Financial Administration (FAD) is dedicated to advancing Harvard University’s teaching and research mission by stewarding its resources; providing support, guidance, and consultation; ensuring compliance with University and federal guidelines; mitigating risk; pursuing operational excellence; and promoting the financial health of the University.
Harvard’s Office of Financial Strategy & Planning is a dynamic and entrepreneurial working environment that supports and facilitates decision-making at the highest levels of the University (including the CFO, EVP, Provost, President and Corporation) in key areas of financial management and strategic planning.
As an Analyst, you will be responsible for the office’s relationship with a few of the University’s Schools and business Units, including conducting objective analyses of the Schools’ financial performance, developing an in-depth understanding of their financial structure, and reviewing the Schools’ and Units’ quarterly results, annual budgets, long-range financial and capital planning. This position will also be involved in a wide range of initiatives to advise University leadership, Schools and Units on critical strategic financial questions (e.g., endowment planning, capital planning considerations, financial policy development, etc.).
- Working closely with School leadership to analyze and evaluate quarterly results, operating budgets, multi-year financial plans and multi-year capital plans ahead of engagement with the CFO, EVP, Provost, President, and the Corporation.
- Synthesizing findings and determining short- and long-term ramifications for all stakeholders.
- Designing and delivering presentations that educate University and School leadership on potential options, facilitating informal and formal dialogue as needed.
- Developing hypotheses and conducting analyses to respond to Schools’ ad-hoc queries and strategic requests.
- Performing other ad-hoc projects to support the policies and decision-making of the CFO, EVP, President, Corporation, and other senior University leadership.
- Working closely with other groups within the central finance division (including the Office of the Controller, the Office of Treasury Management, and the Office of Sponsored Programs) to better understand University-wide financial management issues that inform planning, reporting, and analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- MBA (or other relevant professional/graduate degree) a plus; Note: An MBA with prior consulting experience, or extensive financial analytics experience in a complex environment, can offset the required years of experience.
- We welcome applicants of all levels. Candidates with more or less experience/qualifications are encouraged to apply
- Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication skills, including experience presenting to senior ("C-level") leadership.
- All applicants must demonstrate experience with designing and executing strategy-based financial analyses, including scenario modeling.
- Must be well organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
- Applicants must also have collaborative working style and ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
FAD actively supports hybrid work where business needs allow. Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
This position has a 90-day orientation and review period.
More about FAD:
Within and across the University, we aim to be exemplary colleagues, trusted partners, valued advisors, and agents of positive change.
Within our own community, we aspire to:
- Engage with respect, honesty, and integrity
- Cultivate equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Welcome innovation, collaboration, and flexibility
- Enjoy our work, grow professionally, and aim for the extraordinary
Learn more about Financial Administration (harvard.edu) and our eight reporting units.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
F0957P Financial Analyst III
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Office of Financial Strategy & Planning
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Executive Vice President (Administration And Finance), THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Work type: Full-time Department: President's Office (60100) Categories: Professional & Management, Senior Management / Officers The Search for Executive Vice-President (Administration and Finance)...
Mgr Budget Planning & Ops, Arizona State University, United States, 19 days ago
94931BR Campus: Tempe Mgr Budget Planning & Ops Job Description As Manager, Budget Planning and Operations, you are a primary driver in critical internal and external budget production and reporti...
Senior Finance Business Partner (Infrastructure), UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
A true business partnering opportunity to achieve strategic direction Level 10 Grade 3 position on a full-time, permanent basis Competitive remuneration plus 17% superannuation The University of W...
Accountant, Arizona State University, United States, 16 days ago
95245BR Campus: Tempe Accountant Job Description Financial Services seeks an Accountant for the Debt, Plant, and Capital Asset Management Accounting area who will: process financial transactions, ...
Budget Systems Analyst, Arizona State University, United States, 16 days ago
95236BR Campus: Tempe Budget Systems Analyst Job Description As Budget Systems Analyst, you serve as an administrator of ASU’s enterprise budgeting and planning system, Workday Adaptive Planning. ...
Accountant, Arizona State University, United States, 16 days ago
95208BR Campus: Tempe Accountant Job Description Financial Services seeks an Accountant who: will act as an accounting liaison with Academic and Administrative departments within the University wi...