Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
Develops Sterile Processing educational programs regarding proper decontamination, disinfection, and sterilization methods. Collaborates with Sterile Processing Departments (SPD) to ensure Sterile Processing staff, are properly trained and operating within the guidelines set forth by various industry standards and regulations including, but not limited to IAHCSMM, CBSPD, AORN, The Joint Commission, FDA, CDC, OSHA, and AAMI.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Responsible for staff training and continuous assessments of skills and knowledge to include decontamination, instrument tray assembly, instrument tray storage, sterilization processes and standard precautions to ensure patient safety. Performs new hire staff orientation.
- Facilitates individual, team and department performance management that include competency development and evaluation, change management processes, work and accountability processes, performance consultation and mentoring staff, and development of job/performance aids.
- Provides programs that support staff's ability to learn, adapt and change swiftly as new technology emerges and clinical practice evolves.
- Performs random proactive quality checks of instrument sets and case carts. Collects data for tray errors, missing instrument, documents and reports findings to SPD leadership. Develops training for staff to address identified gaps.
- Performs retroactive quality checks collects, tracks, researches, resolves and provides follow-up with SPD leadership on collected data related to instrumentation and supplies.
- Routinely works various shifts to perform quality checks and provide training to the off shifts.
- Develops program to monitor and review biological control culturing procedures for sterilizers to ensure equipment is operating according to standard.
- Develops and maintains a tracking system for materials and equipment prepared and issued by SPD in the event of a recall.
- Maintains a liaison with the operating room managers and staff on tray rightsizing and proper techniques for processing trays in the operating room in preparation for decontamination.
- Maintains documentation relating to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning, delivering, and managing training and development activities.
- Provides technical assistance to SPD staff for the assembly of complex surgical instrument sets and provides technical assistance to surgical techs and other Perioperative clinical staff for instrument related issues.
- Responsible for the knowledge-transfer and ongoing education of staff as they prepare for certifications such as CBSPD (Certification Board of Sterile Processing & Distribution) or IAHCSMM (International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management).
- Ensures resources are available to assist staff in maintaining required CEUs needed for their certifications and makes sure staff keeps certifications up to date so that they do not lapse.
- Responsible for documentation and record maintenance for all team member competencies in the Sterile Processing Department including managers and supervisors Conducts audits of staff training records to ensure compliance with governing guidelines
- Works with SPD leadership team in the planning and implementation of clinical service unit and departmental goals, development of policy and procedures, and annual competencies. Assists leadership in the collection of other data for performance improvement initiatives as necessary.
- Demonstrates compliance with patient safety and risk management protocols including standard precautions and infection control policies.
- Creates a climate of innovation through role modeling, consultation, research and facilitation of learning.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelors in a healthcare related field preferred.
Four years in Central Sterile Services; supervisory or educator role experience preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Current certification as a Sterile Processing Technician through an accredited organization (CRCST- Certified Registered Central Service Tech, IAHCSMM, or Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician CBSPD) Certification in Healthcare Leadership (CHL) preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Clinical Research Coordinator, University of North Carolina, United States, about 11 hours ago
Posting Information Position Type Permanent Staff (SHRA) Is this an internal only recruitment? No Position Title Soc/Clin Research Assistant - Journey Working Title Clinical Research Coordinator P...
Principal Software Engineer, University of North Carolina, United States, 15 days ago
Posting Information Position Type Permanent Staff (EHRA NF) Department Lineberger Compr Cancer Center-426801 Working Title Principal Software Engineer Appointment Type EHRA Non-Faculty Research Po...
Research Technician Iii (Zylka Lab) , UNC-Chapel Hill, United States, 1 day ago
Classification Title: Research Technician III (Zylka Lab) Working Title: Research Technician III (Zylka Lab) Campus: UNC-Chapel Hill Region: Piedmont/Triangle Job Summary: The Department of Cell B...
Research Technician I (Zylka Lab), University of North Carolina, United States, 9 days ago
Posting Details Position Type Temporary Staff (SHRA) Job Title Research Technician I (Zylka Lab) Department Name Cell Biology and Physiology - 422001 Vacancy ID S016417 Position Posting Category R...
Research Technician Iii (Zylka Lab), University of North Carolina, United States, about 11 hours ago
Posting Details Position Type Temporary Staff (SHRA) Job Title Research Technician III (Zylka Lab) Department Name Cell Biology and Physiology - 422001 Vacancy ID S016452 Position Posting Category...
Front End Developer, University of North Carolina, United States, 6 days ago
Posting Information Position Type Permanent Staff (EHRA NF) Department Renaissance Computing Inst-637100 Working Title Front-End Developer Appointment Type EHRA Non-Faculty Position Posting Catego...