Job TitleTEES Senior Research Engineer III - Ballistic, Aero Optics, and Materials (BAM) Range
AgencyTexas A&M Engineering
DepartmentBush Combat Development Complex
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationCollege Station, Texas
The George H.W. Bush Combat Development Complex (BCDC) and Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) invite applications for a full-time Senior Research Engineer in the focus area of integrated hypersonics and directed energy. The successful applicant will apply advanced knowledge of scientific research or engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields; devise new approaches to problems encountered; use a wide application of complex principles, theories and concepts in the specific field or fields; work on complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variance factors; and act as a principal investigator on various projects. This position will provide subject matter expertise and direct support for hypersonics experimental testing within Ballistic, Aero-Optics and Materials (BAM) Range.
The BCDC - located on the 2,000-acre Texas A&M-RELLIS Campus in Bryan, TX - is an ecosystem for agile technology development and service-member-inspired research. The BCDC is the result of a partnership between the U.S. Army Futures Command and The Texas A&M University System, TEES and the State of Texas. The $200 million complex is designed to bring together researchers from U.S. universities, the military and the private sector for collaboration, demonstrations and high-tech testing of initiatives to help accelerate military innovation for our nation’s defense.
- Carry out complex or novel experimental and research programs within the BAM Range.
- Develop instrumentation and test plans – in coordination with customers/collaborators – to meet program objectives
- Identify opportunities to improve BAM Range capabilities through improved instrumentation, hardware upgrades, or operational improvements.
- Develop new or improved research or engineering techniques and procedures of interest to the Department of Defense or defense industrial base. Work is expected to result in the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or scientific methods and approaches.
- Lead or participate in team research and testing activities involving faculty, professional staff, and students.
- Develop and evaluate plans and criteria for a variety of projects and activities.
- Assess the feasibility and soundness of proposed tests, products and equipment when necessary data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable.
- Develop technical reports and presentations, and presents results of research projects to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide ideas to improve organizational efficiency at all levels of the unit/department.
- Develop and initiate technical standards through interactions with professional societies and key clients.
- Effectively uses peer network to expand technical capability and business development opportunities. Participates in external seminars, workshops, professional societies, and committees.
- Provides mentoring and training of research staff; uses national network to identify high caliber research talent.
- Works on extremely complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variance factors. Acts as a principal investigator on various projects
- Participates in strategic planning. Plays a key role in the acquisition of research funding; identifies sources of new contract funding and directs the preparation of proposals and presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten years of related experience.
- PhD in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience executing experimental campaigns in unique RDT&E facilities.
- Experimental experience in high-speed aerothermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
- Experience in high-speed aerodynamic experimental design, diagnostic methods, and computational fluid dynamics.
- Diagnostics experience related to the measurement of high-speed flows including free stream properties, near surface phenomena, and post shockwave conditions.
- Background in optics, gas dynamics, nonlinear optics, high-rate materials science or solid mechanics, plasma processes and/or advanced diagnostics.
- Experimental experience in research of layered materials and structures to mitigate hypervelocity impacts, in situ dynamic materials characterization, and forensic materials science.
- Characterization of mechanical and thermal properties of materials, including the ability to develop and operate customized measurement apparatus.
- Multi-physics material characterization.
- Experience in applied research and development projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey technical information clearly and effectively through informal and formal documents, reports, and presentations to senior management.
- Strong interpersonal skills to engage with customers/collaborators.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Highly collaborative and able to work in a team-based environment.
- Familiarity with principles of Agile project management and technology development.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Assistant Chief Financial Officer, Texas A&M University System, United States, 11 days ago
Job Title Assistant Chief Financial Officer Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Asst. Vice Chancellor/Cfo Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staf...
Graphic Designer Ii, Texas A&M University, United States, 12 days ago
Job Title Graphic Designer II Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Engineering Communications Group Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job D...
User Experience Analyst, Texas A&M University, United States, 3 days ago
Job Title User Experience Analyst Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Engineering Communications Group Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff J...
Instructional Designer Ii, Texas A&M University, United States, 3 days ago
Job Title Instructional Designer II Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Workforce Development Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descri...
Business Administrator Iii, Texas A&M University, United States, 3 days ago
Job Title Business Administrator III Agency Texas A&M University Department Student Business Services Proposed Minimum Salary $4,617.67 monthly Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff J...
Program Specialist Ii 2 Cwdg, Texas A&M Forest Service, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title Program Specialist II-2 CWDG Agency Texas A&M Forest Service Department Mitigation & Prevention Department Proposed Minimum Salary $3,833.33 monthly Job Location College Station, Texas J...