Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) delivers critical cloud, infrastructure, and network services to Harvard University. The Systems engineer will work as part of a team and is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware (physical/virtual) and software and related infrastructure. They will work to design and implement complex infrastructure solutions in a sustainable, supported, cost effective and reliable approach across different technologies per documented standards. May manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Typical Core Duties:
- Responsible for designing, building, configuring and documenting IT infrastructure.
- Monitor and optimize IT infrastructure.
- Define and track performance metrics to ensure efficient use of IT resources.
- Pro-actively review the health and well being of the environment to prevent downtimes.
- Pro-actively monitor other elements of the environment as necessary, such as: completion of backups, security and compliance controls, etc.
- Follow and contribute to the establishment of best practices.
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies, Code of Conduct, and other compliance requirements as necessary.
- Support and collaborate with business/IT partners and stakeholders.
Other Important Responsibilities:
- Supports various HUHS applications and systems deployed across multiple platforms, both on premise and in the cloud (Microsoft Azure).
- Look for opportunities to leverage new technologies, approaches, and automation to drive improvements in service and operations.
- Take an active role in applying OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Work in close collaboration with the application teams to ensure the infrastructure supports the needs of the applications adequately..
- Beyond core operating system, administer other Microsoft technologies supporting the environment MS SQLServer, Terminal Services, IIS, etc.
- Enables good technical decisions by understanding the purpose of the system, customer interaction, system goals, and providing key data points
- Performs troubleshooting, administration and automation for infrastructure, applications, and database components
- Works effectively within the team(s), demonstrating a willingness to help others, the HUIT values of User-Focused, Collaborative, Innovative, and Open, and embracing change
- Stays current with emerging technology and trends with respect to Microsoft Azure, Cloud, and specific technologies
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Three to five years’ experience working as a Microsoft Azure Cloud Engineer, Windows System Administrator, or Automation Engineer, supporting enterprise systems in a complex computing environment preferred.
- Experience working with remote desktop technologies (Microsoft RDP, Azure AVD) preferred.
- Experience working with Microsoft Active Directory preferred.
- Working knowledge of key cloud services, such as Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with coding in general and infrastructure as code (e.g., ARM Templates, Terraform, PowerShell, Ansible, Shell, Python,) preferred.
- Experience working with Databases (MS SQL Server Availability groups) preferred.
- Strong grasp of networking, security, and system administration concepts.
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
- Knowledge of any compliance requirements such as HIPAA, FERPA, PCI, etc. a plus.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department’s current presence on campus.
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be called during off hours
- This position requires on-call support.
HUIT actively supports hybrid work where business and team needs allow. Additional detail will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies .
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT’s core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Harvard’s Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Paid Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks accrued vacation days, 12 accrued sick days, 12.5 paid holidays plus winter recess, and 3 personal days awarded each calendar year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard's commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA - MA - Cambridge
I0758P Applications Professional IV
Technology Partner Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Associate Director, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion And Belonging, Harvard University Information Technology, United States, 30 days ago
Details Posted: 11-May-23 Location: USA - MA - Cambridge Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Administrative/Support Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 62517BR Job Summary Harvard Universit...
Alumni Relations Assistant Specialist, Volunteer Leadership And College Alumni Programs, Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development, United States, about 1 month ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: USA - MA - Cambridge Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Administrative/Support Alumni Affairs Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 62353BR Job Summary Al...
Principal Qa, Sdet, Harvard University Business School, United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 07-Jun-23 Location: USA - MA - Boston Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Information Technology Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 60062BR Posit...
Director Of Science Instruction And Premedical Program, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences, United States, about 1 month ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: USA - MA - Cambridge Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Student Affairs/Services Internal Number: 62465BR Position Description Life a...
Digitization Manager, Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences, United States, 25 days ago
Details Posted: 16-May-23 Location: USA - MA - Cambridge Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Arts/Museums Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 60394BR Job Summary The Digitization Manager wi...
Blavatnik Fellow, Harvard University Business School, United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 07-Jun-23 Location: USA - MA - Boston Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 62680BR Job Summary The Bl...