faculty who are developing and delivering laboratory based teaching and maintain personal excellence in educational techniques, technologies and industrial practice.
- Student mentoring as well as agricultural/biological and engineering outreach
- Monitoring application of all experimental protocols and designs to ensure the satisfactory operation of the experiments in the teaching laboratory
- Modifying and improving experiments in consultation with relevant professor(s) and teaching assistants
- Devising alternatives to meet the usual uncertainties and crises occasionally encountered in laboratory teaching including spoiled or incorrectly prepared reagents, instrument failures and shipment delays
- Working with current Safety Officer to monitor safety practices for ABE
- Supervising laboratory responses regarding compliance with safety regulations and preparation for safety audits
- Assessing and correcting safety problems and violations
- Assisting with obtaining and maintaining laboratory certification and training in safe and appropriate use of equipment
- Working with the faculty and teaching assistants to prepare laboratories for instruction and collaborating with faculty on development of laboratory assignments
- Maintaining and improving personal understanding of ABE and keeping apprised of pedagogical advances in teaching of the field through independent reading as well as attendance at on- and off-campus short courses and national meetings
- Advising faculty on relevant new developments in instructional methods that would be relevant to the enhancement of departmental laboratory teaching portfolios
- Senior design class development and project supervision
- Assisting with public relations including lab tours
- Leading, coordinating and providing leadership and oversight for departmental faculty, staff, and undergraduate student organizations and their associated on and off-campus outreach projects
- Bachelor's in Engineering,Technology or similar field
- 2 years of experience managing or working in an engineering, science, or technology-related field
- Technical skills and abilities to run ABE Labs
- Understanding of laboratory equipment, such as autoclaves, centrifuges, pipettes, balances, etc., used in ABE teaching labs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with the ability to work with people of various backgrounds
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing learning environments
- Ability to work with undergraduate and graduate students and faculty to educate and train them on the operation and capabilities of biological, electronic, and mechanical equipment, computers, and/or computer software as they apply to their design projects
- Ability to take the initiative to solve problems, assume responsibility, establish and maintain quality standards
- Master's degree
- Biological Engineering or related area experience
- Experience teaching, including experience in preparing and delivering educational materials
- Experience with experiential learning
- Supervisory experience
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Office Coordinator Chancellor's Office, Ivy Tech Community College, United States, 14 days ago
Provide administrative support to the Chancellor and Assistant Director of Administration. Coordinate and supervise high-profile events, receptions and meetings sponsored by the Chancellor's Offic...