Tele Infrastructure Engineer
The position of Telecommunications Infrastructure Engineer for the University Technology Office’s Network Engineering Design team is an exciting opportunity to design, budget and manage the installation of structured cabling systems, and voice- data network expansion throughout the ASU system. The position will act as a project manager interacting with many colleges, departments, outside architects, consultants and general contractors ensuring UTO standards are installed per specifications. This position will assist ASU with the design and implementation of much needed fiber and copper infrastructure required to support ASU’s Next Generation Network, IOT, 5G cellular and ASU’s Smart Campus and Smart City initiatives.
As with everyone in the UTO family, culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role.
Network Infrastructure Expansn
UNIV TECHNOLOGY OFFICE
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$78,624 - $85,330 per year; DOE
- Assists in leading, training, and coordinating the work of assigned personnel and other department personnel.
- Manages multiple projects of various sizes and complexity, ensuring the SCS design elements meet the end-user needs, are completed within the allotted timeframe and budget restrictions, and comply with UTO guidelines and all applicable codes.
- Coordinates contracts with outside consultants, vendors, and contractors. Reviews and ensures that SCS designs comply with existing codes and applicable University, state, and local agency requirements.
- Reviews and reports on construction progress regarding SCS installation. Receives requests from end-users and/or facilities representatives for SCS scope of services and develops requests to determine feasibility, cost, and equipment needs.
- Develops, plans, and coordinates with administrative and other technical personnel the installation, implementation, certification, operation, and maintenance of complex hardware, software, and SCS elements interfacing to the telecommunication networks.
- Determines and initiates appropriate action to provide problem and dispute resolution and resolution of insurance claims in a timely fashion.
- Provides cost estimating and value engineering for SCS capital project requests.
- Participates in developing long-range master facility planning to identify future needed telecommunication utilities, space, and budgetary requirements, and scheduling.
- Develops and writes procedures for installing, using, or troubleshooting telecommunications infrastructure to track, project, or report structured cabling systems reliability, capacity, or utilization.
- Acts as a subject-matter expert, providing guidance and consulting services in network infrastructure technologies to all business functions to design and implement networking solutions.
- Communicates with vendors to gather information about products, alter them to future needs, resolve problems, or address system maintenance issues. Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Takes responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms -- collaborating across our teams as well as participating in UTO/ASU events and programs.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, OR, a related field and five (5) years of professional design and construction administration experience (i.e. telecommunications infrastructure design, implementation, operation or maintenance) which includes three (3) years of project management experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience with voice, data infrastructure technology and equipment.
- Experience with Structured Cabling Systems (SCS) design, costing, and scheduling.
- Ability to review, interpret, evaluate, and accurately relate SCS needs of floorplans regarding voice, data and (SCS).
- Knowledge and best practice experience with cabling standards, including NEC, BICSI, IEEE, and current applicable ANSI, EIA/TIA Standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Building Prints, Termination Hardware Design, and Fiber Optic Hardware Design.
- Experience with establishing building infrastructure budgets, requirements, and reviewing existing construction budgets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction guidelines (e.g., TCS guidelines) relative to maintaining, distributing, and enforcing with architects, contractors, facility management, and end users.
- Skill in written and verbal communications including understanding end-user needs and the ability to communicate technical requirements to meet those needs.
- Skill in managing multiple projects simultaneously and in coordinating the work of a team to ensure compliance with the project completion.
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans and specifications and assessing them with construction in progress.
- Skill in engineering and mathematical calculations and computer applications.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- RCDD preferred
- Working knowledge of the following applications; AutoCAD, REVIT, BIM, Fluke Linkware, SharePoint, PlanView, ServiceNow, Bluebeam, Microsoft Suite including but not limited to Outlook, Project, Word, Excel.
- Experience in effectively communicating relevant project information in a professional manner to the business and technical personnel.
- Knowledge of available project management applications and associated project specific technology requirements.
- Experience in developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with multiple stakeholders within project scope.
- Experience in reviewing and ensuring that project specifications comply with existing codes and applicable University, state and local requirements.
- Knowledge of project purpose and scope in decision making and risk assessment, understanding impact on outcomes/success.
- Ability to define tasks, responsibilities and outcomes, document activities and track progress.
- Experience in developing written and verbal progress reports.
- Knowledge of CommScope SYSTIMAX solutions.
- Ability to model empathy, compassion and emotional intelligence.
- Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Ability to help foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive.
- Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment.
- Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Communicate to perform essential functions
The University Technology Office (UTO) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives.
Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Intermediate Network/Telecom Analyst, University of Oklahoma, United States, about 17 hours ago
Intermediate Network/Telecom Analyst - Job Number: 214230 Organization : Information Technology Job Location : Oklahoma-Oklahoma City-Health Sciences Center Schedule : Full-time Work Schedule: Mon...
It Senior/Specialist Network & Telecommunications, Washington State University, Worldwide, 1 day ago
Title: 484NT-NN - IT Network and Telecommunications - Senior/Specialist Business Title: IT Senior/Specialist Network & Telecommunications Location: Employee Type: Classified Job Family: Civil Serv...
Instructional Design And Technology Coordinator, Washington State University, Worldwide, 26 days ago
Title: 1296-YN - Instructional Design Coordinator Business Title: Instructional Design and Technology Coordinator Location: Employee Type: Admin. Professional Job Family: Administrative Profession...
Researcher In Cooperative Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vicomtech, Spain, 22 days ago
We are looking for a candidate with advanced knowledge in the fields of telecommunications and software development, motivated to work with fifth generation mobile communications systems (5G) for ...
Institute Of Physics, Nanotechnology And Telecommunications, Training Program And Internship, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
Research Lab "Microelectronics" Institute of Physics, Nanotechnology and Telecommunications, Training Program and Internship Research Lab "Microelectronics", Institute of Physics, Nanotechnology a...
Research Grants Feup – Indtech 4.0 – Sp3 P109 P110 (# Of Pos: 2), FEUP, Portugal, 22 days ago
2 Research Grant Announcement (M/F) Call open for applications for two research grants within the framework of project INDTECH 4.0 – Novas tecnologias para fabricação Inteligente (SP3), ref. POCI-...