Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a MagnetÂ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
The Clinical Process Consultant is a clinician with hands-on experience caring for Heart patients and who also has a deep interest an understanding of clinical system technology platforms like the Epic EMR.
Candidates to this role must be able to apply critical thinking and be able to articulate understand big picture scope and impact, applying structural thinking, while tracking the detail and helping staff, developers, and others in the department the implications of design or development decisions.
This role is able to translate process change needs into requirements that a developer may act on. This position understands the spectrum of care settings inpatient, interventional, outpatient. This position supports the analysis, evaluation, documentation, and implementation of changes to clinical workflows and any changes to the relevant IT systems used to support care. These changes span multiple departments, multiple workflows and systems.
This position will report to and closely support the department’s Senior Manager Heart Center Cardiovascular Informatics in understanding the big picture and help to execute the work of the department by tracking relevant details and by making sure the need, communicated via requirements, is well understood by developers, vendors, or other non-clinicians.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
Heart Center Clinical Processes Support, Workflows and Systems
- Support the Senior Manager in engaging the stakeholders, collecting, conveying requirements and testing development work for accuracy.
- Act as a high level expert on our systems and how they are used. Assist in implementing technology changes that can adapt quickly to changing organization, business, and clinical demands.
- Reviews clinical process, system or other changes (i.e. system upgrades) that might impact existing workflows and recommends methods to optimize to desired state and improve efficiency. Review system or process architecture in scope of assigned projects.
- Meet with stakeholders and document system changes (e.g. detailed requirements) for developers and or vendors. Interview clinical staff and confirm planned changes do not have any unintended consequences to patient care.
- Answer or resolve any questions related to clinical context or system use vendors or developers may have.
- Communicate information clearly and create an environment where people can engage in open dialogue and reach effective solutions together to optimize workflow or process.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to resolve complex issues related to automated workflows or other complex processes or lead discussions with the business and operational leaders to analyze reporting needs, configure and model data and develop reports using specialized knowledge of reporting applications and software applications.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education: BS required. BSN strongly preferred.
Experience Strongly prefer extensive clinical experience caring for heart patients across different levels of acuity including stepdown/telemetry and critical care unit. Minimum 5 years experience. Experience with performance improvement and developing pilot projects within the context of a hospital as well as agencies that influence how we do PI/QI (Baldridge, JCAHO, Magnet). 2 years or more experience. Experience coaching staff. Good understanding of business process functions associated with patient care operations such as staffing budgets and staff training. >1.5 years. Adept with technology and patient care systems as evidenced by participation in some system roll out, or as a training or super user for an EMR system. > 2 years Experience with some form of leadership and committee participation. For example Nurse manager. > 1 year.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or
Certification: Strongly prefer RN BSN
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Strong analytical and communication skills. Organized structured thinker. Proficient with productivity tools (e.g Excel, Sharepoint). Familiar with Epic Radiant. Able to train groups of people.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
A Bachelor's degree in a business or health-related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years' work experience, including 3 years of experience with significant responsibility for performance/ process improvement.
- Experience leading work teams required.
- Experience can be supplemented with a master's being equivalent to two years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective written and verbal communication skills care improvement
- Ability to communicate with customers/staff with diverse educational backgrounds
- Analysis of data and processes for opportunities for
- Ability to manage numerous diverse projects simultaneously through effective priority setting, efficient use of time, organization
- Knowledge of accreditation standards and regulations related to health
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer literacy
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Patient Care Coordinator , UNC-Chapel Hill, United States, about 7 hours ago
Classification Title: Patient Care Coordinator Working Title: Patient Care Coordinator Campus: UNC-Chapel Hill Region: Piedmont/Triangle Job Summary: This is a unique opportunity to help train the...
Patient Care Coordinator, University of North Carolina, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department ASOD Pediatric Dentistry-435100 Career Area Health Professional (Physician/Nurse/Other) Is this an internal only recruitment? No Posting Open Dat...
Data And Analytics Specialist , UNC-Chapel Hill, United States, about 7 hours ago
Classification Title: Data and Analytics Specialist Working Title: Data and Analytics Specialist Campus: UNC-Chapel Hill Region: Piedmont/Triangle Job Summary: Since the creation of NC AHEC Progra...
Senior Business Systems Analyst, The Graduate School, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position ID:Duke University -The Graduate School -SBSA [#21796, 1704] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States Subject Area: Finance / Fi...
Research Project Manager, University of North Carolina, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Surgery - Cardiothoracic-414010 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 05/12/2022 Application Deadline 05/25/2022 Open Until Filled...
Administrative Support Specialist, University of North Carolina, United States, 21 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Statistics and Operations Res-319200 Career Area Administrative/Clerical Support Is this an internal only recruitment? No Posting Open Date 04/28...