- Job ID
- Job Location
- Job Location
- United States
- Alternate locations
- Information Technology/Software
More information about this job:
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., American Institutes for Research (AIR) is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance both domestically and internationally. As one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world, AIR is committed to empowering communities and institutions with innovative solutions to the most critical challenges in education, health, workforce, and international development.
AIR’s Information Technology (IT) organization provides technology services for clients both inside and external to AIR. IT maintains three professional-grade data and hosting centers that are supported by a team of engineers monitoring the continuous operations of the network, including servers, security, and applications. Internally, IT provides a wide variety of services that include electronic mail, collaboration, networking, business-specific data base applications, and technical support for applications and web-site developers. Externally, IT delivers web hosting services with rigorous security requirements that satisfy industry standards. AIR is currently looking for a Systems/Network Engineer for its Washington, DC office.
• Provide day to day operational support of web hosting activities and work on a variety of projects designed to improve the Web Hosting Infrastructure for AIR.
• Maintain a highly virtualized Enterprise environment providing IT Service Operations Team support with new system builds, configuration for new hosting applications, maintenance and patching of systems.
• Follow VMware best-practices management and maintenance procedures to provide maximum uptime of the virtualized systems and applications.
• Monitors servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability and security.
• Provides server and network administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of Windows (2008+) and Linux servers.
• Follow security best practices that will assist in maintaining a stable and highly secure IT environment.
• Develops and maintains a working knowledge on a wide range of Enterprise applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL, SharePoint, Exchange, and Skype for Business in clustered and non-clustered configurations.
• Work directly and effectively with other teams in troubleshooting problems and finding solutions.
• Utilize FootPrints ticket queue to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating tickets as required.
• Participates in the pager rotation, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks, and applications.
• Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and other technical documentation for operational tasks.
• Manage complex problems through to a successful conclusion.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience in the IT industry, or a Master’s degree with 3 years of relevant experience.
• At least one or more certifications in any of these areas will be required: A+, Network+, MDBA, MCTS on MS-SQL, MCITP, MCP, and MCSA.
• Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere
• Experience with Microsoft SQL, including installation, administration, configuration, troubleshooting, backup and restoration.
• Solid knowledge of Windows Operating System 2008+ servers and/or Linux servers (Red Hat, Suse), and application systems including concepts, issues, practices, methodologies, and trends relevant to network design and administration.
• Ability to understand and analyze complex issues and information relating to database management.
• Excellent documentation and communication skills, a proactive and detail-oriented approach, a strong team-oriented attitude, and the ability to establish work priorities are required.
• Passion for the craft with a demonstrated ability to learn and understand the technology both at a high level and at a detailed level.
Additional Qualifications:(not required)
• Experience with storage arrays and storage area networks (SAN) such as Network Appliance (NetApp) is a plus.
• Demonstrated proficiency with networks and protocols: TCP/IP, ports, application monitoring tools, security techniques and applications, and firewalls.
• Experience with AWS or other Cloud-based Hosting Environments.
• Cloud-based back-up and disaster recovery.
Apply for this job onlineApply
Refer this job to a friendRefer
Share on your newsfeed
Please note, each section of the application is required in order for you to be considered for this opportunity. If you do not complete the required screening questions, or if you close your browser before completing each section of the application, your application will not be submitted for this position.
American Institutes for Research is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Go back to the welcome page
Programmer/Analyst, University of California, United States, 2 days ago
Requisition Number: 26661 Job Title: PROGRAMMER/ANALYST III Working Title: Programmer/Analyst Salary: $5,234 - $10,358 monthly Job Type: Career Department Name: 0145-COMPUTER SCIENCE Department We...
Senior Network Engineer (Wireless) , University College London, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
UCL Department / Division Information Services Division Grade 8 Hours Full Time Salary (inclusive of London allowance) £43,023 - £50,753 per annum Duties and Responsibilities The Network Platform ...
Professional Officer (Software Engineering), Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore, about 7 hours ago
Location:SIT@Dover Division:Professional Officers Employment type:Full-time Job type:Contract The Professional Officer acts as a first line mentor to SIT’s students on hands-on and practical activ...
Communications Assistant (Valencia), Berklee College of Music, United States, about 6 hours ago
Berklee College of Music is the world’s recognized leader in contemporary music education and the largest school of contemporary music in the world. Berklee’s Valencia, Spain campus delivers gradu...
Senior It Professional I, Texas A&M University, United States, 3 days ago
Posting Details Position Information Position Title Senior IT Professional I Posting Title Senior IT Professional I System Member Institution/Agency TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY (TAMU) Department DEAN OF ...
Web Specialist, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Reno, United States, about 24 hours ago
Position Information Position Information Job Title Web Specialist, University Libraries Department Library Department Web Address https://library.unr.edu/ Full Time Equivalent 100% Position Type ...