Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Gift Accounting Coordinator reports to the Director of Gift Accounting and is primarily responsible for managing the cashier and administrative functions within Gift Accounting and the Office of Gift Administration (OGA). The Gift Accounting Coordinator serves as a liaison with campus departments and demonstrates an understanding of the principles of financial operational and analysis reporting. This position is also responsible for maintaining a standard of accuracy and efficiency and a significant level of confidentiality due to the sensitive donor/constituent client information as recorded in the GU360 system.
The Gift Accounting Coordinator is part of the Gift Accounting team within the Office of Gift Administration. The OGA team ensures that philanthropic gifts are accepted, recorded, receipted, and reported on in a timely and accurate manner. This position will also interact with fiscal officers and other financial and administrative managers in resolving gift-related issues related to gift cashiering and handling, researching transactions, and administrative tasks as they arise. This position interacts with members of the University community outside of Advancement; these include the University Comptroller and staff, General Accounting Office, University Information Services (UIS) Finance team, and internal and external auditors. This position has no direct reports and work closely with the other members of the Office in order to achieve success.
The Gift Accounting Coordinator will have duties that include, but are not limited to the following:
Cash and other Instrument Receipts
- Receives and receipts a variety of payments and other cash and cash-related transactions, verifies and posts to appropriate accounts, and issues receipts.
- Prepares cash receipts for bank deposit, daily cash reports and balances the cash drawer, reconciles cash, check, and credit card receipts daily, and investigates and resolves any out-of-balance problems.
- Process credit card transactions through secured assigned merchant terminal.
- Post payment deposits and information accurately and timely.
- Manages the merchant accounts related to the Office of Gift Administration.
- Identifies and resolves chargebacks.
- Assists individuals in the accurate application of their transactions, and when necessary, researches records on electronic and other available files to provide information regarding financial status.
- Confirms address changes and/or new donor request records have been processed by the GU Donor Records office.
- Assist with researching errors in donor records.
- File cashiering documents.
- Greet visitors within Gift Administration.
- Provides information and guidance to patrons regarding pertinent rules, policies, and procedures related to cash and cash-related transactions
- Directs patrons to proper departments/areas, as appropriate, to seek resolution of problems beyond the information available to the cashier.
- Answers gift administration main phone and POTS secured telephone lines to collect donors’ credit card information and intended gift designations. Provides Office of Advancement Development Officers/Assistants with status of gifts/donations/commitments received and processed.
- Performs other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Serves as one of the backup staff in answering the donor line and in supporting Gift Accounting team in administrative tasks such as mail merges, scanning, and saving weekly receipts, pledge reminders, and matching gift tracking.
- Monitors and responds to POTS lines telephone calls via secured transmission to collect credit card information over the phone.
- Adhere to Internal/External audit, Payment Card Industry (PCI) and Data Security Standards (DSS) requirements.
- Complies with all university and office of gift administration policy and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of university, donor and student data and financial records.
- A minimum of 1-3 years experience, relative to cashier or other money management experience and is responsible for the proper handling of cash, checks, and credit card transactions that come directly to the Office of Advancement
- Experience may be substituted for Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis
- Strong computer skills, particularly Excel (Pivot tables, VLookup)
- A candidate with accounting, cash management, credit card processing, banking, or similar financial services experience is highly preferred
- Experience with Salesforce, other SAP or Oracle, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) compatible accounting, or record systems is preferable, but not required
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Director Of Gifts And Records Administration, George Mason University, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Information Position Information Department Advancement & Alumni Relations Alternate Department Description Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check...
Director Of Development, Cas (14445), American University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Summary/Objective The Director of Development, CAS is a member of the development team supporting the College of Arts and Sciences as the major gifts officer and is responsible for achieving ambit...
Administrative Assistant 3, Unlv Student Accounts [R0119308], University of Nevada, Reno, United States, 12 days ago
The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind t...
Grants Analyst, George Mason University, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Information Position Information Department College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) Alternate Department Description Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Veh...
Finance & Operations Coordinator , Johns Hopkins University, United States, 13 days ago
ABOUT AICGS The American Institute for Contemporary German Studies (AICGS) in Washington, DC, is the only think tank focused exclusively on the most pressing issues at stake for Germany and the Un...
Payroll/Hr Business Services Specialist, University of Maryland, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 100470 Title: Business Services Specialist Functional Title: Payroll/HR Business Services Specialist Category Status: 20-Nonexempt,Regular Applican...