Standardized Patient Clinical Educator - 16539
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Center for Advancing Professional Excellence (CAPE)
Standardized Patient Clinical Educator
Position #1080 – Requisition 16539
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CAPE has an opening multiple part-time, University Staff (unclassified) Standardized Patient Clinical Educators.
This is an open-continuous announcement. This requisition will be used to fill multiple vacancies in the department.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here .
Nature of Work:
This part-time, monthly-hourly University Staff (unclassified) position is located at the University of Colorado School of Medicine Center for Advancing Professional Excellence (CAPE). The CAPE provides modern medical simulation education that incorporates clinical scenarios, clinical instructors, mannequins of varying degrees of fidelity, and learners at any level of training into a robust teaching and learning environment. The CAPE is comprised of 7 full-time team members and over 60 part-time clinical educators.
The Standardized Patient Clinical Educator (SPCE) will portray or simulate a role in an array of cases for learners or others, accurately and consistently. The SPCE will also be asked to complete checklists and evaluations on learners’ performance, as needed, and give appropriate feedback to learners regarding their performance.
Additional information on the CAPE can be found at –
Examples of Work Performed:
- Portray appropriate symptoms and/or emotion(s).
- Provide behavioral and skill-based feedback to the learner.
- Accurately complete required checklists.
- Provide learners with specific, accurate, unbiased feedback on communication skills and instruct them on ways to build a positive patient-provider relationship.
- Consistently give correct opening statement without embellishments or omissions.
- Respond only with information in script or information discussed in training.
- Actively engage in required trainings and mock sessions.
Search Process Details:
The recruitment and selection process may include one or all of the following:
• Structured application review based on the minimum and preferred qualifications.
• A brief computer test to assess your computer skills level.
• Completion of a brief checklist.
• A brief role playing session to assess your portrayal abilities.
• A simulation test to assess your ability to follow detailed instructions.
• Search committee interview.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable
The hiring range for this position is $17/hr - $23.45/hr and is commensurate with years of experience as a Standardized patient. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Two years of work experience in the occupational field or specialized subject area of the work assigned to the job. Relevant fields include: Performing Arts, Theater, Nursing, Patient Care, Clinical/Medical Research, Medical Simulation, or closely related assignment.
Substitution: College or university course work, related to the work assignment, may substitute on a year-for-year basis.
Bonafide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ): The available work in the CAPE for Standardized Patient positions is based upon curriculum, supplying a realistic educational experience that produces qualified health professionals and real life patient populations. The CAPE may occasionally need to filter applicants for these positions based on the sex of the applicant, in order to meet the needs of specific health case scenarios. For example: only women can be booked for obstetrics and gynecology cases. For this reason, applicants must identify whether they are male or female at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must have access to regular use of a computer with internet access.
- Must be willing and able to work part-time, with sporadic work schedules, as well as non-guaranteed work hours.
- Must be willing and able to work at least 50 hours per quarter.
- Must be willing and able to attend project related trainings and mock sessions.
- Must be willing and able to fully portray and/or simulate medical case scenarios physically and mentally.
- Must be willing and able to travel on short notice to various off-site locations as needed and/or as requested.
- Must be willing and able to subject to personal physical examinations as they pertain to the necessary job duties of the position, including but not limited to: abdominal exams, chest exams (heart, lungs), knee exams, musculoskeletal exams, neurological exams, etc.
- Must be willing and able to work during the following busy periods each year:
- February through May (trainings begin in January)
- September through November (trainings begin in August)
- Prior experience working in a similar position, portraying health-related case scenarios for educational purposes.
- Experience teaching or training in an academic medical and/or clinical research environment.
- Experience that demonstrates knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Experience completing complex checklists accurately and consistently.
- Experience using EMS Software or similar clinical software program.
- Experience using Microsoft Office and/or similar computer applications.
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and/or similar computer applications.
- Ability to work well with a variety of people including members of the Center, faculty, staff, students, proctors, teaching associates, and clinical educators.
- Ability to communicate clearly, professionally and effectively with a variety of people including faculty, staff, students, and clinical educators.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks.
- Ability to be well organized in all work aspects.
- Ability to work proactively on projects and tasks, anticipating project, client and team needs for success.
- Ability to independently track schedule and number of hours worked using an electronic tracking system.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Capacity for flexibility and adaptability in different work situations.
- Ability to memorize large amounts of information, repeat it back, and answer related questions.
- Computer skills, including ability to learn and then work with the following programs: Education Management Solution Software, Microsoft Office, Word, Outlook.
- Demonstrated computer literacy with MAC or PC programs.
- Ability to memorize large amounts of information, repeat it back, and answer related questions.
- Ability to access and utilize the online scheduling software to sign-up for projects.
- Demonstrated ability to receive ongoing feedback from an SP Educator and/or Faculty Member and modify behaviors accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to be trained and instructed, as well as willingness to work cooperatively with learners, other SPCE’s, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated flexibility and reliability with scheduling and assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to easily establish rapport with a wide variety of individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately portray all aspects of a case scenario as trained including history of current problem, affect/behavior and physical findings.
- Flexibility and reliability with scheduling and assignments.
- Willingness and ability to subject to personal physical examinations as they pertain to the necessary job duties of the position.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants: *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Melissa Giardina at Melissa.Giardina @ucdenver.edu. Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions: APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
: Administrative Support and Related
Department: U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS - 21351 - SOM - Dean DO
: Aug 15, 2019
Posting Contact Name: Melissa Giardina
Posting Contact Email: Melissa.Giardina @ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00001080
Executive Director, Equal Opportunity And Title Ix Coordinator, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493121 Work type:Staff Full-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Human Resources Please send all nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest in confidence and electronicall...
Master Electrician, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493107 Work type:Staff Full-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Maintenance / Grounds / Skilled Trades Vision Enrich the University of Denver's global prominence and community imp...
Research Professor (Open Rank), Fatherhood Mental Health, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493109 Work type:Faculty Full-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Faculty The University of Denver (DU) is a top-ranked university in a thriving city at the base of the Rocky Moun...
Academic Advisor, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493129 Work type:Staff Full-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Academic Advising University Academic Programs comprises multiple programs that advance the academic mission of the...
Instructional Curriculum Coach, Marsico Institute For Early Learning, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493108 Work type:Staff Part-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Teacher (Early Childhood), Research The Marsico Institute for Early Learning is housed in the Morgridge College of ...
Associate Director Of Academic Advising, University of Denver, United States, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:493125 Work type:Staff Full-Time Location:Denver, CO Categories:Academic Advising, Student Affairs / Services University Academic Programs comprises multiple programs that advance...