Student Services Officer 2
The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the center of a world-class liberal arts education at Stanford University. H&S encompasses 23 departments—from Art and Art History, English, and History to Economics, Mathematics, and Biology—as well as 23 interdisciplinary programs. As the university’s largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Graduate students work alongside world-renowned faculty to pursue and shape foundational research that leads to breakthroughs and discoveries that shed new light on the past, influence the present, and shape the future. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.
Note: The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford’s Department of Biology is the largest department in the School of Humanities & Sciences, and we attract top students, faculty, and research staff from all over the world. We seek a highly motivated, organized, and energetic individual to provide a full range of services to graduate students as the full-time Graduate Student Services Officer.
Under the direction of the Student Services Manager, the Graduate Student Services Officer is responsible for all graduate student related academic services, including advising and degree progress for PhD and coterminal MS students, graduate student funding, and PhD and coterminal MS admissions. This position serves as a key member of the Biology Student Services Office team working directly with students, faculty, staff and other key University stakeholders with minimal supervision.
The ideal candidate will be adept at managing multiple projects with competing deadlines, implementing and improving current processes, and tracking the many details related to degree progress, graduate admissions, and graduate student funding. We are looking for an individual who is equity-minded, student-focused, detail-oriented, flexible, and empathetic. The Graduate Student Services Officer will work closely with department leadership, current students and other organizations within the University, so they are expected to have strong communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills, and be confident in explaining and upholding policy. Candidates with experience administering graduate and/or undergraduate programs will be well-suited for this Graduate Student Services Officer position, although we will train the right person who has the core skills, abilities and relevant experience.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as soon as possible for full consideration. The hiring process is targeted to begin about two weeks from date of posting.
- Administer an area or program in student services, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility. Review decisions recommended by other staff.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve program issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues. May be tasked with evaluating and recommending program improvements.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Provide guidance and counsel, oversee and develop a wide range of programs and services, analyze effectiveness and make recommendations for future programs.
- Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources.
- Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare manage reports and presentations.
- Identify and evaluate data needs, manage the implementation and development of technology.
- Develop and implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community and university liaison represent department and university at meetings and events.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions. May have to escalate issues to a senior advisor.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities, make recommendations and may award grants.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to students and other departments; represent unit/department.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.
- May oversee, analyze and assist in financial processes and development of budgets.
- Serve as a key member of a project team.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers and temporary workers.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
Job Series: Student Services
Job Code: 7502
Student Engagement Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 7 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499871 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 9, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) L...
Guardian Scholars Program Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 15 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499643 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 30, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) ...
Campus Survivor Advocate, The California State University, United States, 3 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499993 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 14, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: htt...
Assistant Director For Campus Programming And Leadership Development, The California State University, United States, 7 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499868 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 9, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) L...
Biosafety Officer, The California State University, United States, 19 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499319 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 29, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...
Graduate Enrollment Counselor, The California State University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500003 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 19, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) ...