|Exempt/Overtime Eligible||Overtime Eligible|
|Division/Department||Physics, Math and Astronomy-IPAC|
|Work Location (City, State or Country)||Pasadena, Ca.|
|Functional Title||System Administrator|
|Job Category||Fulltime Regular|
|If position is parttime, how many hours per week?|
|If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months?|
|Emergency Reporting Designation?||Essential Non-Reporting|
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Desired Employment Start Date|
|Position End Date (if temporary)|
|Anticipated Salary Range|
The IPAC Support Group Systems Engineering team (ISGSE) provides systems engineering, network engineering and systems administration support for all IPAC projects as well as the organization at large. We manage tens of petabytes of data, high speed networks, compute clusters and the data centers to house them.
IPAC (www.ipac.caltech.edu) provides science and data management for astronomy missions (both space and ground telescopes), planning for future projects, and vital science archives. IPAC supports NASA, NSF, and privately funded projects, including: Spitzer, WISE, NEOWISE, the Zwicky Transient Facility, the Thirty-Meter Telescope, and the US centers for Planck, Herschel, and Euclid. IPAC operates the NASA/IPAC Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED), the NASA Exoplanet Archive – a service of the NASA ExoPlanet Science Institute (NExScI), and the Keck Observatory Archive (KOA).
The ISGSE team is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to help with everything from routine systems administration tasks to data center engineering projects. Typical duties include:
• Server installation and configuration.
• OS patching and upgrades.
• Third-party software installation.
• Email server management.
• LDAP configuration.
• Network performance monitoring.
• Storage systems configuration and management.
• Queuing systems configuration and management.
• Routine systems administration tasks such as account management and permissions.
• Backup configuration and management.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
• At least seven years of experience with Linux, specifically Red Hat, CentOS or Debian.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to work with others on a small team.
• Ability to organize and manage priorities across multiple assigned tasks.
• Must be able to lift and install equipment into server racks,; typically 35 lbs.
• Interest in science, particularly Astronomy: It’s what we do.
• Data Center administration experience.
• Recent experience with Solaris 10 & 11.
• Recent experience with virtualization technologies including VMWare and RHEV.
• Recent experience with cloud computing, particularly AWS.
• Fiber-channel storage configuration.
• Filesystem configuration. ZFS, XFS and EXT-3 & 4.
• Backup systems experience; NetBackup or Networker.
• Tape Library operations; Quantum or StorageTek.
• Networking experience; CCNA would be great.
• Familiar with systems security best practices.
• Familiarity with software development tools like svn and git.
• Extensive scripting experience in sh, bash, tcsh, Perl, Python and Ruby.
• Configuration experience with systems monitoring tools like Zabbix, Xymon, or Nagios.
• DevOps experience, particularly Ansible.
• Programming skills in C, C++, or Java.
• Web server configuration.
Posting Detail Information
|Posting Open Date||07/13/2017|
|Posting Close Date|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
Associate Vice President, Infrastructure & Production Services /, The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 3143 Job Title: Associate Vice President, Infrastructure & Production Services / Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 11, 2017 Closing Date: Open until filled ...
.Technical Support Specialist, The California State University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 1013207 Job Title: .Technical Support Specialist Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 13, 2017 Closing Date: October 27, 2017 Link to...
Director Cloud And Data Center Services, California State University, Northridge, United States, about 12 hours ago
CSUN's Commitment to You CSUN is strongly committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, active learning and diversity. Our values include a respect for all people, building all...
Director, Technology Support Services, The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 1013201 Job Title: Director, Technology Support Services Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 11, 2017 Closing Date: November 1, 2017 Link to Apply Online: http://w...
It Continuity Specialist (Aa/S Eiii), The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 60424 Job Title: IT Continuity Specialist (AA/S EIII) Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 9, 2017 Closing Date: October 23, 2017 Link to...
Information Technology Administrator, The California State University, United States, 15 days ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 1013169 Job Title: Information Technology Administrator Appointment Type: Temporary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: September 22, 2017 Closing Date: October 6, 2017 Li...