American Repertory Theater
The American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) at Harvard University is a leading force in the American theater, producing groundbreaking work that is driven by risk-taking and passionate inquiry. The Marketing and Communications department is responsible for building brand awareness and driving attendance to performances and other programming, generating more than $5.5+ million in annual earned revenue. The department also collaborates with and supports the efforts of the Development and artistic departments.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, the Subscriptions and Group Sales Manager is responsible for managing the operations of the $1.5 million subscription and group sales campaigns as an essential part of the department’s $5.5+ million earned income goal. This position is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of effective relationships of subscribers and group leaders. This role is also responsible for assessing the challenges and opportunities to grow the group sales sector of the A.R.T.’s business by identifying, maintaining and deepening relationships with group leaders and travel and tourism professionals. The Subscriptions and Group Sales Manager will build out and execute a plan to drive revenue through outbound group and volume-based sales and will be the main point person for those sales.
This position collaborates closely with the Marketing and Development teams to synchronize efforts with the goal of holistic patron-centric interaction that fosters engagement, retention, and loyalty.
Subscription management responsibilities include:
- Lead the process of developing the annual renewal, reactivation, acquisition, and retention plans, including pricing; create strategy and oversee execution and tracking.
- Oversee expense and revenue budgets; make recommendations for investment, projecting and tracking ROI.
- Develop and implement messaging; recommend and create targeted and synchronized communications campaigns across direct mail, email, social media, event, and onsite promotion.
- Report overall numbers and results per campaign; drive strategies and specific tactics to increase households, packages, and revenue, including donations and ticket add-ons.
- Develop and oversee execution of loyalty initiatives, including collaboration with Development on growing the new Super Subscriber program (subscriber/donor); develop bespoke benefits that encourage retention and upgrades to both packages and fundraising.
- Create and maintain subscription analytics reports to determine progress towards assertive sales goals. Research external peers and trends for benchmarking. Communicate pertinent information and progress against goals to key internal stakeholders, including Senior Management, Marketing, Patron Services, and Development colleagues.
- Serve as the primary contact for subscribers, including any customer service issues in collaboration with Patron Services and Development if Super Subscriber
- Manage student interns for on-site and off-site events.
- Lead the process of creating a strategic group sales plan; oversee execution and tracking. Review and update policies and procedures, including pricing.
- Make recommendations for investment, projecting ROI.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan in alignment with overall production campaigns that includes identifying and actively pursuing new leads and new constituencies for group sales business including outbound calls and/or meetings with group leaders.
- Represent the A.R.T. and serve as a point of contact to a variety of industry groups and peer organizations and key relationship manager for all groups; build the business by developing and maintaining relationships with organizations such as Meet Boston, the concierge association and senior living organizations; represent the A.R.T. at conferences and industry events.
- Research and cultivate organizations to build new and diverse audiences for A.R.T. productions, including relationships with relevant Allston groups in preparation for the move in 2026.
- Produce monthly group sales reports and sales comparisons.
- Work with the Box Office to record and track sales activities using Tessitura, including managing inventory, processing deposits and payments, and printing and mailing tickets when final payment is received.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field. 3 years experience in Sales and Marketing functions. Relevant work experience in managing sales and marketing. Relevant experience in sales and building patron loyalty may serve in lieu of schooling.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work occasional evenings, nights, and weekends as performance, rehearsal, conference, and event schedule demands (approximately 20%) as well as occasional out-of-state travel (less than 10% annually).
Additional Qualifications and Skills
A successful candidate will have:
- Commitment to leading and advocating for Anti-Racism, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion principles in their practice.
- Successful strategic planning and goal setting with the ability to collaboratively execute on thoughtful plans.
- Excellent interpersonal and sales skills; able to collaborate with and motivate a wide range of people external to A.R.T., as well as across the department and organization to achieve ambitious sales goals.
- Experience managing and cultivating a high-touch portfolio of clients (subscribers, subscribers/donors, and group leaders)
- Strong budgeting, organizational, and analytical skills with the ability to interpret data to help inform business development decisions.
- Demonstrated leadership and independent problem-solving skills; able to set clear direction and prioritize multiple tasks in a creative, fast-paced, service-oriented environment
- Creative and clear written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- must be able to maintain confidentiality and discretion and represent the department and the A.R.T. with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Strong computer skills with a command of Microsoft Office suite
- Extensive experience with CRM systems and working knowledge of Tessitura is strongly preferred as this position will join the Tessitura power users’ group and manage clients within the application.
Please Note: Writing samples are required.
Harvard University supports a hybrid workplace model which will actively support some remote work. Specific days and schedules for on-site work and remote work will be discussed during the interview process. Please note hybrid workers must reside in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
CM0656 Marketing/Sales Prfessional II
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Credit, Criminal, Identity
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Training Support Specialist, China, Nature Careers, Spain, 6 days ago
Purpose of the role: This role is responsible for maintaining and developing client relationships for all contracted customers to Nature Masterclasses On-demand within the China region. With the p...
Ticket Service And Retention Associate, Arizona State University, United States, 3 days ago
99089BR Campus: Tempe Ticket Sales and Service Assoc Job Description The Sun Devil Athletic Ticket Sales Team is seeking highly motivated and dedicated sales candidates to work within the high-ene...
Inside Sales Associate, Arizona State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
99277BR Campus: Tempe Ticket Sales and Service Assoc Job Description The Sun Devil Athletics Ticket Sales Team is seeking highly motivated and dedicated Inside Sales Associate candidates to work a...
Account Executive, Ticket Sales, Arizona State University, United States, 8 days ago
98834BR Campus: Tempe Ticket Sales and Service Assoc Job Description The Sun Devil Athletics Ticket Sales Team is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Account Executive candidate to work and g...
Business Development Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, about 7 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 1 year plus a day, and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our B...
Growth And Outreach Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 3 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 1 year plus 1 day and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Be...