Classified Title: Technology Transfer Associate
Starting Salary Range: $67,114- $76,500
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60006026-Tech Transfer
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
General summary/purpose: Reporting to an Associate Director or Senior Licensing Associate, this is a business development position that manages a docket of technologies. Responsibilities include building faculty relationships, performing technology assessments, marketing, sales and licensing.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with faculty.
- Builds industry relations with companies with the intention of creating collaborations and JHU technology licenses.
- Reviews invention disclosures to identify commercial product scenarios and their unique features and benefits.
- Evaluates the market potential of inventions, including market size and dynamics, the market need addressed by the invention, its competitive position and barriers to entering the marketplace.
- Determines an invention’s current stage of development and its future development path.
- Recommends a technology transfer path for new inventions (e.g., patent, waive rights, assign rights to inventors).
- Collaborates with IP Management Group, Inventor and IP counsel to develop IP protection strategy.
- Engages with companies to determine their needs. Communicate identified needs to faculty to help them understand where their research fits with these identified needs.
- Performs targeted marketing/sales to companies; qualifies potential licensing opportunities.
- Drafts and negotiates license and other related contracts, such as option agreements, stock purchase agreements and collaboration agreements.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Must have education or experience within the physical sciences, engineering, chemistry, physics or biology. Candidate will have a working knowledge of the technology licensing process, marketing, patent management and the negotiation of license agreements that is typically gained through a minimum of 1 year of related licensing or technology transfer experience.
An advanced degree in a related science or engineering field or an MBA with experience in biotechnology is preferred.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must have the ability to understand complex technologies
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Must demonstrate outstanding work ethic and desire and ability to work in fast-paced high-expectation environment
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
CLP designation strongly preferred.
Any specific physical requirements for the job: Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard. Communication skills using the spoken word. Ability to see within normal parameters. Ability to hear within normal range. Ability to move about.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Assistant Volleyball Coach , Hofstra University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Assistant Volleyball Coach School/Division: Department of Athletics Office: Volleyball Full-Time or Part-Time: Full-Time About Hofstra Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized priv...
Associate Dean Of External Relations: Senior Extension Associate Position, Cornell University, United States, 1 day ago
Position ID:Cornell -College of Business -ERDEAN [#13541, wdr-00018470] Position Title: Position Type:Administration Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14850, United States [map ] Subject Area: M...
Associate Head/Assistant Field Hockey Coach , Hofstra University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Associate Head/Assistant Field Hockey Coach School/Division: Department of Athletics Office: Field Hockey Full-Time or Part-Time: Full-Time About Hofstra Hofstra University is a nationally ranked ...
*Senior Assistant To, Grade E , Hofstra University, United States, 9 days ago
*Senior Assistant To, Grade E School/Division: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office: Writing Studies and Rhetoric Full-Time or Part-Time: Full-Time About Hofstra Hofstra University is a nat...
Doctoral (Ph D) Pure & Applied Mathematics Students Teaching & Research Assistants, Stevens Institute of Technology, United States, 5 days ago
The Department of Mathematical Sciences of Stevens Institute of Technology (Stevens) is seeking qualified doctoral (PhD) students to also be hired as Teaching and Research Assistants. Prospective ...
Executive Assistant, Adelphi University, United States, 6 days ago
Executive Assistant ABOUT ADELPHI: Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives...