TUTOR - MATH - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in an academic or occupational area study to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses. Tutors also work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; tutor students in math and writing labs; and provide online tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis on a wide range of subjects in an academic or occupational area.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of course materials and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies, including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build better study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at a college’s Tutoring/Learning Resource/ Academic Support Center, based on students' requests for tutoring in a specific subject area, course, or discipline.
- Assists the tutee in problem-solving and applying critical thinking techniques in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors, and academic advisors regarding academic progress of individual students
- Maintains records on tutoring activities. Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in higher in Mathematics or a related field of study, OR similar technical certifications and training
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
Executive Director, Chicago Center For Teaching And Learning, The University of Chicago, United States, 20 days ago
Department College Chicago Center for Teaching About the Department The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Its commitment to fre...
Data Analyst, The College, The University of Chicago, United States, 7 days ago
Department College The College About the Department The Office of the College Dean, located in Harper Memorial Library, oversees the academic and operational administration of the College, includi...
Freshman Success Coach, The University of Chicago, United States, 26 days ago
Department Crown Network For College Success About the Department The Network for College Success (NCS), at the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice, ensures college readiness ...
Writing Specialist, 9.5 Month, The University of Chicago, United States, 14 days ago
Department College Writing Program About the Department The Writing Program serves academic and professional constituencies across the University by providing academic and professional writing res...
Data Analyst, Bip, The University of Chicago, United States, 8 days ago
Department Harris School Student and Temporary Employees About the Department Why policy? For a better world. Why Harris Public Policy? Because when it comes to better policymaking, evidence matte...
Research Manager, The University of Chicago, United States, 21 days ago
Department UL Urban Crime Lab Research Managers About the Department Who We Are In cities across the country, people face high rates of gun violence, under-resourced schools, and social harms a...