|Exempt/Overtime Eligible||Overtime Eligible|
|Division/Department||Physics, Math and Astronomy-IPAC|
|Work Location (City, State or Country)||Pasadena, Ca.|
|Functional Title||System Administrator|
|Job Category||Fulltime Regular|
|If position is parttime, how many hours per week?|
|If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months?|
|Emergency Reporting Designation?||Essential Non-Reporting|
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Desired Employment Start Date|
|Position End Date (if temporary)|
|Anticipated Salary Range|
The IPAC Support Group Systems Engineering team (ISGSE) provides systems engineering, network engineering and systems administration support for all IPAC projects as well as the organization at large. We manage tens of petabytes of data, high speed networks, compute clusters and the data centers to house them.
IPAC (www.ipac.caltech.edu) provides science and data management for astronomy missions (both space and ground telescopes), planning for future projects, and vital science archives. IPAC supports NASA, NSF, and privately funded projects, including: Spitzer, WISE, NEOWISE, the Zwicky Transient Facility, the Thirty-Meter Telescope, and the US centers for Planck, Herschel, and Euclid. IPAC operates the NASA/IPAC Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED), the NASA Exoplanet Archive – a service of the NASA ExoPlanet Science Institute (NExScI), and the Keck Observatory Archive (KOA).
The ISGSE team is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to help with everything from routine systems administration tasks to data center engineering projects. Typical duties include:
• Server installation and configuration.
• OS patching and upgrades.
• Third-party software installation.
• Email server management.
• LDAP configuration.
• Network performance monitoring.
• Storage systems configuration and management.
• Queuing systems configuration and management.
• Routine systems administration tasks such as account management and permissions.
• Backup configuration and management.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
• At least seven years of experience with Linux, specifically Red Hat, CentOS or Debian.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to work with others on a small team.
• Ability to organize and manage priorities across multiple assigned tasks.
• Must be able to lift and install equipment into server racks,; typically 35 lbs.
• Interest in science, particularly Astronomy: It’s what we do.
• Data Center administration experience.
• Recent experience with Solaris 10 & 11.
• Recent experience with virtualization technologies including VMWare and RHEV.
• Recent experience with cloud computing, particularly AWS.
• Fiber-channel storage configuration.
• Filesystem configuration. ZFS, XFS and EXT-3 & 4.
• Backup systems experience; NetBackup or Networker.
• Tape Library operations; Quantum or StorageTek.
• Networking experience; CCNA would be great.
• Familiar with systems security best practices.
• Familiarity with software development tools like svn and git.
• Extensive scripting experience in sh, bash, tcsh, Perl, Python and Ruby.
• Configuration experience with systems monitoring tools like Zabbix, Xymon, or Nagios.
• DevOps experience, particularly Ansible.
• Programming skills in C, C++, or Java.
• Web server configuration.
Posting Detail Information
|Posting Open Date||07/13/2017|
|Posting Close Date|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
Programmer Analyst I, University of California, Los Angeles, United States, 9 days ago
Job Duties Job Qualifications Job Duties Responsibilities Provide various levels of computer support to Venice Family Clinic. Receive orders for computer hardware, software, and accessories. Insta...
Business Systems Analyst For Crm, Biola University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Business Systems Analyst for CRM Position Summary The goal of this position is to provide support for Biola’s student facing CRM solution that coordinates communications and service related activi...
Security Investigator Manager Technical Information Security O, The California State University, United States, about 7 hours ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 3319 Job Title: Security Investigator Manager - Technical Information Security O Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 11, 2018 Closing Date: Open until filled Lin...
Business Systems Analyst For Student Educational Planning, Biola University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Business Systems Analyst for Student Educational Planning Position Summary This position provides technical and business process support and service for Biola’s student educational planning functi...
Tenure Track Faculty Position In Physics, Biola University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Biola University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Physics, at the Associate or Full Professor rank, to begin July 2018. Responsibilities. Teach a variety of u...
It Compliance Program Analyst (Aa/S Ei), The California State University, United States, about 7 hours ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: Recruitment # 60569 Job Title: IT Compliance Program Analyst (AA/S EI) Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 18, 2018 Closing Date: July 2, 2...